A true and noble statement

General Biker Banter
VTRgirl

A true and noble statement

Post by VTRgirl »

Firstly, the context...

An English soldier tells of how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his fellow soldiers, everywhere he went, how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our freedoms but so that others may have them also.

But he also tells of an incident in the grocers' shop he stopped at the other day, on his way home from the barracks. He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the checkout she loudly remarked about the Union Jack lapel badge the cashier wore on her blouse. The cashier reached up and touched the badge, and said proudly, "Yes, I always wear it and probably always will."

The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi. A gentleman standing behind the soldier stepped forward, putting an arm around his shoulders, and said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman:

"Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in MY country and accuse a cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there today. But if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here, in MY country to avoid."

Here here!
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Best thing I heard in a long time
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sums it up nicely.

Well said VTR Girl

Pete.l
If we all worked as hard at getting along as we do at criticising others we would all be in a much nicer place
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It does make you think :!: