Forking 'ell

General Bike chat
pricey

Forking 'ell

Post by pricey »

Just been reading my 'BIKE' mag and thought I would scan the review on our beloveds. It mentions in there that the forks are crap, is the forum in agreement? Anyone changed them? Did it make a big difference?

I think I will stick to changing the screen for now! :wink:
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
buzz

Post by buzz »

yes forks are cack depending on how u ride , loads of info on here about forks , most re spring and re valve , i changed mine for blade forks
before that i set them up to revolution rogers recomedations to good affect . for all u need to know about storm sussies speak to roger at revolution racing , i have'nt got a link but it will be on here somewere

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Yep, general consensus is the suspension is the weak link on an otherwise fantastic bike.

Along with most people, I have replaced the rear shock with a Penske one. Made a huge difference. I'll be replacing the front forks with some Fireblade ones very shortly. However, you could get away with just having the existing forks resprung. "Da Man" for this job is Roger Ditchfield at Revolution Racing. Give him a call - his number is 07970915259. He can also supply the Penske rear shock, sprung for your weight, at very a reasonable price.

I think your looking at around £400 for a rear shock and around £200-250 for the front end.

But, I guess it really depends on your riding. Normal riding, the bike will be fine as is. If you are planning track days and fast road riding then your probably better off getting the mods made.

Cheers
Wayne
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

WayneM wrote:Yep, general consensus is the suspension is the weak link on an otherwise fantastic bike.

Along with most people, I have replaced the rear shock with a Penske one. Made a huge difference. I'll be replacing the front forks with some Fireblade ones very shortly. However, you could get away with just having the existing forks resprung. "Da Man" for this job is Roger Ditchfield at Revolution Racing. Give him a call - his number is 07970915259. He can also supply the Penske rear shock, sprung for your weight, at very a reasonable price.

I think your looking at around £400 for a rear shock and around £200-250 for the front end.

But, I guess it really depends on your riding. Normal riding, the bike will be fine as is. If you are planning track days and fast road riding then your probably better off getting the mods made.

Cheers
Wayne
The only thing about the blade forks is that you should really get them re-sprung/valved to suit the firestorm as it is a lot heavier than the blade they came from!! 8O
Robbe

suspenders

Post by Robbe »

Got my forks revalved and re-sprung.
The difference it made was immediate. You can feel the forks reacting to ripples in the road, plus pot holes didnt bottom out the forks.
Riding back from Roger's the front felt a lot higher, actually felt like the back end was lower than normal.
The following week i got a Penske fitted and all was sorted.
Getting the Penske made even more of a difference.
Can now feel what the back end is doing.
Limiting factor now on my storm is the tyres. M90's are cack, looking at putting some Azaro's on it.

If you can afford it, get forks done, £200.
The Penske was £490, but dont know if the price has gone up, since Demon Tweeks are flogging em for £536 now.
PLus speaking to Roger about the Penske, he gets em from the Racing Division, not the normal factory.

Robb
pricey

Post by pricey »

Thanks guys,

I think I might have to save for a week or two. The prices quoted are they fitted prices? Where is Roger based? Don't tell me, knowing my luck darn south right? :cry:

Ride safe and thanks.
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

pricey wrote:Thanks guys,

I think I might have to save for a week or two. The prices quoted are they fitted prices? Where is Roger based? Don't tell me, knowing my luck darn south right? :cry:

Ride safe and thanks.
http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk
Fluffy

Roger the VTR God.......

Post by Fluffy »

Is not down south, but up (to some) in Lancashire just off the M6 not far from Garstang.

Fluffy
I see no Firestorm......
buzz

Post by buzz »

Al
10kg is less than the difference between me and a fat bloke , and sometimes fat blokes ride blades and storms

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz :lol: :lol: :lol:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Roger the VTR God.......

Post by firestorm_al »

Fluffy wrote:Is not down south, but up (to some) in Lancashire just off the M6 not far from Garstang.

Fluffy
It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay down souwff to me mate! :wink: :wink: