Tank bags

General Bike chat
ging500

Tank bags

Post by ging500 »

Im looking at tank bags for the Yorshire trip! I want it to be of a reasonable size as well as being able to hold a sat nav!!

What are your experiences with tank bags?? Any design flaws etc to look for??
Virt

Re: Tank bags

Post by Virt »

I think my tank bag is about 13litres and it's a pretty good size.

However for satnav I usually use an Oxford StrapNav attached to the yoke, much easier than taking eyes off the road completely.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Totally agree. I have tried satnav in various ways for rallys. Satnav in a tank bag map pocket does not work.

I tried the expensive holder which clamps round the bars or fairing stay, load of rubbish and £50 wasted.

Oxford strap thing is great, just sits over the yoke nicely and is easy to see. also allows adjustment of angle to keep sun off.

Tankbags generally awesome! Get an extendible one and have it unzipped and you can lean on it taking all weight off the wrists for a long haul.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I hate using the tank bag on the Storm as it creates a lot of turbulence and get in the way when moving around the bike. I prefer to use a tailpack and just an Oxford map holder on the tank.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Agree with the above :thumbup:

I have one which has 3 compartments like a tank bag sandwich, the bottom layer (with the magentic discs in) is wafer thin if you just need a thin waterproof pocket, then the 2 other layers can zip on top of that to create a monster sized pack if need be.

It has straps, so can be used as a backpack, a little compartment at the back for pocket sized valuables.

It also came supplied with a lifetime supply of 25yr old female lingerie models...

...just checking you're still awake!

Tank bags are Ace! :thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

That, or something like the RAM mounts that go in the steering stem hole, is a nice option... All with the advantage of putting the sat nav where your eyes already are...

For the tank bags, my priorities are simple... Easy on, easy off... There is nothing more annoying than to fight the tank bag, your keys, helmet, gloves and wallet at a filling station, trying to keep all things from falling off the bike, as you get to the gas cap... Magnetic with a safety strap is my limit for annoying buckles and straps... Any more and I'll leave the thing in a bin somewhere... (Did that going through Germany on my way to Nürburg Ring once... Yeah, it pissed me off...)

WATERTIGHT, or at least reasonably rain proof on it's own... The pull over, flappy rain covers are highly irritating, and usually doesn't work worth the effort of pulling them on...

Expandable usually sucks... Either get an "expensive" one that actually works, or buy a big and a small tank bag... The cheapo one's just get more ungainly and annoying when expanded, if they don't outright break...

Yep... You got it... All based on annoyance levels... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Tankbags are great, I have been using an expandable Oxford magnetic bag for years, and if positioned correctly there is no turbulence or restriction of movement onthe bike. I also just rely on the magnets with no safety strap so it is quick to get on and off the bike for filling up.

Like others have said its not a good position to fit a satnav, as you have to look down too far and change your focus to close up settings. Best place I found for the GPS was to mount it on the rev counter! But I do use the top pocket for my route maps and instructions (as I don't use a satnav, I just set waypoints on a hiking GPS), so I read the notes and remember what road number or what town is going to be marked for my next turn.

But back To tankbags, I would suggest not to go too big as they get in your way, and not to go too small as you do want to be able to get some stuff into it. I think mine is similar to the Oxford X40 they sell now so it is 40l when fully expanded, but closer to 30 in normal setting.
The waterproof cover is too baggy as its designed to fit over the fully expanded bag, so I end up using a bungee strap round the base of the tank bag cover to pull in the extra slack and keep the cover from flapping round. I also make sure the contents are in a binbag.
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've been using magnetic tank bags for years on various bikes, never used a safety strap, never lost a tank bag...yet... :lol:

One top tip I would pass on is with any magnetic bag...Always wipe the base esp the magnet areas before putting it on the bike. The magnets will inevitably pick up any bits of crap,swarf,shrapnel,rust flakes,small rodents with metal prosthetic limbs (Eh ?) which will then potentially scratch the paint work. Been there scratched the tank.

Of course if you never put it down directly on the ground you lessen the chance of it picking any of the above up but still best to wipe it...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
ging500

Post by ging500 »

At the moment there are a few in the running, you got the renntec tour 28ltr, oxford first time 30 litre or the oxford x30 lifetime!!

I know from my bro the satnav in tank bag isn't great due to sun and condensation but its really there as a fall back!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

After a magnetic tankbag flew off over my shoulder containing my liquorice allsorts at a naughty speed I went for a Baglux tankcover and clip-on 30L expanding bag. The tank cover protects the paintwork from knocks, scratches and fading, and the bag carries all my sweeties in safety.

I don't use satnav despite only Geography O'level grade D - I just print out from google maps (with a few notes) where I want to get to and slip it into the map pocket and using the sun for guidance, simply pootle off hoping it won't become overcast.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I use a back pack and have learnt to read a map and just go, if i get somewhere else, who cares iam still on the bike!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
ging500

Post by ging500 »

bigtwinthing wrote:I use a back pack and have learnt to read a map and just go, if i get somewhere else, who cares iam still on the bike!!!

Well that's what I currently do however when you need to get someone where for a certain time its a bit rubbish getting lost!! Most of the time its fun!!
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

I have yet to get lost using an old fashioned map... I use the GPS for one thing, and one thing only... Low on fuel, find me a filling station ASAP... Other than that, I rely on an invention that was used before the GPS was invented... Called sense of direction... Very rare to find these days apparently... :wink:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Tweety wrote:I have yet to get lost using an old fashioned map... I use the GPS for one thing, and one thing only... Low on fuel, find me a filling station ASAP... Other than that, I rely on an invention that was used before the GPS was invented... Called sense of direction... Very rare to find these days apparently... :wink:

i said stuff like that once and was called a "cynical old b8stard" at 55 !!!!! cheeky sods.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

bigtwinthing wrote:
Tweety wrote:I have yet to get lost using an old fashioned map... I use the GPS for one thing, and one thing only... Low on fuel, find me a filling station ASAP... Other than that, I rely on an invention that was used before the GPS was invented... Called sense of direction... Very rare to find these days apparently... :wink:

i said stuff like that once and was called a "cynical old b8stard" at 55 !!!!! cheeky sods.
Well... Then I guess I got you beat by a good 20 years... Just turning 35 in two days, and I have been called that before... :)