Oil change

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tam Cunningham

Oil change

Post by Tam Cunningham »

I'm giving mines an oil and filter change tomoz, what capacity of oil does it require for the oil change???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ckennedy

Re: Oil change

Post by Ckennedy »

You'll want a full 4l. Fill the filer up first and then tip the rest in. You may find you'll need another 1l bottle to top it up after a good run

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

4 litres, if you're fitting a new filter as well, will not be enough to fill it up past the low level line, you need another half litre or so.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's a bloody con bike oil being sold in 4L, cars get 5 for the same price. Keep an eye out for the extra 1L deals.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-LTRS-MOTUL ... 417ee579c7

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

i use car oil in my bike its the same thing its just a rip of other wise oil is oil
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
chric

Post by chric »

nt1980 wrote:i use car oil in my bike its the same thing its just a rip of other wise oil is oil
its not same
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Many motorcycle riders are given conflicting recommendations about what type of oil to use in their vehicles. Numerous motorcycle manufacturers heavily promote the use of specially formulated motorcycle oils, claiming that these are better for the life of the motorcycle and will not wear down as quickly. In fact, it is perfectly safe to use oil formulated for automobiles in motorcycles, as long as it is of an appropriate viscosity and the motorcycle is kept well maintained, as all motor vehicles should be.

In most cases, it is recommended that motorcycle riders use semi synthetic oils in their vehicles. Semi synthetic is more expensive than natural oil, but will stand up to wear and tear better, and tends to keep desired properties longer. Most companies are making affordable synthetic oils available and it is well worth the minimal extra investment to be assured longer performance.

All oil provides a rating which indicates the viscosity. The lower the rating, the lighter the oil is, meaning that it flows very easily. This is not an issue at low temperatures, but as the engine heats up, it will rapidly begin to degrade, and get very hot. As a result, riders want one with high viscosity to ensure smooth running of the engine at high temperatures. Many come with a combined rating such as 20W-50, indicating that at low temperatures the oil flows smoothly and as the engine heats, it retains its viscosity. Single grade is available, but multigrade is recommended.

The claim made by many manufacturers of specially formulated motorcycle oil is that which is designed for cars may actually damage the engine of a motorcycle. This is simply not true. While some designed for automotive use is not optimal in motorcycles, most oil is easily interchangeable, although motorcycles are more demanding than cars are. Motorcycles still operate along the same internal combustion principles as cars do, after all.

In scientific testing, it has been determined that motorcycles will break down oil more quickly than cars, with the results being the same for both types. Oil breaks down as repeated circulation shortens the polymers in it, causing the viscosity to be lowered. In addition, increased oxidation and repeatedly running too hot will cause it to break down and become less effective. Testing also determined that synthetic oils are not as subject to break down as natural ones, and are therefore a better choice for riders.

The choice is yours at the end of the day i prefer the cheaper :D
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That will give you your slipper clutch :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Taken many years still no slipper clutch yet must be myth :D
ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

I restored an old Yamaha XJ550 YICS 1982 and put auld car oil in it no bother, can't say I'd be too trusting doing the same in the Storm! I'm interested in the debate - carry on !
Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself appear more photosynthesis
chric

Post by chric »

Still only use bike oil
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Its down to personal preference lots of people will use different things that others would not think about doing that is the whole joy of life and makes it interesting.

Personally never had any issue to worry about with the bikes i have owned over the years apart from my wallet being a little heavier.

I Under stand every one against that again its any ones choice.
ltdslipdiff

Post by ltdslipdiff »

I know I could Google it, but what spec's must the engine oil meet for the Storm? ACEA etc etc? I'd much prefer to use a fully synthetic 10w-40 if I could, have seen so many cars ruined by semi-syn oil turning to sludge when service intervals are exceeded. Left the bike idling recently and it
boiled over when I got side-tracked. The fan was running but it still dumped a load of coolant out on the ground and was bubbling like a kettle. Should probably change oil after that...... :think:
Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself appear more photosynthesis
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Only semi synthetic 10 40 should ever be used fully synthetic will give you clutch slip etc etc