Removing scratches

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
darkember

Removing scratches

Post by darkember »

Ok I have several imperfections in my front mudguard. What products can I use to cut them out without have to do a re-spray. Bare in mind this is plastic. I was going to Tcut it but then noticed a sentence saying not to use on plastic trim??? 8O
Shauned71

Re: Removing scratches

Post by Shauned71 »

You can use T-cut... after all it's a painted surface you are working on and not actually plastic... I certainly wouldn't use T-cut on plain black plastic. Saying that... I wouldn't use T-cut anyway. If you have to buy something, Farecla G10 will do the job... you can buy the stuff in smallish tubes bit like a large tooth paste tube. Not the cheapest stuff around but works and lasts for ages. Just soft cloth and rub over the scratched area. As you are cutting, when the compound starts to go dry just add a tad of water and it will keep on working. If the scratches are a bit deep.. you may need to give the area a light flat down.. 1500/2000 or even finer grade wet 'n dry and then cut back up with the Farecla :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Great advice that Shaun. I had a go with G3 once, great product, but always get confused between G3, G6, G10. There's so many products out there but T-cut would be last on my list as it's consumer based and probably too harsh. It does depend on the depth of the scratches though as there is only so many microns of paint before you get down to the primer.

Have you seen this old thread of mine Shaun. Maybe I need to add G10 to the list.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... it=Farecla

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

WAIT!!!! MY bad... Use G3 Don't know what I was thinking then Carl.. I don't even use G10 lmao

G10 is good for finishing off but myself when finishing I use a smidge of G3 mixed with a normal wax.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

WAIT!!!! MY bad...
I wasn't having a pop for not searching mate. Just wanted to point out the thread to see if you had anything to add in your professional opinion. It also links this thread to it then for future searchers. :wink:

==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

What about 3000 wet & dry?? then
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

cybercarl wrote:
WAIT!!!! MY bad...
I wasn't having a pop for not searching mate. Just wanted to point out the thread to see if you had anything to add in your professional opinion. It also links this thread to it then for future searchers. :wink:

Didn't think you was having a pop mate... just don't know why I wrote G10 when I have been using G3 for so many years... don't make no sense at all :crazy:

I like farecla products... 3M also do some good stuff but it is expensive.. I bought what was back in the day called the Finesse it kit... all grades of papers, polishes etc... was about £150 at the time but bare in mind that was probably near 20 years ago... have used Farecla ever since.
cybercarl wrote:
Have you seen this old thread of mine Shaun. Maybe I need to add G10 to the list.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... it=Farecla

I have.. it's a nice little thread that. I have on occasion used 1k products, but only on small jobs where I have wanted faster drying or less worry about over spray... harder to get a nice finish compared to using 2k products so makes for useful information as using 1k products suits a lot more folk if they are doing work at home.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

darkember wrote:What about 3000 wet & dry?? then
1500/2000/3000 They will all do the same job... If you do need to give the panel a flat down first then using 2000 or better 3000 will make cutting the paint back up easier if you are working by hand.

Myself I normally use 1500 wet/dry but then i'm usually using a machine when cutting back up with the G3. If it's an area that does need some hand work then I have soft 2000 grade pads I use instead of the wet/dry paper.