Knee Dragging on a VTR1000...

General Bike chat
markg

Post by markg »

Stormin Ben wrote: (you can still see the pinch marks on mi seat!!)
:lol: :lol: think you can see the same pinch marks on all the bikes i've owned :lol: :lol:
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

As theres talk of knee down on track days theres still a few vacancies for 8th May at Mallory on a well run friendly track day with instructors who can help if you need them. If your interested check out Rapid trainings web site and go to rapid tracks
buzz

Post by buzz »

blackstorm
have u got a link for rapid trainings web site

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Buzz.
the address is http://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/e/home.htm Because I know nothing about computers Im not sure if thats the same as a link to the site or not but Ive just been on there so it works. If I need to do something else to create a link could you let me know.
Cheers Blackstorm
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Im turning into a computer genius, 8) I created a link and I dont even know how I did it. :lol:
buzz

Post by buzz »

well done man , your a WIZARD

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz
Masu

Post by Masu »

All this chat about getting a knee down reminds me of how I was taught to do this. On Sunday out in a parking lot at a mall (I'm from Canada, eh, and we used to have Sunday shopping laws, as NO SHOPPING ON SUNDAYS!!) I buddy who raced took me out there and we just went around in a big circle, he told me to just follow him, keep my knees tight to the bike and follow his line, when he put his knee down, he also beeped his horn, and that was the signal to put my knee down, low and behold it touched!! I freaked out and almost crashed :oops: We did it several more times and I found that I could put it down at will, that was on my almost new 86 GSXR 750 (in 1987).

Since then I don't won't put a knee down here in Japan on the street, if a cop sees you doing that it is a HUGE fine. On the track I've been trying, but on the VTR, I've only had one chance, and I did not do it, I was not really comfortable on the bike yet. This year I'm sure I'll get it done!!

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
Phobia

Post by Phobia »

What do they charge you with in Japan for doing that???

Anyone know if you can get charged here? Obviously in most cases you have to be speeding but they can't radar you in the actual corner. Just wondering if they will do you for dangerous driving, not being in control or what??

I got a bollocking for pulling wheelie on to a roundabout once and he threated me with driving with undue care and attention. Just a stern bollocking this time though...
Who needs 4 cylinders when 2 sound this good... Image
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Provided you weren't weaving in and out, aggravating the cages on a busy roundabout they'd be hard pushed to pin something on you.
They'd have to prove that you were not in proper control of your vehicle. All you have to do is show that you CAN ride like that and have done so safely for a while.
Reason enough to get a mate to video/photograph you next time the weather's good!! :wink:

That said, they're all egomaniacs on a power trip so if you piss 'em off by being beligerent they'll find something to do you for.
Loud cans, small plate, dark visor, dubious paddock jacket etc
Best bet is to take the bollocking smug on the inside coz you know the minute their back's turned you'll be at it again!! :twisted:

Ben
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

As far as I know you can be done for dangerous driving if the plod catch you with your knee down, they reckon that you are not in full control of the vehicle .............. probably got that right then!!!!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Masu

Post by Masu »

Yes like Iggy 1966 said, dangerous driving, if you "touch" the yellow line in a corner you can be done too, Ihad that one myself. I came up on an cage crashed on a road, middle of a corner, they were pulling the guy out of the car (flipped) and there was crap all over the road. I was not going fast, as I got the twirling finger warning by a bike coming the other way. I braked, slowed more, and moved around the crap, I could see right through the corner and I swung a bit wide to give my self room. SOme bloody pig standing at the road about 50m down waves me over, I stop and he starts yelling at me for dangerous driving...... 8O Waddaya mean???? Cant you see the crap all over the road?????

Should have stopped if it was too dangerous to drive, not gone over the yellow line putting yourself and others in danger.......(?)

This was way out in the sticks, to fight is I would have had to go back out in the sticks, been away from the shop for most of the day and still would have had trouble with the charge, because I did cross the yellow line.

They are all pricks, I have yet to meet a nice on (on the road, traffic cops).

about a 30 GBP fine, no points....

Fun.... :roll:
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien