Insurance money burning a hole in my pocket

General Biker Banter
Fireman on a Storm

Insurance money burning a hole in my pocket

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Well after a bit of an argument and haggle, i got £3400 from the insurance company today.
Mine was a 2000 Storm with 11k on the clock. You always want more but it was a reasonable offer in the end.

A word of warning though. Check the value on your proposal form. Mine was filled out by the broker for 3k. The broker said it was a rough guide on value, and any pay out would be governed by market values. The insurance company tried to say the proposal form value was the max they would pay out. This is where the arguments started. My proposal form clearly said ESTIMATED VALUE. Yet the insurance tried to then quote the small print that you don't get the opportunity to see until the policy is taken out. I ended up getting the broker involved and talking to the Financial ombudsman (insurance section) before getting an improved offer from the insurance.

I do think it's taking the piss when they tell you that if you over value your vehicle on the proposal form the will only pay out the market value, yet if your ESTIMATED VALUE is under the market value they will try and not pay you what it's worth.

So if you here of any good bikes up for grabs give me a shout. I might get myself fit enough to ride one soon, more physio tomorrow!
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

glad to hear it paul!!not a bad pay out after all ay?now its time to get another bike!!good on yer mate! :D
ImageImageImageImage
thumper

Post by thumper »

good luck with the search for a new bike "Fireman on a Storm" the right one will come along i am sure mind its a buyers market :)

the insurance companies are up to the madam :x if we go fully comp the excess is so high
us (the punters) would only claim if its a total loss or garanteed not our fault :?
the days of claiming for the bike falling over in the drive are long gone
if its £450 excess realistilly you would have to have say£800 of damage by the time we loose no claims and the hasstle
i changed my in-sewerance a few years back for my bikes to third party fire n theft ,what with e-bay and breakers the prices we can pick things up for now is great :D
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Excellent news Fireman I'm pleased you got it sorted and it does sound reasonable.

What's the story now on the 'no claims bonus' situation :?:

Chris.
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

SORTED...Nice one..sweeeeet...just got to pick a colour eh m8?!
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

HI FOAS

Mines for sale a '97 black storm with 11k on the clock.
I've owned it for 4 years since 3000miles. Hi level ART titanium’s, black lower fairing, black screen, 11 months mot, 6 months tax, superb condition and extremely reliable.

Dyno jetted to suit cans with 110.9bhp all original cans etc come with the bike, although I have never had a problem with MOTing it with the cans on. Sounds awesome!

PM me if your interested, I'm only selling as I want to do some touring with my wife this year and the storms not the ideal bike for that :cry: .

Phil
Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

sirch345 wrote:Excellent news Fireman I'm pleased you got it sorted and it does sound reasonable.

What's the story now on the 'no claims bonus' situation :?:

Chris.
I'm waiting for my proof off no claims bonus. I paid extra for protected no claims, but some companies stick a loading on for an accident and say they are honoring your no claims.
KGM at Lloyds, willingly took my money for protected no claims in September, have canceled my insurance because it was a total lost, and now say they won't quote me for a new policy because I have had a claim in the last year!

Even though the claim was not my fault, the police are prosecuting the Swede for no insurance and driving with undue care and attention KGM at Lloyds are still saying it's a FAULT claim, unless they recover their money or the blame for the accident is proved in court. The 2 independent wittinesses seam irrelevant at the moment!

I have been shopping round. The best quote is £217 fully comp with a £250 access. This is still £47 dearer than September 2005 and my access was only £200.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Don't things like that Fireman just wind you up :!: I won't harp on about it, I just hope you get what you should get, not some cop out from your insurers.

If the worst comes to the worst I will say that quote you had at £217 fully comp with a £250 access is pretty good imo,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I agree,
mine was £190 fully comp last year with full no claims

Good luck on the bike hunt Fireman noton a Storm :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: