vtr seat removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
guitarman

vtr seat removal

Post by guitarman »

hi all,have just taken ownership of a 1998 firestorm,havnt rode it yet,but this weekend i shall be poodling around getting used to it,
havnt been riding for a couple of years
but i have a problem,ive tried everything and cannot remove the seat,and wondered if anyone could tell me if theres another way to
release the catch or lock.
would be greatful for any help cheers
guitarman
Flatline

Re: vtr seat removal

Post by Flatline »

By that I assume you have used the key and it is not releasing the catch?

Because once it is released you have to pull the seat back to unhook it at the front
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm guessing it's releasing and lifting up a bit with the key but you having problems getting it unhooked from the prongs. If you look through the gap from the side fairing you will see two metal prongs (one each side) about halfway along where the seat hooks into. You may have to get a screwdriver and hammer and give them a gentle tap forward which will then allow you push down on the centre of the seat and sort of (its hard to describe) unhook it from the prongs and lift up at the back and pull towards the rear to remove it. Once the seat is off make sure the metal prongs are far enough forward so that the seat does not get trapped again.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

They can be a bit of a pain to shift. If the catches are free then you need to give it short sharp horizontal shift towards the rear that usually releases it. The other thing to remember is that you need to be holding the key turned anticlockwise as it is spring loaded before you give it the horizontal shift.

In a nutshell: Right hand holding & turning the key anticlockwise. Left hand taking a firm grip on the cushion & push firmly horizontally & towards the back of the bike.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

once you get the seat off, you may need to take a hammer to the two metal loops, and tap them back into position as they can get dislodge slightly making it hard to get the seat off....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If all of that fails then what might have happened is that the key operated cable has come off the stay that locates it to the catch mechanism.

I was luck it happened on a scorching hot day so I was able bend the back of the seat to get access (after undoing the rear plastics) to get enough access to trip the mechanism by hand. IIRC some one else managed to gain access from underneath through the mudguard.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

When you get the seat off, take a angle grinder and cutback the humps on the inside of the latches....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat fingers and thumbs....
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

darkember

Post by darkember »

cliveyandrews wrote:When you get the seat off, take a angle grinder and cutback the humps on the inside of the latches....

Photo of exactly where to cut would be handy here so as not to bodge it up
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here a thread that may be worth a read regarding seat removal.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... hilit=seat

cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

darkember wrote:
cliveyandrews wrote:When you get the seat off, take a angle grinder and cutback the humps on the inside of the latches....

Photo of exactly where to cut would be handy here so as not to bodge it up

No worries, I'll sort a picture.... (It's pretty evident)

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

guitarman

Post by guitarman »

hi all, thank you all for your imput on said( seat removal ) ive been trying several of your ideas
but so far damm things still stuck,will try again tommorow
again thanks for your response
paul
Matty1986

Post by Matty1986 »

I had a seat problem! Couldn't get the seat on and off properly and because of this the last owner cracked the fairing so after reading this thread I tapped the two loops that the seat attaches too so they were nearly vertical. Now the seat comes on and off easy :) I suspect tho that when I get a pillion on the bike again after time they might bend back down? As there pretty weak. Atleast I know how too fix it now.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

When you do get it off...if you get it off...turn the seat over, take a spanner to the hooks & remove the bloody things the strap as well. No more getting on or off problems.

It's still held on at the front by the tank & at the rear by the catch, did this to mine shortly after buying it 7 years ago never had a problem with the seat coming off when it's not supposed to...

Sorted...

& why is this thread in knowledge base ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your right Mac. There's loads of stuff (non stickied) in the knowlagebase that does not need to be there. It needs a good clean up that section. But this is a useful thread as a common fault. I personally have it bookmarked to give the link to members. Why don't you rewrite Mac, do a seat removal tutorial with pics and tips. That would deserve being in the knowlegebase. You could even add a bit of Mac humour into it :thumbup:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
Your right Mac. There's loads of stuff (non stickied) in the knowlagebase that does not need to be there. It needs a good clean up that section. But this is a useful thread as a common fault. I personally have it bookmarked to give the link to members. Why don't you rewrite Mac, do a seat removal tutorial with pics and tips. That would deserve being in the knowlegebase. You could even add a bit of Mac humour into it :thumbup:

Mainly because I cant get the bloody seat off at the moment with or with out a strap, let alone tipe proderli or operate a camera one handed... :lol:

Besides not everyone agrees with my thinking re the strap removal technique & would just end up in a row... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...