Firestorm blown over by Saturday's storm

General Bike chat
althefish

Firestorm blown over by Saturday's storm

Post by althefish »

My beautiful 'Storm got blown over by the storm on Saturday night. I was away in West Wales when I got a call from a neighbour with the bad news :(

Mirror and indicator smashed, foot peg and back brake spigot snapped off and a scuffed clutch cover, but on the plus side no fairing or exhaust damage. A quick trip to M&P in Swansea for the mirror and indicator and Harris Performance's very quick delivery got me back up and running by Wednesday :) A day with RIP Customs in Barry to sort the clutch cover next week and she'll be nearly good as new. Really could have done without the expense (just got my new Schuberth SR1 and it's MCCTs and big service next week) but could've been a lot lot worse.

Enjoy the sun folks,

Al
Watty

Re: Firestorm blown over by Saturday's storm

Post by Watty »

Bugger mate :( but like you say no fairing damage is good :D .
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Check the screen brace / clock mount as they twist easy when the bike falls over
althefish

Post by althefish »

Watty wrote:Bugger mate :( but like you say no fairing damage is good :D .
Cheers, yes very true!
althefish

Post by althefish »

lloydie wrote:Check the screen brace / clock mount as they twist easy when the bike falls over
Thanks, I'll have a look now.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your bike must sit quite upright then. You ether don't have the standard sidestand or have changed/altered the suspension. Have you got a shock spacer and not dropped the forks. It would not be easy for the bike to be blown over at it's standard lean angle on the sidestand.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
althefish

Post by althefish »

cybercarl wrote:Your bike must sit quite upright then. You ether don't have the standard sidestand or have changed/altered the suspension. Have you got a shock spacer and not dropped the forks. It would not be easy for the bike to be blown over at it's standard lean angle on the sidestand.

Thanks cybercarl, you're right, the bike does sit quite upright on the stand. Could it be down to the Proflex shock on the anniversary bike?
althefish

Post by althefish »

Lee, in reply to your PM (I can't) I'm happy with the M&P mirror. Out of the box I was pleasantly surprised, it looks the part with good weight to it and a quality appearance. The rubber boot is a bit plasticky/stiff so I used the old one, but overall it's good. It fits well, was easy to adjust and I don't get the impression that it will go floppy. Unlike the original, the mirror itself does have a little bit of distortion, very slightly 'funhouse' but fine in use.
Hope that helps :)
Al
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

althefish wrote:My beautiful 'Storm got blown over by the storm on Saturday night. I was away in West Wales when I got a call from a neighbour with the bad news :(

Mirror and indicator smashed, foot peg and back brake spigot snapped off and a scuffed clutch cover, but on the plus side no fairing or exhaust damage. A quick trip to M&P in Swansea for the mirror and indicator and Harris Performance's very quick delivery got me back up and running by Wednesday :) A day with RIP Customs in Barry to sort the clutch cover next week and she'll be nearly good as new. Really could have done without the expense (just got my new Schuberth SR1 and it's MCCTs and big service next week) but could've been a lot lot worse.

Enjoy the sun folks,

Al
i know how you feel, mine went over twice during the winter storms, i didn't have too much damage, lloydie kindly sorted it for me, mine was on the sidestand with a heavy cover and still went over. :x i kept an eye on it on saturday.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It wont be the shock on it's own as it should be 345mm eye to eye being made for the Storm. But if it has been heightened by a shock spacer or by the shock itself if it has height adjustment then this raises the rear of the bike so it sits more upright. If you drop the forks by 5 to 10mm this will balance it back out and also give you a faster turn in. When I say drop the forks that means raise the stanchions through the top yoke, so the ring clip does not sit flush against the top of the clip-ons.

Make sure you jack the front of the bike up first or do one side at a time if moving the stanchions so the bike don't flop to the ground. :wink:

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

cybercarl wrote:It wont be the shock on it's own as it should be 345mm eye to eye being made for the Storm. But if it has been heightened by a shock spacer or by the shock itself if it has height adjustment then this raises the rear of the bike so it sits more upright. If you drop the forks by 5 to 10mm this will balance it back out and also give you a faster turn in. When I say drop the forks that means raise the stanchions through the top yoke, so the ring clip does not sit flush against the top of the clip-ons.

Make sure you jack the front of the bike up first or do one side at a time if moving the stanchions so the bike don't flop to the ground. :wink:

The shock spacer didn't make my bike sit more upright... I had to swap the side stand because I was always paranoid it was going to tip over because it leaned over so much.

Althefish... wind was pretty high around here over weekend... I was sat in my garage waiting for my roof sheets to blow off at any time :lol:
Glad the damage is light... As Lloydie said though, check the h/l frame... not much too them. Said frame was bent on my bike from before I had it, on the bright side... they are easy to straighten back up :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The shock spacer didn't make my bike sit more upright... I had to swap the side stand because I was always paranoid it was going to tip over because it leaned over so much.
Am I getting mixed up here and it goes the other way :confused :think: Anyway altering the suspension height, rear and/or front affects the lean angle one way or the other.

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

I'm not sure how changing the front set up effects bike but the shim in the back makes em lean.. I was none of the wiser when I bought my bike... shim was already fitted but didn't know it was there until I checked after reading up about the shims on here shortly after I joined. I did from the start notice the bike seemed to lean a bit too much though, especially if I caught the camber of the road out side my house wrong. I had parked up the one day outside.. walked away, looked back thinking bike didn't look right.. Went back and checked, kid you not I put very little pressure on the right side of the bike and she tipped.. no probs though because I was between bike and ground but after that and until a bought a longer stand it was check, check and double check! :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Front makes a difference too. When I first got mine and put a 6mm shock spacer in, the bike leaned too much. I'm sure if it was more upright, but you have me thinking now as it may have been the other way. I too was going to buy a different sidestand :think: yeh I think your right, it would have been a longer sidestand I was gong to get. So yes the shock spacer makes it lean towards the stand more. When I raised the forks 10mm it no longer leaned the same and was back to a more normal lean, so I never replaced the stand.

macdee

Post by macdee »

al bit late but this may help in future

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33609
told you not to but oh no you knew better