Low on oil

General Bike chat
Superhawk Stu

Low on oil

Post by Superhawk Stu »

Hi all,
Had a bit of a small disaster one night, turns out during a previous oil service somebody fitted an oil filter a bit on the too long side (watch out for that) meaning it's spent the last few thou miles rubbing against the belly pan...then the rubbing split the filter :(
As I was a few miles from home and with no means of stopping where I was I carefully rode it home...I kinda had no choice, I thankfully made it without the oil light popping on but it was losing it all the way, all over my boots and the rest of the bike, back tyre etc.
I've had it serviced about a mile from home- took it the next day-but the oil light was starting to flicker in the way to the garage.
I was careful all the way and have been concerned but I also feel ok bout it, just a little concerned as I don't know what to watch for after this type of situation.

Have to say I'm glad and very thankful I wasn't hurtling through the countryside at a million mph but tootling through the town when this happened, or I'd be upside down in a field somewhere or worse :-S

Any thoughts and advice about the oil please? Apparently there wasn't a lot left when it was serviced next day.

Thanks in advance... :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cgjbts
W: www.driversscotland.co.uk
E: info@driversscotland.co.uk
:) Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
VTRDark

Re: Low on oil

Post by VTRDark »

Most people round here use the fully synthetic castrol. :thumbup:

What brand oil filter did you have fitted? I have never herd of an oil filter being worn away by a fairing before. Was that with the standard bikini style lower fairing? I had a sump plug come out before (not on VTR) at 80mph and all the oil pissed out over the back wheel. The first I knew of it was when the wheel started to slide all over the place. :eek2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

this is bad news on a number of fronts......the obvious one being oil all over your back tyre, so as you say you were very lucky that you didnt have a big crash.......the hidden one is what damage was done on all the bearing shells that rely on a pressure fed oil film to prevent metal on metal contact [the roller bearings would be OK for a few miles without an oil bath]. When the oil light is on, there is no oil pressure so all the plain bush bearings [big ends, and cams] will have had some metal to metal contact, but as you took it easy, there is a good chance it is still ok.

If it were mine, I would have the rear cam cover off and remove the cams to see if there is any scoring marks on the caps or the cam journals, then I would just run it as normal and keep an eye out for any new noises or vibration which would be the sign of some bearing wear...........if you dont hear or feel anything different then youy are fine, just go ride it and enjoy.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's no point worrying about it, what's done is done, I agree with AMcQ that you might as well just keep riding it- in the absence of any engine noises you'll be ok.

Trouble is you'll imaging every little tap, cough and bang as impending doom now.

Oil filters are varying in size, just make sure you have enough clearance all round the filter when reassembling.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Stu without sounding patronising, but do you know how to change a filter and oil?.

If not its the most basic thing to learn on a bike which you should know.
pariah

Post by pariah »

Ouch
First thing is to check for enging damage. Start her up and get her to 5000 revs, place your hand on the foot pegs to check for any increase in vibration. Also, you might feel the increse in vibration whilst riding at this speed.
This happened to me and it had picked up the shell on the right bearing which moves it slightly and blocks the oil circulation hole and starves it from oil . :thumbdown:
Superhawk Stu

Low on oil

Post by Superhawk Stu »

tony.mon wrote:
Trouble is you'll imaging every little tap, cough and bang as impending doom now.
Hahaha DON'T I KNOW IT !!!

I've been out for a spin...hmmm I think it'll be ok...

I had the light flicker on/off for about 1 mile only and that depended upon the gradient as well lol managed to clean the bike up :) so I took a photo or two Image Image

Thanks for all the advice. I do know how to do oil changes but I have neither the time or facility...if anyone knows Burns St Bikes in Edinburgh, Bill there looks after loads of bikes and has a really good reputation, recommended!
I've no idea what the old oil filter was but the standard fairing may have been a bit loose and might be sitting incorrectly to cause the abrasion against the filter in the first place.
Enjoy the pix ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:Most people round here use the fully synthetic castrol. :thumbup:

What brand oil filter did you have fitted? I have never herd of an oil filter being worn away by a fairing before. Was that with the standard bikini style lower fairing? I had a sump plug come out before (not on VTR) at 80mph and all the oil pissed out over the back wheel. The first I knew of it was when the wheel started to slide all over the place. :eek2

(:-})
Sure most people use semi synthetic?

Popular one is a the Castrol Power 1 10w 30 GPS (not the racing version, which is fully synthetic)

Must have been on for bloody ages that filter for plastic to wear through metal, probably long over due a change
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I agree with Seb, semi is best.

As for plastic cutting metal, it can be much quicker than think. Especially if you have some vibration to give relative motion between the 2 parts.
AMcQ
Superhawk Stu

Low on oil

Post by Superhawk Stu »

It probably was quite a while and it was scabby looking as well but it was previously looked after by a cop, and I've not even done 500 miles on it yet :-P I think by the time any grit gets in there it's not gonna be long with all the vibrations before it split.

Hopefully I'll get out for more miles soon, this weather is really sucky at the moment lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk