Uk trip and southern rudeness?

General Bike chat
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

trebs wrote:Mind you, that is not helped by today's system of bike education. From what I gather it's a long and expensive process. I can really see how that puts people off. Does it honestly make safer riders? I dunno.
What does it take over there to get your licence? In Queensland, we have a ridiculously stupid system called qride, where the young & inexperienced can go for one lesson, do a course that takes literally a couple of hours & then ride home on whatever monster bike they choose! You have to have your open car licence for a couple of years prior, but basically, young fellas who are severely vulnerable to peer pressure can get straight on the big bikes with no experience & be a danger unto us and themselves. Of course, it's great for those who may have grown up on farms riding, etc, but that's about it. Seems to be a short-cut to death (& more roadside work for me...).

Until qride came in, a rider had to go for a 250 licence first & sit on that for a year or so before going for another test for an open licence. In New South Wales, I believe they have taken that another step further & have power to weight restrictions for new riders, ergo, some 400s are okay whereas some 250s are not.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Hmmm... Same problems over there then, eh? :?
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

yeah but its quite expensive which does prevent most but i'm not the bestperson to comment at 16 i bought and rode a blade :oops:
The voices made me do it
EGG

Post by EGG »

[quote="tractorbiker"]Hey Egg - thanks for sticking up for us sour-faced, shandy-drinking, square-tyred southerners!
Some of us do try...

Tractor i did say NOT all southern T**TS are like that only most of them!!
Better to burn out than just fade away!
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Someone posted this on a Blackbird forum. Gave me a laugh...

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community -- a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets... They drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old b8stard on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys -- I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any colour you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and Heaven forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at -- those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet -- like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-colour helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

:lol:
d&s

Post by d&s »

:evil: Hey nursey, what did you go and do that for. You should've let them go at it. Thought they were going to have a civil war(North v's south)
They'd have all cracked the wobbly's and gone home with their bats and balls and left us Ausies this lovely forum to play with. :cry:
:lol: 8)
Submariners go down for a living..!!

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I think you'll find they're all asleep at the moment & it's ours anyway... :P
d&s

Post by d&s »

VTRgirl wrote:I think you'll find they're all asleep at the moment & it's ours anyway... :P
:roll: DOH, I forgot about that. Do you think they realise this? :p 8)

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Not got it for long though !
God knows what damage you could get up to on here without supervision ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
d&s

Post by d&s »

Are you trying to say you dont trust us? You guys sound like you dont like each other(N&S) At least Tasmanians know why we dont like them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and they just keep on breeding with each other. That is one big family. A lot of you UKians move there because it reminds them of home......... :(
:idea: Hang on a minute, I might be onto something here. How many of use have relo's in Tassie. 8O What do you reckon vtrgirl? :wink: 8)

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

d&s wrote::idea: Hang on a minute, I might be onto something here. How many of use have relo's in Tassie. 8O What do you reckon vtrgirl? :wink: 8)
I'm exercising my right not to comment on the grounds that I may be kicked off this forum & ever so politely asked not to return...
bluesman

check that out

Post by bluesman »

I found it while ago and I think it's funny

Top ten reasons why Harley riders do not wave back and same for Goldwing riders...

Scroll to bottom of this page:
http://www.brr.clubharley.co.uk/faq_help.htm
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
stu9000

nod

Post by stu9000 »

Once you get inside the M25 it feels pretty silly nodding at every bike that goes past. But I still get the feeling bikers are a fraternity. Its something to do with doing 120 mph+ without a roll cage I think.

Its true that the ol lowrider boys dont nod. I think theyre looking straight ahead so as not to notice that chassy design has come on a bit since the 1920's.

Im a secondary school teacher. Kids today are awrite, but some do their best to hide it. Trying to hard to be cool or 'ard. They buy race exhausts and bore out kits to get their capacity up to about 80cc and then you pull up on your 99c v twin and, well, its just too much for em to take. Bless.

If a biker is parked up I do tend to check theyre alright, and like to think that someone would do the same for me.

I got knocked off the other day (white van pulled out) and not a single car pulled over to offer witness statement or help me with the bike.
red is the fastest colour;)
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Avinn a bit of a problem with this white van lark.
I drive a white van ( although signwritten ) for my job. I am one of the most courteous drivers out there.
indicate correctly at every junction or appropriate time, get acknowleged when i let people out,etc,etc . . . . .. .and ride a storm.
The only thing all my many miles of travelling has really taught me is that you should never judge other peoples ability as being equal to your own.
Soz !!! Ranting !!!! Had a few !!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P