Battery/Alternator/R/R?

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Battery/Alternator/R/R?

Post by Boubepo »

This is a question related to my SP1 [hope that's okay here?} - Although I have had Regulator/Rectifier problems with my Storm, this problem feels a little different. I haven't carried out any electrical tests on the R/R yet or the alternator but here's what's happening.

Two weeks a go - a dead battery, It's the original battery from when I bought the bike, so after a re-charge and finding it going flat again next day, I thought I'd get it changed but I then ended up charging and re-charging the new battery 4 times in one week! I have had the battery checked and the battery is fine and holds 13 volts when fully charged but is going flat inside two days.

The R/R looks a more robust and better quality component than the one on my Storm, the earths all look good/clean

Voltage reading, across battery when bike is started seems to fluctuated - occasionally but very occasionally 14v but most of the time 12.8v with lights off and around 12.4v with lights on. I'm suspecting an alternator problem possibly or perhaps it's that crazy chap - the R/R? - I had change the R/R 3 times on my storm but the first two R/R failures fried my battery, this time on my SP1, the battery isn't getting fried, just doesn't seem to be getting enough voltage back.

Any thoughts would be very welcome :}
Wicky

Re: Battery/Alternator/R/R?

Post by Wicky »

Funnily enough I've had a less than efficient charging system since last winter. Finally today got round to replacing alternator and this is the old one!

Windings should be a nice coppery colour and note some are frazzled
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks Wicky, do you have a link the that battery trouble shooting page? So I can get pages 16-6 and 16-8

Also where did you buy your new alternator and what was the price.

I just checked the voltage from the alternator going into the R/R My understanding is all - 3 yellow wires should be giving 75 volts [a/c] - neutral cable of multi-tester to Earth and positive cable of tester to each of the 3 yellows - I'm getting 45 - 45 - 8
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This is for the Firestorm but charging systems should be mostly similar

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28771

My spare alternator was a fleabay bargain I has stashed away (plus I have another spare one from Jamie from a relatively new but dropped Storm)

If it is your alternator and you can find the part no then hopefully it will be a common part with a couple or three other Hondas from that time.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog ... rs_32.html

To change its is quite easy, get a new gasket and the hardest bit was routing the cable & connector between the frame & motor to where it plugs into the loom.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Sounds like the alternator could be a problem. However, one question. Does your SP have an alarm/immobiliser fitted? Reason I ask is that I had a similar problem with the battery on my SP. What I found was that after mine went flat you could recharge it but if you didn`t keep it on an optimate the alarm/immobiliser was enough to suck it dry again after a few days. Now kept hooked up when not in use and the problem has not reappeared. Just a thought.
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thank you for all the info Wicky, which is very helpful, I'm already looking at a number of things and running tests which I hadn't thought of

Turbo_Billy - I have a non-functioning Datatool box wired in, which is housed in the rear fairing - having said that, I'm guessing it is partially disconnected as I use a normal ignition key and didn't realise it was on the bike, until I went to make some adjustments to the Power Commander