6mm rear shock spacer

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
macfreebe

6mm rear shock spacer

Post by macfreebe »

I see you can get a 6 mm spacer for the rear shock on ebay to lift rear of bike .Dose this make a difference ?6mm not much but they say it changes steering on the storm .
VTRDark

Re: 6mm rear shock spacer

Post by VTRDark »

Dose this make a difference
Yes is the simple answer.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24612

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
macfreebe

Post by macfreebe »

Cheers man
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

A 6mm lift is a high as the VTR wants to remain stable. Alternitively if you have an adjustable aftermarket damper you can increase the shock length "centre eye to centre eye" from 247mm to 250mm and as the rising ratio of the linkage is effectively 2:1 the effect of quicker turning will be the same. Ideally this should only be done on bikes where the forks that have had some degree of tuning as the OEM forks "bottom out" under hard breaking and any action that increases the loading on the front tyre can only exaggerate the problem. The effect would be most noticable under breaking on the approach to high speed bends where the extra loading could push the front tyre away effectively losing the front end. The shortcomings and remedies of the VTR forks are well documented on all the VTR related sites and my personal recommendation is if you have not upgraded the forks to some degree then you are safer leaving everything standard and riding the bike within its capabilities.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

All so if you use scrubs (track tyres) don't use the shock spacer as I've found the rear tyre lifts the enough on its own .
With both fitted the bike is very twitchy, to much so for road use .
Having the suspension set up for your own weight is the way forward
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Roger Ditchfield wrote:A 6mm lift is a high as the VTR wants to remain stable. Alternitively if you have an adjustable aftermarket damper you can increase the shock length "centre eye to centre eye" from 247mm to 250mm and as the rising ratio of the linkage is effectively 2:1 the effect of quicker turning will be the same. Ideally this should only be done on bikes where the forks that have had some degree of tuning as the OEM forks "bottom out" under hard breaking and any action that increases the loading on the front tyre can only exaggerate the problem. The effect would be most noticable under breaking on the approach to high speed bends where the extra loading could push the front tyre away effectively losing the front end. The shortcomings and remedies of the VTR forks are well documented on all the VTR related sites and my personal recommendation is if you have not upgraded the forks to some degree then you are safer leaving everything standard and riding the bike within its capabilities.
Entirely agree, however if you've reduced weight, especially at the rear (lighter cans and/or a lightweight battery make a difference here) then the effect is reduced.

Honda got mass centralisation AFTER they made the Storm, but we have the advantage that the bike is quite long, with correspondingly slower steering, and so at least tankslappers are rare.
(Try to avoid max acceleration while leant over running the front tyre on cat's eyes, however, as that WILL provoke a reaction....) :eek2
Again, weight reductions all help.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Having the suspension set up for your own weight is the way forward
I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Though IMO I think the spacer is a good temporary solution until one can afford to upgrade the suspension. Especially the front end. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside