Grey Imports - Remember Them?

General Bike chat
Mav617

Grey Imports - Remember Them?

Post by Mav617 »

Read an article in Practical Sportsbikes about the Grey Import market as it was in the early days. Reminded me of trips to West Coast near Southport, lusting after some of the exotica we'd never heard of, FZR250s, RGV Wolf, NC30's, all sorts of gorgeous weirdo creations that you knew would draw gasps at Rivi Barn or Devil's Bridge. Great days, I bought an RZ250LC, and it was mint, still had Yamaha tape around the fusebox. Had to go on a Q Reg though as couldn't prove the age but loved it to bits and it was miles better than an equivalent RD of the time condition-wise and comparable in cost. I also had a GSXR400, from Performance Salvage in Darwen, nice enough but had to rev the nuts off it everywhere.

Anyone else owned a grey and what was it?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
lloydie

Re: Grey Imports - Remember Them?

Post by lloydie »

nc23 cbr400rr tri arm fantastic bike when fitted with a cbr600 engine and better forks and rear shock :twisted: still miss it but not the pain i was in after half a days ride as it was tiny
magnum

Post by magnum »

CB1 400four.
Still have it.
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Had 2 vfr400 nc30's both grey imports and my Tzr I have now is also an import
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I remember a place on the way to Southend sea front that used to do them, I remember looking round and drooling at the bike because they were JUST within my price range, unlike the Offical imports.

I remember when they had storms one time, they were a big boys toy then to me.

Also remember the main dealers kicking off about them as well.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

CB1 400four.
Broke my Femur twice on one of them. Loved my CB1 it, was a mad bike, de-restricted with a race exhaust of some sort. Used to use it for Courier work. It got stolen by the plod/compound (thieving wombles police flowers :evil: :evil: :evil:) after one of my accidents, I got towed to Hospital and my bike CB1 got towed to the pound. After a few weeks in Hospital the fees cost more than what the bike was worth. Talk about taking advantage of someone when they are at their most vulnerable, I still get angry over it today. What a stinking sh1t system we have here. They could have easily left the bike at the side of the road/pavement or even off road so it's not a danger to anyone else.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Cbr nc 23 loved the bike and it was great on roundabouts sold it for next to nothing but was a minter,my loss their gain
magnum

Re:

Post by magnum »

cybercarl wrote:
CB1 400four.
Broke my Femur twice on one of them. Loved my CB1 it, was a mad bike, de-restricted with a race exhaust of some sort. Used to use it for Courier work. It got stolen by the plod/compound (thieving ferking police flowers :evil: :evil: :evil:) after one of my accidents, I got towed to Hospital and my bike CB1 got towed to the pound. After a few weeks in Hospital the fees cost more than what the bike was worth. Talk about taking advantage of someone when they are at their most vulnerable, I still get angry over it today. What a stinking sh1t system we have here. They could have easily left the bike at the side of the road/pavement or even off road so it's not a danger to anyone else.

(:-})
It's for sale if you want another one :thumbup:
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

FZR400 - at 6'2" I looked like a pea on a drum on it. Was a hoot, I never slowed down for corners...!
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Bandit 400. Had the gsxr engine in it,but I didn't have to bend myself in half to use her.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
crispalmer

Post by crispalmer »

1992 GSXR 400

Was my first "big bike" absolutely loved it, sold it to my best buddy when I progressed onto my sv650, only thing is he was on a restricted licence so at 33bhp it felt really gutless. I Think the best thing about the GSXR is it certainly taught me a hell of a lot about bike control before I progressed onto the big bikes, it was fast enough to get a tank slapper and spin the back wheel up but slow enough to think "ok so what do I do now then"