Numb fingers!

General Bike chat
Watty

Re: Numb fingers!

Post by Watty »

AMCQ46 wrote:They need heavy bar weights or there is a lot of vibration (especially if you stay at one engine speed) so of it has short aftermarket ones then swap them back to the steel Honda ones, or get some heavier ones.....I have some extra heavy ones I was using before I fitted renthals if you want to try them
Cheers for that, will give you a shout if that's the router go down!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

sirch345 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:They need heavy bar weights or there is a lot of vibration (especially if you stay at one engine speed) so of it has short aftermarket ones then swap them back to the steel Honda ones, or get some heavier ones.....I have some extra heavy ones I was using before I fitted renthals if you want to try them
I would say worth seeing if heavier handlebar weights or originals could help, and as others have said, a lighter grip does make a difference.

I don't know if this would make much difference to handlebar vibration, but when were the carbs last balanced?

Chris.
carb balancing and bit dyno time is on the to do list.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Wattys1 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:
I would say worth seeing if heavier handlebar weights or originals could help, and as others have said, a lighter grip does make a difference.

I don't know if this would make much difference to handlebar vibration, but when were the carbs last balanced?

Chris.
Dyno day this Saturday :-) check the rideout section
SneakyF

Post by SneakyF »

I have this and have found that moving the grip to the furthest point away from handlebar end makes a little diffrence in posture but also seems to help in this "numbing" of hand.
tight gloves is another and try to get a pair of soft gloves that bend with your hand rather than buying cheapest (no offence if you dont).
heavier bar ends will reduce it as well but if your sustaining a constant speed then posture is going to be abiggie, no point in hanging on for grim death whilst using motorways, I hold the bars on the motorway if I get numbed with just my palm on the grip and flexing my fingers over the front brake (not pulling it though). I also find a straight arm rather than sloppy wrists helps. Other than that I dunno.

:thumbup:
If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be.
Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wattys1 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Lloydie has just put me in the picture :thumbup: Lets us know if the dyno day helps :?:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Dyno day this Saturday :-) check the rideout section
Bad me not keeping up :eh: :lol:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I started using a crampbuster, a plastic wing that you fit to the throttle and it lets you loosen the grip with your right hand when riding.

I found that worked well with the std clipons & fast action throttle [reduced the grip and vibration] and although my plan was to just use it for tedious motorway work, i found it worked well for sporty riding as well.

Dont use it so much with the renthals
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've found that as the days pass & me cast gets a bit looser my fingers aren't so numb, cant get a glove on yet but give it time...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I find I get a bit numb when doing lots of slow speed stuff or sat in same position for ages on the motorway, I feel as though it makes me automatically put too much weight on my wrists instead of gripping the bike with my legs

I'm fine when actually pushing the bike a bit harder though, anyone else find this?
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

anyone else find this?
Yes, it's definatly easier at higher speeds as the wind takes the weight off. The worst is sitting in traffic in 50 average speed areas on motorways. I have noticed recently that a lot of those average speed cameras are now facing alternate directions so they can catch the plates on bikes. :( I used to be able to juts ignore them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

I get no numbness and I have no bar end weights :confused perhaps I have a silky, feather light touch after all
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

BigVeeGrin wrote:I get no numbness and I have no bar end weights :confused perhaps I have a silky, feather light touch after all
No just a fat butt to help the rearward balance :-)
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

cybercarl wrote:speed cameras are now facing alternate directions so they can catch the plates on bikes. :( I used to be able to juts ignore them.
Yeah ive noticed that mate, i was never "stupid" through them anyway, just in case they decided to do some looking into it and spotted my plate later on the same bit of road
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Virt

Post by Virt »

callam_nffc wrote:
cybercarl wrote:speed cameras are now facing alternate directions so they can catch the plates on bikes. :( I used to be able to juts ignore them.
Yeah ive noticed that mate, i was never "stupid" through them anyway, just in case they decided to do some looking into it and spotted my plate later on the same bit of road
That's the problem, if you blast through it at 90 and they don't see your plate they will still be able to track you down by checking other places and eventually they'll find your entire journey basically. Of course it's a lot of effort to do this so I guess they'd only do it in stupid cases, but still an absolute PITA
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

Just like to throw a curve ball here, have you or has anybody here tried foam/sponge grips ? If you've tried all the other good info already mentioned may be worth a try.