wheelie school

General Bike chat
Stuart

Wheelies

Post by Stuart »

Hey you guys, I'm from good 'ol Australia and have a '99 Storm. If you want to do easy wheelies (and don't we all???) then i suggest thatyou get a good set of pipes. (The power may be a bees Richard in difference) Also get your pride and joy fitted with either a Factory or Dynojet kit. Then whilst the good 'ol boys are doing that and they have the tank off your baby drop a K&N or a BMC air filter in. Last of all I suggest you get a Factory 4 degree ignition advancer fitted. Over here costs about 300 bucks. Over there I would suggest possibly somewhere in the order of 100 - 150 squid. then find yourself a nice stretch of straight road with a bump in it. Hit the bump in second gear at 50mph (80klms/hr) or 5grand on the tacho. as you hit the top of the bump (NOTE WELL: SPEED BUMPS ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR THIS PURPOSE AT ALL EVER!!!!!) crack open the throttle and give a little pull on the bars. You shouls find that while it may take some practice your baby will stand up prouder than your morning glory.

Love ya work guys. Let me know how you go. Oh and that thing about the coppers: I got nicked for doing one on the Gold Coast. Go to court for it in March 03. Don't know what the wallopers are like over there but here they don't seem to see the funny side of things... :twisted: :twisted: :D :D
buzz

Post by buzz »

midlife
have u done the wheelie school thing yet if u have, let us know how it went

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz :D
Nik

Post by Nik »

Stuart

How did the court case go? If you dont reply I will assume you got banged up !! Hope to hear from you soon!!!

cheers
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

hey there Nik, the court case went absolutely shithouse. I tried to appeal the charge of "undue care and attention" on the grounds that I am a professional stunt rider and I was in full control of the vehicle at the time. The Magistrate on the other hand wasn't wearing any of it. I believe that his words were something to the effect of "Even stunts go wrong and you have no place behaving like this on public roads". How rude. He obviously saw the get off in the new Crusty 8 DVD. Don't know if you guys have seen it but I have done that twice now and F@#K IT HURTS. Nah seriously it is all good guys.

Till next time shiny side up...

:twisted: :twisted: :D :D

P.S.: Standing on the pillion seat whilst pulling a manic wheelie in 3rd or 4th is not advised, thats how I flipped it...
Dodger

Wheelies are cool,clever,

Post by Dodger »

I'm new on the site, bought a bellypan of Buzz and he told me about this place,'FANTASTIC' I'm the same as most when i get it up in first and get to that point 'F--K' have i smacked my spherical objects a few times. So myself and three mates got our asses down to Andy Burnetts Wheelie School in Kemble, nr Cirencester, for a whole day on his Bandit 1200s.
We did it on thurs 23rd april in the pissing rain aswell boys, never did i believe we would be pulling wheelies on near standing water!! But at the desired speed of 22mph on the Bandit, and believe me if you were 2mph over or under it did make a difference, up she came every time! They have a device on the back that cuts the ignition when the cane hits the floor, which was a bit frustrating for me because just when you get it up to the balancing point down she went.But seriously boys just little things like sitting back and locking your knees into the tank makes so much difference.Relaxing on the bike makes so much difference aswell, I know it sounds daft to relax just when your about to do the most unatural thing but try it. I haven't had the pleasure out on my bike yet as it was only the day before yesterday since we did it, but as soon as i'm back from finding the optimum speed on the storm i will let you know, that's if i don't go via A&E first, Happy landings.By the way i know of a friend who got banned for a year and retake his test for doing the coolest standup of the lights next to a couple of chicks in a convertible.What he forgot to do was have a quick look behind him for the fuzz.He still gets his kicks by club racing his R1s.
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Hi all,

Wheelie days/training have been held at york raceway before (last summer I seem to remember), but I forget who ran them, sorry.

Was ltsted in MCN events, last yr. though.

Just got back into biking after a little break, would enjoy meeting up & learning/practicing wheelies properly. :roll:

Phil.
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hey Guys,
I'm curious as the operation of the cane at the back of the bandits. Does anyone have any idea how this works? Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm contemplating setting up a school over here in Oz to cater for those with a sense of adventure. Any technical info would be most appreciated.

Till next time...

Dodger

Wheelies

Post by Dodger »

Hiya Stuart, the cane at the back of the Bandits is fitted to an inhibitor switch which in turn is wired in to the side stand. The cane is aprox 18inches long, so my girlfriend says!! I don't know what cane she's been measuring but it sure as sh1t ain't mine!! back to the cane, it is fully adjustable, so can be set for differing heights. It cuts the ignition for a split second in turn bringing the front wheel back to earth.
The guy was selling them for £125, i've got all his details if needed.
Regards Dodger. p.s. How's the roads and weather down under mate?
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hey Dodger,
Cheers for that. I've just spoken to dave my rather old mechanic friend and he's of the opinion that it sounds like a good thing. Especially for guys and gals who are learning how to wheelie. I on the other hand have a yearning to teach them. I'm called a maniac by basically everyone who knows me including my boss. (nb: wheelstands on the bosses FJR1300 are generally considered poor orm when he catches you!!!). I believe that everyone should pull wheelstands at every available opportunity, and well that would be under power taking off from every red light you stop at wouldn't it? Plus just pulling it up to give the gits in cages something to gawk at whilst on a motorway!

As for the roads and the weather, I'm a firm believer that here in Brisbane we have the BEST weather of anywhere in Oz. It is just perfect. Of course we get rainy days however I believe that only keeps those who can't ride off the roads. The other advantage of the rain is the chaps in blue uniforms don't like to get wet so it also keeps them off the roads.

Hows the weather over there? Should be starting to come good for you guys around now I'd imagine?

Till next time keep it shiny side up...

Dodger

uni-wheeling

Post by Dodger »

Hey Stuart, wheather is getting good we had a fantastic 7-8 weeks up until about a fortnight ago then a bit of shitty blighty weather but its pretty good apart from that. The wheelie school called it a "wheelie inhibitor" for legal reasons, but officer this device stops me from wheelies !!!! yet to hear wether the fuzz have come across one yet. On a track day at Donington on the 22nd of this month so i'm praying for decent weather around then, its only 20mins down the road for me aswell, how do you do for tracks around you mate? Dodger
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

He. I like the for legal reasons concept. Sounds like it might just work. I sussed out the stunt riding school concept and the buggers want somewhere in the vicinity of around au$45k. Seems a tad bit high too me.

Track wise around here I have access to about 6. We also have the highest amount of winding roads of anywhere in Australia. Unfortunately along with that goes an exceptionally high fatality rate amongst motorcyclists in the Greater Brisbane area. I will go as far as to say that accidents on Mt. Glorious here are generally caused by inexperienced riders pulling excessive speeds and riding irresponsibly. I have personally come across a couple of geese on that particular stretch of road. one of them even had the nerve to come into a blind off-camber corner underneath me. It is at this point I feel that I should point out that after following him for a period of time after this event I became amazed at the fact that he had pulled it off as his body language whilst cornering was all wrong! I have also had the misfortune to come across a rider who had lost control of his machine at high speed and put himself into the wall of a cutting. May he rest in peace.

I hope that your track day goes well. I'd say go even if the weather's ordinary but hey I love riding and don't care what good 'ole mother nature has to do.

Till next time...

Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Dodger.

I am at a track day at Donington on May 21 with 100% bikes. Have you ridden around Donington before ? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. I am really looking forward to it. Being able to push the bike hard through corners in relative safety will be great. It will also be good to compare myself with other riders. On the road you can not tell who are the best riders, just the ones that aren't so concerned about a visit to A&E.

I wonder how a standard storm will cope with a full day at the track? Does anyone know if the brakes survive the abuse and does the rear shock give up the ghost ?
LOOPY
Dodger

Donington

Post by Dodger »

Hey Loopy, Dono is fantastic mate. I did my first one last year with Spead Freaks, lots of bikes in fact i was at the front at the start of session 1 and took a look behind me!! there was a sh-t load of bikes but you soon spread out. Jamie Whit gave me a little advice before hand and said spend the whole day learning the track. He said i could go slow and bin it and go fast and bin it!! DONT get sucked in to racing someone else, that is where i saw most people bin it when they started racing there mates.
Tape up your mirrors so you dont look at what is coming up behind you!
Tape over your speedo so you don't look down, you need all the consentration you can muster. Also tape up your number plate so any sneaky insurance geezers cant clock your plate if something does go tits up. Don't forget to take them off when your finished mate. It is as you said just a joy to be on a smooth fantastic track with nothing else but us guys. Ride to your limitations and no one elses and most of all ENJOY!!!!!!!
Dodger.