WSB , Brands.. this year. not last..

Any racing related stuff
trebs

WSB , Brands.. this year. not last..

Post by trebs »

Anyone be there?
I'm coming over for some business on Friday, hanging about till Monday so I can pop to Brands.

But.. I'm not going on the bike, well I'm going to the UK on it, but not Brands.
Got too much photo gear to lug about, will either get too hot or too wet if I'm in leathers all day.

Trebs.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Not this year Trebs ! Been the last 3 years, but commitments n stuff ??? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

P.s Get some shots of the MCN girls for me !!! :evil: :wink: :wink:
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

hey trebs, im going, if you want to meet up that would be cool, im always up for meeting new storm owners :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
trebs

Post by trebs »

Hi Squiffy,
Sorry mate, I'd gone before reading your post.
Stonking day.. it was great. I headed round to Sheene curves and Dingle dell for most of the day. It was better for photos around there.
I'll post a gallery once I've looked at all the shots. There are some pretty nifty pics too.
Also.. when we got back to the house, flicked on Eurosport and what did we see? ... US standing on the inside of the curve :)
Squiffythewombat

yeah we were right opposite the camera guy on hawthorn so i wouldnt be surprised if we are on there too, ive taped it, gonna whatch it tonight :-)

out of intrest what camera were you using? I took my sony DSC and spent the entire day cursing i didnt take my 35mm SLR!!!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

trebs

Post by trebs »

here's a tiny selection of the 600 pics I took.

http://www.stillmation.com/BD/wsb/

I'm using a Nikon D70, used a nikon 80-200 F2.8 all day.
Squiffythewombat

OMG d70 YOU LUCKY b8stard¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we deliberatly stayed for the 600's as everyone leaves and u can then get some ace postions for photos :-)

as for your photos....

AMAZING! dude you have lots of talent there! that photo of toseland is amazing! (pity his riding wasnt). do you lead on when your taking them or focus on one point and then time the shutter right?

Ive got a well similar photo of the wheelie too, you cant of been standing that far from me when you took it!!!!!!

techbit- what shutter speeds and exposures etc were you using?

my pooey DSC can do 400iso which does help but the 1mm zoom was such a pain in the butt, the pics are alright but each bike is spec in the distance and i have to blow the photo up so much that it doesnt come out without graining up :-(

btw- i video'ed it on tv, if you would like a copy, just let me know and ill wack one in the post :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

trebs

Post by trebs »

thanks Squiffy,

Shutter speed is pretty vital for a good shot, the slower the better for a good action pic. If you catch a look at a "pro" they'll often go for a fast shutter to freeze all action and be certain they have the bike in focus. the Blur is faked in after.. yeah, even in this type of photography there's a lot of editing going on.

I can do that too, but I try and capture it all in-cam. To do that I use a slower shutter, anything from 1/60th up, these werebetween 1/125th and 1/320th. Apertures are all pretty small, F10 and above, merely to allow a slow shutter in a situation where it's bright enough to use 1/1250 without problems.

As for framing the shot, a good action is needed there, shoulders body and hips need to spin round as fast as the bike goes past so that the bike stays tracked all the time. It all comes together when the camera movement and bike movement are matched perfectly. Result, sharp subject, blurred background.

Most of that can be done with any camera, the crunch comes when the bike is rapidly approaching, you have to start focussing then, then follow the bike through it's path. The camera needs to keep focussing as fast as you move. The shutter release needs to be instant, no delay or you're leaving things to chance.

Basically, the techniques are all pretty simple, the equipment does a lot for you, but yeah.. takes a bit of skill to tie it all together. I'm still learning.

Oh, and leave the ISO as low as possible, 50 if you can. This type of shot isn't dependant on "film" speed. Slower the ISO the cleaner the shot.

Ta for the vid offer, but I'm in Europe so i think It'll be a coupla quid. :/
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Trebs I have trouble with my little digital, point and shoot camera and that's at things that don't move :?
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
Squiffythewombat

brilliant tips there trebs!

Im a totally newbie when it comes to digi cams, im still savnig for my 10D!!

I didnt realsie the slow "film" speeds would be better on the digi, i assumed for some reason the faster the better! To be hoenst my sony is so limiting, only allowing you to change the iso and eo settings, nothing else!

I know exactly what you mean about tracking the bike as it goes past, thats the one pic i dont have too many probs with, the annoying thing is the duration the cam takes to focus so i had to set it on a spot rather than adjusting through the frame? if that makes sense? (excuse my noob talk!)

Could you possibly explain why a 1/60th is the best shutter speed as this still confuses me somewhat!

Also, i didnt realise you edited your photos like that? my view was that a photo could be enlarged but not modified, as the second i start "tweaking" things in PS it becomes a document and not photo inmo.

I can post you wsb to europe, its only a cd :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Girlie_Biker

Post by Girlie_Biker »

Squiffythewombat wrote: I can post you wsb to europe, its only a cd :-)
Hey squiffy any chance of another copy of that cd :?: I'd quite like to watch the race again and see the bits I couldnt from Clearways...

/cheeky cow :wink:
ZZ-RAWR!
VTR1000 Firestorm "the Animal"
ZZR600E "the Baby"
GPZ500s "the Brat"
Squiffythewombat

yeah no worries, i have to link up the old skool VHS player and rip it , wont be amazing quality but still easily whatchable! If you email me your details ill get one underway :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat