New here? Come in and introduce yourself
BigVeeGrin

Re: Greetings from Malta!

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Hello and welcome - went to Malta once, lovely place :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella, enjoy the bike.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Don't fit a K&N unless you want to spend a lot of time and money on Dyno time . The standard filter is best
dwardu

Post by dwardu »

Thanks for your welcome posts and tips. I have placed an order for the manual CCTs and a hugger.

I agree with you lloydie that sticking to the OEM filter would be my ideal choice (for now at least). When I got my CB600 it had already a KN fitted with an after-market exhaust and still used the stock jets. Apart from massive hesitation on the pilot circuit, it ran fine. I still went for the Stage 1 Dynojet kit and the bike felt better on the mid and higher revs. For the pilot circuit, I went up two sizes from the stock #40 to #45 Keihin. The hesitation is only slight now but I ended up with a rich condition on idle. I might fiddle with the idle screws this weekend and give it a few tries. With regards to my VT750C; well that has straight Cobra baffled pipes and a Hypercharger air-filter housing which I installed together with a Dynojet kit at stage 3. The only issues I had was with backfires on deceleration which I managed to sort after 4 years. Just last month I had the bright idea of using high temp copper based RTV where the two sections of the pipes join (a vacuum cleaner exposed the exhaust leak). Now the backfires on deceleration are gone, and I am only left with occasional less louder pops that I don't think I'll get rid of since no PAIR exists and air intake + exhaust aren't slightly restricted. On both bikes, improving carb set-up due to after-market parts was very time consuming, but I did learn a lot in the process.

My only priorities on the VTR are the CCTs, and overall maintenance (replacing fluids and the other checks). I have my own stock of MANN MW 64/1 oil filters which I use on every bike (and future one) I have. For engine oil, I plan to use Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40 as I use on the Hornet, and OAT based ethylene glycol coolant (Toyota Longlife, WOLF red antifreeze, or similar). On both my Shadow and Hornet, I replaced the fork springs when changing the fork oil, so I might do the same on the FireStorm at a later stage. I stuck to 10W oil as per Honda specs for both of them, but am not sure what the suggested one for the VTR is (just need to print off the workshop manual...another big thanks to you guys for making it available). Any tips in lubes and other fluids is most appreciated.

Some pics! This is my Hornet...

My Shadow ACE...

And my FireStorm to be...

YIPEEEE!!
Edward
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

firestorm looks clean & unmolested.........shame its blue though :Beer Popcorn:
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Your Storm looks good, so does your Hornet 8)

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nice to see a Storm in the proper colour mate, :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:thumbup:
Looking Good Dwardu :D
Welcome Aboard!
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
dwardu

Post by dwardu »

Thanks Pete!

I am trying to figure out which fork springs to go for...since I will be replacing the fluid, makes sense to replace the springs in the process. Progressive would be the right choice for me as I will be touring and don't do any track days. Not sure whether to get the Hagons, Hyperpro or Wirth fork springs...or get the combo kit from Hyperpro and change the rear spring as well.

Do you fellas know why there are two combo kits from Hyperpro for the Storm? One has a remark "OHLINS RE". is this for an OHLINS after-market cartridge?

EDITED - Hyperpro just told me that the "OHLINS RE" kit is for those few FireStorms that came out with OEM OHLINS monoshock.
Last edited by dwardu on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edward
john cresser

Post by john cresser »

Welcomb from another blue bike. John C. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dwardu wrote:
EDITED - Hyperpro just told me that the "OHLINS RE" kit is for those few FireStorms that came out with OEM OHLINS monoshock.
That's news to me, I don't think there ever was such a bike, well not here in the UK anyway :eh:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

sirch345 wrote:
dwardu wrote:
That's news to me, I don't think there ever was such a bike, well not here in the UK anyway :eh:

Chris.
I was just thinking the same thing. I think Hyperpro have fed you some bull there. Not even the limited edition 50th anniversary came with any Ohlins.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside