http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-ACTIVE ... 3a82e824c1

+1
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Hi-Vis discussion

Post by Pete.L »

I must admit to being a bit old school as far a day glow is concerned :oops:
We all grew up thinking it was for pussies and nerds. :oops: I'll be the first to admit I always used to wear one when there was fog or heavy rain but other than that ,never
Personally I can see the advantages of it now, and I think it should be compulsory for cyclist after dark but I still think it should be left up to the individual for motorbikes.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am not a fan of high vis for motorcycling, having some reflective trim, yes, high vis yellow, no.

When I am cycling then I will wear high vis colours (and reflective trim) and I also make sure I have flashing light front and rear, even in daylight,. But in my opinion, once you are moving at speeds over about 20mph, it's not the colour that will help you get noticed, it's movement / changes the brain observes. This is not a scientific study but it is based on what triggers my peripheral observation when I am driving my car, but I sure as hell don't see yellow suited motorcyclist earlier than any other normal coloured gear

On top of that your upper body is partially obscured by the fairing and you have your light on which is standing out more as any movement from that is what you see.

As long as they don't try and tell me what to wear its all ok
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote:I am not a fan of high vis for motorcycling, having some reflective trim, yes, high vis yellow, no.

When I am cycling then I will wear high vis colours (and reflective trim) and I also make sure I have flashing light front and rear, even in daylight,. But in my opinion, once you are moving at speeds over about 20mph, it's not the colour that will help you get noticed, it's movement / changes the brain observes. This is not a scientific study but it is based on what triggers my peripheral observation when I am driving my car, but I sure as hell don't see yellow suited motorcyclist earlier than any other normal coloured gear

On top of that your upper body is partially obscured by the fairing and you have your light on which is standing out more as any movement from that is what you see.

As long as they don't try and tell me what to wear its all ok
+1 on that Al.

I think the last para of the article says it all...

''If you want to make sure people see you then give them time to see you. Don’t come flying over the brow of a hill at 90mph or overtake a bus at 60mph in a 40 limit and scream at the guy that pulled out of a side turning thinking he could make it before the bus reached him. Think ahead, be cautious, consider your road positioning, visualise worst-case scenario and make sure you have an exit plan. Put yourself in the other guy’s shoes and don’t trust to these idiotic canary outfits. They’re for amateurs.''

Plus there's the argument that Yellow slows you down so perhaps that's why its being mooted as legislation ... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I have a police issue Hi-vis jacket that I wear when I'm going on a motorway trip or when I coming home from work Friday & Saturday nights, tends to slow a lot of people down when they're around me.........
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I only started to wear one last year, I certainly don't wear it religiously, more when I think of it and can be bothered. I intend on having it under my seat so I can pop it on when it gets dark or murky.

It doesn't slow me down or make me feel safer, but I just wear it for 'that one ride' out of a thousand rides where it might help save my life.

I really don't think it should become law to wear one, even at night. Motorcycling is about freedom and choice, we have lights on our bikes and wear helmets on our heads, that in my mind is where the laws should stop.

However, if a law was passed making it mandatory to wear a fancy dress dog costume, then as annoying as it may be, I'd still be a motorcyclist and I'd still have fun :)

Jamie :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jamoi wrote:I only started to wear one last year, I certainly don't wear it religiously, more when I think of it and can be bothered. I intend on having it under my seat so I can pop it on when it gets dark or murky.

It doesn't slow me down or make me feel safer, but I just wear it for 'that one ride' out of a thousand rides where it might help save my life.

I really don't think it should become law to wear one, even at night. Motorcycling is about freedom and choice, we have lights on our bikes and wear helmets on our heads, that in my mind is where the laws should stop.

However, if a law was passed making it mandatory to wear a fancy dress dog costume, then as annoying as it may be, I'd still be a motorcyclist and I'd still have fun :)

Jesus Jamie, you need a hair cut 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
geodude

Post by geodude »

This video about sums it up for me. As already said, it don't matter what you wear. If people ain't looking, you ain't gonna be seen.

[youtube][/youtube]
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

That vid is terrifying.

The sad fact is, if they are not going to see your headlight, they are not going to see a high vis jacket. A headlight is a lot brighter than a high vis jacket will ever be.

There is a very interesting vid going round somewhere about how they train fighter pilots to observe, the fact is, when humans scan a view or scene, they look at it in steps, and if you are in one of the skipped bits, you will not be seen if you are in a dayglo pink suit with yellow spots. This applies to bikes and cars, we can all improve our scanning skills.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

So there I am, on my brand new that morning GSR750, with a white crash helmet, brand new Hi-vi striped jacket, on a white bike and always on headlight.

At 60 mph I overtook a car when it lurched sideways (she later told police that it was to miss a pheasant) and swiped me off into the opposite gutter and hospital.

The bike was written off ... 126 miles on the clock.

All the visibility I could muster did me no good.

However, later when filling out claim forms etc the questions arose, Where you wearing: Hi Vis clothing? Proper protective clothing ? (if so describe in detail) ... etc .

My solicitor told me that judges often reduce sums to be awarded on the grounds that motorcycling is a risky pastime and we the riders must accept the risk (or in other words it's partly our fault for doing this dangerous thing)

On the move, I do not see riders in Hi Vis any clearer that those without. Not until close up do I notice the hi-vis
I tend to see the outline profile first or in my car mirrors I see the headlight.
They don't stay clean and some are decidedly grubby and not very Hi-vis at all.

Reflective stripes show up well in the dark and are good for cyclist and pedestrians on unlit roads.

However the MAG argument is that if enough bikers wear these (IMHO) pointless garments they will become mandatory.

Criminal clothing.
I came off at a bit less than 60mph. My clothes were shredded. My leather gloves, knee, elbow and shoulder protectors were severely damaged and all clothes were binned and not used again. If I had not been wearing them it could well have been bits of me that were binned.
I still inwardly shudder when I see riders in tee shirts with no gloves and sandals (I saw an R1 rider dressed like that in the summer)
A sport bike rider with a girl on the back - He all in leather and she all in polyester. Another chap near Beccles on a sportsbike with a child aged about five or six, riding pillion & clinging to his belt.

There are wise precautions we can take and there are seriously stupid things we can do. Striking the balance between these may be a matter of personal preference and we really do not want any government body trying to define what is or is not safe and proper.
lanny

Post by lanny »

Have a mate who crashed and ended up in a ditch on a rural rd coming home from his nightshift, his lights got damaged and he was knocked out with broken limbs, but for his wife reporting him not coming home god knows how it would have ended up as fortunately his hi vis jacket was spotted by a farmer who had been chatting to a search party of friends and in-laws earlier.
So hi vis when all else failed saved his life !
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I think that the Dutch video illustrates the point that, even if you wear Hi-Vis, if you put yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, it ain't going to help. I have a similar view of people who buy only (and please people, no-one take offence at this) £700 Arai helmets and £1000 kangaroo skin suits then ride like a nob as if they are invincible. Hit a tree at 60 mph wearing that lot and you are as dead as the next rider wearing cheaper gear. Road riding and sliding down a track with nothing coming the other way are two different things.

On the TDM forum there are loads of people adding extra lights and loud horns so that they can be seen and make their presence known - why? If you ride defensively you rarely need such things and you will be a poor rider if you are constantly on edge expecting something to hit you.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Tweety

Post by Tweety »

I wear hi-wiz when the weather calls for it, and wouldn't go near a bike, even on a bright sunny day without the gear with reflective stripes on...

But, it still comes down to riding defensively... I expect the numpties in the cages around me to try and hit me... That way, if they don't, I get a nice surprise, instead of a bad one... :)
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I do wear an Hi-Vis jacket all the time now, but must admit I didn't when I was younger.

I agree a lot of road users still won't see you, but if more do than without wearing one, then it worth it IMO.

The strange/funny thing is most road users never fail to see a big flashing blue light 8O
The scary thing is, the odd few who would miss that would have been the ones with their heads looking down texting as they drive :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Chris.