Hi-Vis discussion

General Biker Banter
Tweety

Re: Hi-Vis discussion

Post by Tweety »

Kev L wrote:Now you're showing your age Tweety! My Grandaughter pushes buttons on our washing machine, dishwasher, oven, mobiles & computers which takes us the best part of the time before her next visit to resolve! She is 19 months old. Oh bugger.
I'm not THAT old... Just impatient... I tend to go out and open them bottles with the band-saw once they piss me off...

But yeah, my brothers little kid, now nearly two years old has tested our ingenuity on child proofing to the limits... It took him a whole of two minutes to figure out how to undo the supposed child proof lock on the gate from their garden to the street... After three different attempts with commercial products that all failed in minutes, my brother resorted to a KISS solution, using a lockable carbine hook that just needs to much strength for him to open standing on tip-toes, although he knows damned well how to do it...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
seb421

Post by seb421 »

they are sh1t a work mate rides a ZXR636 he wears a his vis bib, once hes about meter in front you cant make out his bib

better road positing and better lights would be a better result in reducing collisions and sorry i didn't see you mate arguments

often people ride far to close to the pavement / parked cars on the left to be seen by cars emerging from a side road by the time they see them your over their bonnet

i often think if some bikers used a bit more brain about their position on the road they would be a lot easier to spot, move over to the right so you can be seen sooner, when your on bends use the road to their advantage so your able to get a better clearer view of the road ahead and be seen by other road users

do check your brake lights and headlights at least once a week, takes all of a few seconds to turn around and check the brake light comes on when you apply brakes

sometimes though your always going to get the dumb b8stard that should not be on the roads full stop, that old lady springs to mind who pulled out on me when i was on the repsol with bright clothing and bright helmet and my headlights on looking right at her doing 20mph in a 20 zone she waited until i was almost in front of her car and then set of pulling out in front of me, wombles fright of my life that one how i didn't hit her ill never know i just thank Christ for those 954 brakes i had at the time
i felt sick and angry after that i think the language i used was vile but she deserved it
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

My personal opinion is that anyone wearing hi-vis is insecure and doesnt trust his abilities, biking wize, its a childish security blanket for people who should'nt be riding bikes. That;s why they always do 60mph max
Anyone doind over 60 mphin hi-viz, is breaching the Hi-viz law.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

ehh im neither for it or against it. i dont wear anything Hi Vis, but that doesnt mean its not a good idea. shoot i dont even have a horn :shh: but i think it comes down to freedom's. i hate that there is a helmet law. and by this i mean i would ALWAYS wear a helmet NO MATTER WHAT. but i dont like that the government says i HAVE to or i cant ride. i get it keeps stupid people from riding without helmets and dying but c'mon, erryone knows motor bikes are dnagerous. if your dumb enough to ride one without it then thats your own fault. i deffinatley dont want anyone saying i have to wear flourescent colors if i dont choose to.

even if you wear hi vis stuff and agree that a law forcing people to wear them just makes people safer... its not about being safe or anything. its about freedom and liberty and the right to make your own decisions. you let the government say that you HAVE to wear hi vis. next they say motor bikes are too dangerous and outlaw them.... people have to be able to make their own judgements. not be forced to do something because people think is "right"
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Jscobey wrote:ehh im neither for it or against it. i dont wear anything Hi Vis, but that doesnt mean its not a good idea. shoot i dont even have a horn :shh: but i think it comes down to freedom's. i hate that there is a helmet law. and by this i mean i would ALWAYS wear a helmet NO MATTER WHAT. but i dont like that the government says i HAVE to or i cant ride. i get it keeps stupid people from riding without helmets and dying but c'mon, erryone knows motor bikes are dnagerous. if your dumb enough to ride one without it then thats your own fault. i deffinatley dont want anyone saying i have to wear flourescent colors if i dont choose to.

even if you wear hi vis stuff and agree that a law forcing people to wear them just makes people safer... its not about being safe or anything. its about freedom and liberty and the right to make your own decisions. you let the government say that you HAVE to wear hi vis. next they say motor bikes are too dangerous and outlaw them.... people have to be able to make their own judgements. not be forced to do something because people think is "right"

Thats very true. Can you imagine if everybody wore hi-vis?, dog walkers, horse riders,pedestrians etc, if would still be crap, hi-vis used to be different and thats what people noticed, nowadays i see all manner of people wearing them and they just blend in.

Riding with lights on nowadays is the norm on lots of cars etc but loud cans do work, i filter (sensibly) and its always the cans that they hear and notice. They will no doubt come up with another shite idea soon like flashing lights on trilby hats etc but that wont stop the ignorant "i didn't see you" nobs knocking you off. Be vigalent, be careful where and when you over take look in there mirrors when filtering and have fookin loud cans :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
ging500

Post by ging500 »

I think hi viz may have a play in a bikers kit but I would prefer a loud pipe and bright headlight!!there was one scenario that got me thinking and nearly made me by hi viz (although I may have been paranoid at the time) was driving at night through country lanes and you have an accident all by ya self!! Two things are going to be, either in the road or in the ditch!! Especially with an fi bike which cut out instantly so no light from bike! Hi viz could help you be found if ya in a ditch or if ya in the road itt could save you from being run over by the next vehicle!