which year...

General Biker Banter
commander

which year...

Post by commander »

hi guys, will be looking around for a firestorm in about a month an was just wondering which 'year' to go for.

Would it be best to go for as newer one as possible or does in not make that much difference? I know there were major changes in 2001 tank size etc but bikes of that year will (obviously) be more expensive. Are the newer models much better than the older models?

thanks
kevg

Post by kevg »

Newer models have bigger tank, but less hp, only about 2-3 at most i'd think though. the airbox was made smaller to compensate for the extra fuel.

i don't think they changed the suspension at all between new and old, but they did put higher bars on the new, giving a slightly more cumfortable riding position.and updated the clocks also.

i'd try both and see which fits you best, and go for what you can afford to buy.

plenty of mods can be done to them, higher screen, rental bars, cans, jet kit and filter, lower fairing, the usual with any bike really.
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

There was not that much difference really. As you mentioned the tank size went from 16ltrs to 19ltrs, to allow for this the airbox was made smaller and some will say reduced the BHP slightly. The handle bars were at a less of an angle, for more comfortable riding position, the speedo rev counter set up was up graded to include a digital speedo, I think it also has a fuel gauge. Also I believe the front forks were very slightly improved. If I have missed something no doubt someone will soon be here to say :!:

Chris.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Having had the smaller tank model I would advise getting the larger tank model, unless you like pushing, it makes a difference on a long ride. Otherwise you start looking for gas at 85 miles just to be safe.
Once got 140 from a tank but was coasting down hills.
averge mpg 35, best ever 50mpg at 70 on motorway for hours. and I do mean 70 no higher.
Red light usuall comes on at 100 miles on smaller tank model
it may be clever, but its not big.
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

sirch345 wrote:There was not that much difference really. As you mentioned the tank size went from 16ltrs to 19ltrs, to allow for this the airbox was made smaller and some will say reduced the BHP slightly. The handle bars were at a less of an angle, for more comfortable riding position, the speedo rev counter set up was up graded to include a digital speedo, I think it also has a fuel gauge. Also I believe the front forks were very slightly improved. If I have missed something no doubt someone will soon be here to say :!:

Chris.
No digital speedo, fuel gauge trip meters, temp gauge in digi bit. Still has dial speedo and rev counter.

Like anything get the best one you can afford, which usually but not always means the one with the lowest mileage and preferably a one or two owner bike
It's here.........
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

personally i prefer the older model.. mine is a 2000 . the speedo is easier to read. and being over six feet high i find the lower bars easier on my back.
does anyone know if the ctt's were upgraded post 2000? if so that would be a good reason to buy a newer model [peace of mind!]as for tank range. I really dont mind ..when my fuel light comes on.. I stop for fuel..it dosent impinge on my enjoyment of the storm in any way...on the ride back from the lakes last year.. me and kev.g stopped for fuel at the same time[about every hundred miles] and kev has the larger tank.
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

They're much of a muchness (apart from what's already been mentioned). You're better off looking at condition & low kms.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
commander

Post by commander »

ok thanks ^^