Brakes

General Bike chat
Jim

Brakes

Post by Jim »

Can any one advise on what I can do to sharpen up the front brake response. Went out on the Storm yesterday and over a period of 150 miles or so found that the lever/ brakes became very soft - the lever coming some way back to the bars. The bike is only 12 months old, was serviced at 600 miles and has only been riden for 1500 miles total so I was hoping not to have to replace anything too major. Swapping to a 4 year old Blade during the ride I found that the standard set up was so much sharper than the Storm.

Any advice/ recommendations?
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Well you could try braided lines, but as the bikes is still quite new i dont think you would see a great difference,
there are other solutions, such as changing the brake master cylinder or
going for a full brake upgade, costs quite a bit though
me i just try to use the storms engine breaking as much as i can & try not to over cook the brakes. :)
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

First thing to try before going to too much expense is to clean the pistons in each calliper with some brake fluid.

1. Starting on one side, loosen the bolt holding the callipers in place.
2. Unbolt the calliper from the fork.
3. Remove the pads.
4. Gently ease out the pistons a little bit by jently squeezing the brake lever. - you may have to use some small g-clamps or plumbers wrench with rags to protect the pitons and callipers.
5. Using some cotton buds (q-tips) dipped in some spare brake fluid clean the pistons untill you they move freely and you can push them back in easily by hand.
6. Put the calliper back on not forgetting the pads and repeat for the other side.
7. Go off for a test ride and the firmness should have returned.

Braided hoses you'd definetly be an impreovement but if your pistons aint clean you are treating the symtpoms and no the cause of the problem.

Al.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

P.S. If you can get hold of some, after you've cleaned the pistons you can apply a smear of silicon brake calliper grease.

Al.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for your help chaps - will try the caliper cleaning this weekend.