2-1 Exhaust info

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
CB_Phil

2-1 Exhaust info

Post by CB_Phil »

Thinking of sticking a 2-1 system on the VTR & tinking of getting a system made up. Just wondering if anyone has any experience setting them up, pipe diameters ect?
Will be a 'hi-flow' end can (by that I mean its barely there :lol:

Cheers, Phil
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
VTRDark

Re: 2-1 Exhaust info

Post by VTRDark »

Lloydies your best bet here he had a play with 2 into 1's.

But this thread may be worth a read through for you.
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/mo ... ups-28999/

And have a look at the 2-1 pipes mikstr posted third post into the following page: :biggrin
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/mo ... 999/page5/

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Cheers lads :thumbup:
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

All that makes for some interesting reading, I would have thought a 2-1 would have helped the power. lloydie you seem to be one of the few who has managed it. I dont mind loosing a little top, but would have to loose mid & low, would you reckon a 2-1-2 exiting the same side may be a better way to run or is it literally a case of larger link pipe diameter & some careful carb work?
I should probably say that Im also thinking of putting two long bell mouths on instead of the 1 long, 1 short set up to gain a bit more low end
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I dont mind loosing a little top
From what I gather from my research a 2 into 1 is for improving top end. A 2-1-2 exiting the same side would be interesting, but what you have to remember is each pipe is a tuned length, so you should at least try to get both sides equal length whichever side they are on. Also with regards to length especially end cans, shorter = top end gains and sacrificing a bit of bottom. And longer = low end gains at the sacrifice of a bit of top.
may be a better way to run or is it literally a case of larger link pipe diameter
Larger pipes (not necessarily link) will improve top end, for example big bore header pipes, and smaller diameter will improve bottom. Links from the back of the can/s to the header should ideally be tapered to help smooth out the pressure pulses as the pressure differentials go from positive to negative.

Some interesting reading for you
:arrow: Exhaust System Theory 101
:arrow: Rogue RC51 Exhaust Information
(Yeh it's for the SP but is relevant to us)
:arrow: Exhaust and Intake Tuning
:arrow: How to calculate Muffler Size

Hope that helps and gives you some direction. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Cheers for that, will have a study up. The reason for the short cans pretty much is cause I got the w/the bike & dont want to spend if I dont have too. Stock system is the worst for wear & needs replacing thou & fancied trying something a bit different. Looks like I may have to go back to the drawing board a bit
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'd like to run a 2 into 1 system one day, my plan would be to buy a racefit growler with a 60mm inlet, then get a linkpipe me that flares out to 60mm to meet the end can, i think it would sound biblical........ :thumbup:
god knows what it would be like on power/fuelling..... :thumbdown:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

agentpineapple wrote:i'd like to run a 2 into 1 system one day, my plan would be to buy a racefit growler with a 60mm inlet, then get a linkpipe me that flares out to 60mm to meet the end can, i think it would sound biblical........ :thumbup:
god knows what it would be like on power/fuelling..... :thumbdown:
Thats my concern, I want to hange it up, but would rather the performance not to suffer. The links above are some good reading, but alot to go thru & Ill decide what to do after that.
Ill post when I get further along
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'd suggest buying a second set of headers, converting them to 2into1, keep your old set up to go back to if you don't like the 2into1 set up.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

agentpineapple wrote:i'd suggest buying a second set of headers, converting them to 2into1, keep your old set up to go back to if you don't like the 2into1 set up.... :thumbup:
I'd suggest buying a Mig welder and some mandrel bends.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tony.mon wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:i'd suggest buying a second set of headers, converting them to 2into1, keep your old set up to go back to if you don't like the 2into1 set up.... :thumbup:
if only i was capable of such things, and there was me hoping you'd start your bespoke exhaust business mr mon....... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have a 2-1 headers for sale ready for a link pipe to be made :)
If you choose to go down that route
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

tony.mon wrote:
I have a mig, but a lad I know does stainless exhausts for decent price. My mig cant handle Stainless & hes better @ it than I am
Still reading thru the info. will try get a bit more knowledgeable about it before I go ahead,
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if your building headers from scratch, my i suggest a bigger bore/diameter.... :D
then a single exit from under the seat... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!