making the bike my own

General Bike chat
twist

making the bike my own

Post by twist »

it's been a while so I thought I'd come by and check in. I've been busy with my VTR. I did the TPS adjustment and have the machine running cleanly at low rpm in 1st and 2nd gear. I got the cam chain tensioners in and adjusted, must be correctly as the chain isn't rattling and it hasn't jumped a gear tooth. Today I finished installing a set of two brothers carbon fiber exhaust. The OEM cans are heavier than expected, one can weighs more than both new cans together. Much louder, I'm not a fan of louder, but it sounds like it'll chew up the pavement when it's wrapped up and running hot! The cans came with a separate baffle that quiets things down a tad but it has to be installed when the cans are apart for packing. They are loud but I think I'll adjust.
Rob

Re: making the bike my own

Post by Rob »

Got a set of Two Brothers Cans this week.

Came with the seperate DB killer which I installed tonight - took 10 minutes, you just have to take the tip off.

They will hopefully go on the bike tomorrow which is in bits for other mods, but hopefully it will all come together.

One thing about the Two Brothers Cans - they look good and they look LOUD! :biggrin
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm looking forward to hearing these TB cans. The funny thing is the TB are one of the only two exhausts mentioned in the Factory Pro jet kit install instructions they supply. So they must be pretty good if FP have used them in testing.

I'm glad you have got your tensioners all done twist with no problems. You can have peace of mind now. And the TPS is a good move. Are you still running the standard jetting or have you done Hawks set up yet?

I love loud cans. Loud cans save lifes. :) One of the first things I done when I got my storm was to change the cans. I ended up getting some SP1 Arata's on the bay of evil which I absolutely love. It was fun and games modding them to fit, but I always had a mid mounted (SP RC45) style in mind.

It's about time we shared some pics with you after all you posted on the welcome.

ENJOY!!!!!!
Here's some pics of my Storm/Hawk for you. :wink:

And here's the latest after a good wash and polish.

Looking nice and shiny now.

And after the good old British weather.

A picture say's a thousand words. :lol:

And to finish this post off here's a video of my cans just after I first installed them.
[youtube][/youtube]

And here one where me and a fellow forum member decided to to a decibel test.
I won with the loudest at 119.7db :biggrin
[youtube][/youtube]

Catch you later Twist and take care buddy. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
twist

Post by twist »

thanks for the pics, I need to do the same. My bird is, RED, what a surprise! I haven't posted pix because I figure they all look the same at first. I haven't done hawks mod yet but I have all the parts. Need to do the PAIR too. This is the funnest bike I've had so far. I really loved my '70 Triumph TR-6C Trophy. My beemer was a kick but this bike just makes me grin when I ride. It's such an under appreciated machine, good for me 'cause I got it cheap with low miles and stock from a guy who was afraid of her. This one LOVES to romp! I'll post a few fotos.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing these TB cans. The funny thing is the TB are one of the only two exhausts mentioned in the Factory Pro jet kit install instructions they supply. So they must be pretty good if FP have used them in testing.

Don't think FP have heard of most of the European made cans we get here, tbh.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

thanks for the pics, I need to do the same.
Ooops, I'm getting you confused with someone else. it's one of the other yanks that joined recently who posted more than the usual amount of pics/vids in his welcome.
Glad your enjoying your bike, mine just wants to pull my arms off. :lol: and yes your right they are very under appreciated and overlooked when purchasing a bike. I intend on keeping mine for a very long time. So I don't mind spending some money on her adding some bling and mods. Next year I want to get a re-spray, painted frame, swingarm and wheels.
Don't think FP have heard of most of the European made cans we get here, tbh
I don't think FP have heard of Europe :lol: :lol:

thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

What link pipes you using to get them sitting like that
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They came with the cans.
The right hand side was a straight fit with no problems at all but with the left side I ended up having to cut the bend off and fitted a 90degeree mandrel pipe to get it to fit.

Left side

Right side

And the hangers.

It's all looking a bit more tidy now as I have got rid of the P Clips that attach to the bottom of the rearsets and used some Black silicone around the pipe connections. :thumbup:

Last edited by VTRDark on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo

Post by simo »

VFR bars are they Cybercarl ..? Did all the pipes and wires fit ok? The fairing looks standard as well .
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I'm not having a pop at anyone here, and I run Scorpion cans without the baffles as they sound good and cars move over, but saying "loud cans save lives" then fitting miniscule indicators to you bike seems a tad contradictory to me. Save lives the cans may do, but I want to prolong mine too so I have returned to the standard rear indicators so people can see what I am intending to do.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Stratman wrote:I'm not having a pop at anyone here, and I run Scorpion cans without the baffles as they sound good and cars move over, but saying "loud cans save lives" then fitting miniscule indicators to you bike seems a tad contradictory to me. Save lives the cans may do, but I want to prolong mine too so I have returned to the standard rear indicators so people can see what I am intending to do.

Amen to that.., can't see the attraction of small or no indicators at all. Other thing is bikes without mirrors... all of which are the biggest life savers.. :think:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

VFR bars are they Cybercarl ..? Did all the pipes and wires fit ok? The fairing looks standard as well .
I did have VFR bars on for a while. I had no problems with any of the wires and brake and clutch lines where OK too. But I have aftermarket lines so they are generally a tad longer than standard. I also did not need to cut the fairing as my forks are dropped 10mm so had no clearance issues. I didn't get on with the bars though, didn't like the feel and went back to standard.

Guys your not wrong about the indicators. I hate them but have clearance issues with the cans being up there. Once my undertray and numberplate bracket is on things will be a bit different. But loud cans are most useful when filtering through traffic where indicators are not in use :) and it's my vision and being alert which is my main safety.

twist

Post by twist »

http://tinyurl.com/9387nkv

One pic of the VTR. will figure pics out but this will have to do just now
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Link no worky, and I logged into the hawk site.

Adding an image is simple, it's the same as on the hawk site. Use an online image host and post the image between image tags

Code: Select all

[img]pic goes here[/img]
:wink:

TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Carl, where did you get the staps that you got around the link pipes, I want to fit a set of straps on mine, but non of the bike shops down here do them in small enough dia
tony