Fuel tank range

General Bike chat
markg

Fuel tank range

Post by markg »

this is probably a stupid question so sorry in advance :D
only got my Storm on Friday,and I knew in adavance that the tank range wasn't great but heres a question for you.
got to approx 90 miles on the trip meter before the fuel light came on and then rode for about another 10 before I refuelled.I got less than 14 litres in the tamk which in theory means that there was over 2 litres of fuel left.
Does this all sound normal :?: how much further could I have rode with those two litres of fuel :?:
I know it is a daft question but with a 30 mile journey to work i'd just like to know how far I can push my luck after the low fuel light comes on
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Funnily enough we finally got some decent weather here today :D so I wheeled the storm out and blew out the cobwebs. The fuel light came on as usual at about 90 miles :cry: , no probs I thought 8) and made my way to a petrol station near Stratford only to find it was closed on Sundays :? . I then had to carry on in 6th gear at about 3000 rpm until I came across another station. Total miles with reserve light on was 16 miles. Dont know if any one has gone further but would be interested to know as its bound to happen again :oops: . Funny thing is within 2 miles off filling up I was back blasting across the backroads towards home, the roads were dry the sun was out and I really couldnt give a toss about the tank range. :lol:
markg

Post by markg »

I know what you mean about not really giving a toss Blackstorm :D
I'd just got home when a mate turned up on his Daytona and we went for another 30 nile blast,most of it at high speed.Now i'll definately have to fill up again tomorrrow if I take the bike to work...but it was worth it :lol:
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Like your style. Welcome to storm addiction
masked gerbal

Fuel

Post by masked gerbal »

Went for a blast at the weekend after the Scottish Motor Cycle Show. Went down to the borders from Edinburgh and did about 118 mls. Did all of this before the reserve light came and the trip was done at high speed, infact got up, nah better not say!, but it was fffffffffaaaaaaaaaaasssssssttttttt. Anyway I put alot of it down to the K&N and the ART cans. Bike runs a lot better with them on, sounds F'ing great and get 118mls before reserve light comes on.....God life is sweet.

Masked G :D
Now got the ART - Watch your ears !!!!
F*&^ Me They Set Car Alarms Off Too
Great !
Teamslug

K+N Filter

Post by Teamslug »

The K+N filter did you just put it straight on :?: with no re jetting :?: and if ya did is everything ok fueling wise not running lean :?:
Ive got ART cans on and have allways been told you have to have the carbs jetted/fiddled with if you put on a K+N
masked gerbal

Fueling

Post by masked gerbal »

Hello Sluggy

K&N filter went straight on. Well I say straight on but the firestorm is a bit quirky when it come to getting at the filter. You have to take the tank off of course, but the fuel tape isn't the easiest to get too. Anyway after washing the garage floor with petrol, it needed a clean, the cover comes off the air box and the K&N slips in easy as you like. Sorted.

With regards to the ART cans you dont need to re-jet, and thats straight from the horses mouth, ie ART. I e-mailed them and got a great relpy from Chris at ART, see for your self.

First Question
Do I need to rejet with a set of ART Pro Sport II cans on a Firestorm. ?
Answer
Hi
You don't need to rejet but you will get even larger gains if you do.
Regards
Chris White

ART Automotive Ltd
Unit 1 Fairway Court
Wigwam Lane
Hucknall
Notts
NG15 7SZ
England
Tel 08700 777701 Fax 08700 777702
info@artexhausts.com
Second Question:-
Hello Chris

Thanks for replying so quickly. Do you know what the basic BHP increase the
cans give is ? What could I get if I rejet ?

Can I get some free stickers ?
Answer:-
Hi
You should get 6-7 bhp without rejetting but fit a dynojet kit, K&N filter
and 5 degree ignition advancer and you could get nearer 15 bhp. Which is
nice.
Regards
Chris
Hope this helps sluggy. Bike runs great. Sounds sooooooo good. I not get 38mpg ! I LOVE MY STORM

By the way didn't get the free stickers though

Cheers

Masked G

:P
Great !
Robbe

cans an fings

Post by Robbe »

At Northern Dyno day, best from a storm was 112bhp. This had art low level cans (i fink) but wasnt dyno jetted or K & N'd.

Mine put out 108 on standard cans with D/J and K&N, but running very very rich.

Robb
markg

Post by markg »

as far as I know mine is totally standard when it comes to the engine.
16 litre tank,90-104 miles defore the light comes on,usually ride another 10 miles so i've done 115 ish miles and fill up.according to the petrol pump i've still got 1 and 3/4 litres left in the tank.
is this good or am I riding like a big girl :?: :oops: 8O :D
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Masked Gerbal,

I think ART maybe dreaming, cans, K&N, and Dynejet, 5 Degree Advancer = + 15BHP. Dream. If so then I wasted atleast a couple of grand on moriwaki pistons, carbs mods, moriwaki cams, ported and gas flowed heads, a fully mappable racing ignition etc etc. Give the man at ART ya bike and the cash up front for the mods and tell em you'll have the bike back when it's plus 15BHP. If they do it some one tell honda that's all they need to too when they designed the SP2. This is not directed at you mate

Del.
masked gerbal

Fuel

Post by masked gerbal »

Del,

Gulp..... :oops:

I only got the ART cans coz they sound F'ing good (Cheers Buzz). The bike is way fast enough for me :D . Only reason I contacted ART was to check I wasn't going to cook the pistons / valves by leaning the mixture as a result of the cans. ART are suggesting that I wont, hope they are right.

I do agree about the engine though. I use to build kit car engines and had a trick Pinto engine with Group N rally head, stockcar short engine with fancy pistons, electronic ignition blah blah blah and that only got me 25bph on top of standard...not a lot I suppose for a lot of work. As you suggest therefore ART may be dreaming a bit, but as Mr Kiplin says "There cans are F'ing Loud" or does he say something about cakes ! Which ever it is I hope Iam not burning the valves etc !

Cheers for the comment.

Your bike sound spot on by the way.

Cheers

Masked :wink:
Great !
pricey

I think this link is still to do with tank range?

Post by pricey »

Fuel light came on at 85 miles, so no surprise there right! Surprise was, where was the f**king garage :oops: No problem, town centre coming up, Crewe. sh1t sh1t sh1t, no garage, well couldn't find one :oops:

Heading for Elworth, near Crewe and now the mileage is 107 miles, an the bike starts spluttering :( oh help, late for work as well :cry: round a corner and garage in site :D , engine cuts out :cry: but I'm still free wheeling :D , I manage to free wheel all the way into the garage :lol:

So I managed 22.1 miles on the light, very risky though.
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
masked gerbal

Fuel

Post by masked gerbal »

What sort of riding were you doing when you started to run on vapours ?
Are you a red line in every gear man or do you take it easy ?
On my daily commute to work, 50% motorway 50% town, I get 108 miles when the light comes on. I regularly take it to 117 or 123 then fill up. I never put more than 14l in when I do this.

Masked G :evil:
Great !
pricey

Post by pricey »

MG,

The bike is still running in, just (this weekend) reached the first service point, so no red line yet. I guess the vapor run was at town speeds, most of the pre vapor riding was country a and b road speeds :twisted:

Sounds like you are getting much better economy than me! Nowt to do with those ART cans is it :wink:
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
masked gerbal

Fuel Range

Post by masked gerbal »

No matter what anyone says the ART cans have made a difference to the tank range. Get 106 to 110 or short trips and well into the 117-123 on longish trips and done a 135 before the light came on on a long blast !

Cheers

G
Great !