oil

General Bike chat
lumpyv

Re: oil

Post by lumpyv »

bazza696 wrote:I use a laser level on the tank and line it up with a calculated scale on the shed wall, when they intersect perfectly at 182.75mm I know the bike is up right. Align the viewing glass with a mirror screwed to the shed floor that casts it image to another down by the front wheel then up to one in front of me like a HID so I can see the level perfect.

no bending down, now strain, no hassle. I even check the level when I don't need to cause its so easy, sometimes I just watch the oil fall back down after a ride out, very therapeutic

bazza , i just bought some walnuts. i couldn,t borrow your sledgehammer could i ?
:lol: :lol:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

If something is worth doing, then do it right.

On a more serious note, the top of the range mk1 Clio used to have an oil level gauge that you switch the ignition before starting the car you could read the level, wonder if this possible.

Or shall I stick to using my inspection mirror.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

When I check oil I do this when the bike is cold so most the oil is in the pan to get a better reading, i like to have it sat at max fill line or just under it, I also get a mate to stand at the front and hold it for upright for me.
I don't like to mix oils, topped up the blade with 10-30 when it had 10-40 in it, was an emergency, bike made strange tapping noise like worn shims, a full oil change later and it went again, I stick to same viscosity and same brand usually

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033

Post by Image »

I sit on the bike and use a mirror to see the oil window. Easy.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

...reading this post has made me want to check my oil! Ooo but which technique to use!!?? Can't wait. :D
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

1. Sit on the bike, hold it upright on level ground. (Don't do this wearing shorts when the exhaust is hot).
2. Get the significant other to check the oil.
3. If low, get the SO to fetch the spare oil from the garage or shed, as you're holding the bike up.
4. If there's no spare oil, get the SO to drive to the shop to buy some. (In the meantime, watch some racing on telly).
5. Hold the bike upright, helpfully holding your leg out of the way to reveal the filler cap.
6. Reach down and loosen the filler cap, as it's quite tight and they can't quite manage.
7. Get them to fetch the roll of kitchen roll and funnel.
8. Get them to carefully tip oil in until they can see it's up to the high level.
9. Get them to carefully wipe round the area with kitchen roll to make sure there's no oil drips.
While they're there, they might as well do the whole engine.
10. Put the bike on its sidestand, leaving them wiping, and go and get the bucket and sponge etc from the garage/shed. You can do this yourself otherwise it's taking the piss.
11. Helpfully fill the bucket with hot sudsy water for her/him.
12. Wait a while. (You can watch the end of the race on telly to fill the time).
13. Take pictures and post them on forum showing how clean the bike is.
14. To show it's not all one-way, empty the ashtray in SO's car.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

tony.mon wrote:1. Sit on the bike, hold it upright on level ground. (Don't do this wearing shorts when the exhaust is hot).
2. Get the significant other to check the oil.
3. If low, get the SO to fetch the spare oil from the garage or shed, as you're holding the bike up.
4. If there's no spare oil, get the SO to drive to the shop to buy some. (In the meantime, watch some racing on telly).
5. Hold the bike upright, helpfully holding your leg out of the way to reveal the filler cap.
6. Reach down and loosen the filler cap, as it's quite tight and they can't quite manage.
7. Get them to fetch the roll of kitchen roll and funnel.
8. Get them to carefully tip oil in until they can see it's up to the high level.
9. Get them to carefully wipe round the area with kitchen roll to make sure there's no oil drips.
While they're there, they might as well do the whole engine.
10. Put the bike on its sidestand, leaving them wiping, and go and get the bucket and sponge etc from the garage/shed. You can do this yourself otherwise it's taking the piss.
11. Helpfully fill the bucket with hot sudsy water for her/him.
12. Wait a while. (You can watch the end of the race on telly to fill the time).
13. Take pictures and post them on forum showing how clean the bike is.
14. To show it's not all one-way, empty the ashtray in SO's car.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Brill, ill print out and explain to my SO!!!

Griff
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

That made me chuckle Tony, very nicely put :lol::lol: