not happy!

General Bike chat
markg

not happy!

Post by markg »

got my Storm last Friday and have rode it every day except yesterday and been well chuffed so far.
yesterday it was pissing down so I wisely left her in the shed and suffered the car on the way to work.
woke up this morning and the sun was out so I thought great...lets go to work on the bike...only trouble was that the battery was almost dead,only just enough power to turn in over but not enough to fire her up.
when I got the bike I thought it turned over slow but thought maybe it was normal as I was used to a screaming 4.
to cap it all the dealer I bought it from were not very interested. first they suggest I take the battery to them so they can charge it...not very easy when i'm at work methinks...anyway,I can charge it up.
they were not prepared to trailer the bike away so now i've got to have tomorrow off work,find a way of starting it and then probably wait around at the dealers all day while they fix it...f,king great 'eh?
anybody else had any probs?just in case its more than the battery.
spose I shouldnt complain coz after 6 days of owning the bike i certainly aint going to pay for repairs or a new battery.
how quickly does a storm turn over on the starter?mine has always sounded a bit slow on the starter :cry:
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Buy an Optimate.
When i was using it daily, i would bung it on the optimate over the weekend.
Since its not been used for the past 4 weeks, it's sat connected, keeps the battery nice and fresh.
B4 i got the optimate, it seemed a bit slow to turn over, now it spins up fine.

Robb
markg

Post by markg »

how much is an optimate charger :?:
got home from work and put the battery on charge for half an hour and reluctantly she started,not before i'd filled the pistons with fuel and the exhaust had let out the biggest backfire possible.Just as well that I havent got racecans yet as the terrorist squad would have invaded the street :lol:
will wait and see what the dealer says tomorrow..there could be trouble ahead :evil:
slimreaper

Post by slimreaper »

Got my optimiser from the NEC last year. £25 and no more problems with alarms killing the battery
rehab is for quitters
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

It might be worth getting a multi-meter to measure your battery voltage while the bike is running and with some revs to see if the voltage goes over 15V.

The bad starting was the first sign that my battery wasn't holding a charge and the fault was eventually traced to a faulty regulator/rectifier unit not regulating the voltage off the alternator therefore killing the battery by over charging.

Al.
pricey

optimate is great

Post by pricey »

Bought my optimate when I had my R6 in 2000, the bloody bike had an alarm and was sucking the battery flat faster than a hoover at a hard on convention :lol:

Get one they are great, even got some nice wires to pop the connecter through to the underseat or even down by the side of the panel.
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
markg

Post by markg »

charged the battery fully last night,put a tester on and the voltage was about 14.8 volts with the engine running and 13.5 when not running.
this morning I checked the battery and it had only just over 12 volts in it,and guess what?..not enough to start her.
charging it up now,hopefully its just a duff battery.
markg

Post by markg »

just got back from the dealers...polite and prompt service and a brand new battery...

i'm one happy firestorm rider again :D :D :D
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

markg wrote:just got back from the dealers...polite and prompt service and a brand new battery...

i'm one happy firestorm rider again :D :D :D
Result!!!