France trip 2014 - possible dates pg 8

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

firestorm1997

Re: France trip 2014 - possible dates pg 8

Post by firestorm1997 »

Done it two years ago and you still have to pay for food and drink on top of the fair...
We did get our crossing cheap though, used the Air Miles....worth a shout if anyone collects them. :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I can do any date in june chris... :thumbup:
I will not be doing the bilboa ferry tho dude, I've done it several times and the last time was 5 yrs ago. the funniest thing about the internal cabin is the curtain on the wall, when you pull it back theres nothing... :lol: :lol: :lol:
food and drink is extra, its not that cheap either, but you can go to the cheapest café on the boat to keep the price down.
that's not to say it can't be fun mate.
if I was doing a trip soley in the pyreness i'd consider it.
but not for a trip to the alps. once you've booked your ferry let us know so we can book our Calais crossing.
the dover Calais prices aren't out yet, but i'd say you'd be looking at £25 each way.
I just want us all to meet up in france and have a laugh.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Think I'll have a good look at the maps tomorrow, see what looks like a good first base, without it being too far for a move to pastures new after a few days.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I wouldn't have thought it would cost that much. Our ferry was 37 quid return. And we booked it about a week and a half before we went :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

leevtr wrote:Think I'll have a good look at the maps tomorrow, see what looks like a good first base, without it being too far for a move to pastures new after a few days.
good one mate... :thumbup:

and chris, it probably wont be £25 each way, i'm just giving myself some wiggle room on the price..... :biggrin
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

This trip may now not happen as my missus has got onto a evening uni course and can not afford much/any time off :( but at least she got on it. Been waiting for an answer for a while. So I may only be in the UK next year.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Ckennedy wrote:This trip may now not happen as my missus has got onto a evening uni course and can not afford much/any time off :( but at least she got on it. Been waiting for an answer for a while. So I may only be in the UK next year.
Just saw this as I was about to make a comment saying I wouldn't be able to afford it either. Trying to save up for a new toy now instead :lol:

If Operation Storm: Destination East Midlands goes through I'll be on that one for definite though :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I have done The Pyrenees 2 years running. We rode down through France both times and got the ferry from Bilbao/Santander back. After 10 days riding the 24 hours rest on the ferry was welcome. The ferry food is actually quite reasonable and the boats are 3 times the size of the cross channel ferries with cinema, pool etc. Riding down isn't a chore as you are excited about the holiday and the roads get better as you go south - coming back the reverse is true.

That said, if I do the Picos Europas next year I'll take the ferry both ways to save a few days and may push on to Santiago de Compostella.

I wouldn't try to incorporate The Alps om the same trip though - the Pyrenees and Cantabrian Mountains are plenty IMHO. The Alps are a separate trip (went in 2010)
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!