Yokes and triples question.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adeyren

Yokes and triples question.

Post by adeyren »

Hi all
Sorry not a VTR owner but next best thing, a VFR 5th gen 2001 owner. Doing a fork swap on her ie R1 forks,rim and brakes. Main reason are the VFR forks are dire under hard braking. Changed springs and oil, slight improvement but not enough. Question ive got is, are VTR yoke and triple the same as the SP 1. I need a SP 1 yoke and triple as these fit the R1 forks. Bought a SP 1 yoke off ebay and it was twisted to death so sent it back. Found a VTR top and bottom in Europe and wondered if its the same as the SP1.

Thanks Ade
Wicky

Re: Yokes and triples question.

Post by Wicky »

Nope - VTR1000 SP1 and VTR1000F different bikes with different diameter forks.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
adeyren

Post by adeyren »

Thanks wicky, damn back to searching fleabay. SP 1/2 stuff is like rocking horse poo.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I thought the usual mod for VFRs was to fit Firestorm forks - with the added bonus you can get them professionally set-up and Rodgered* for only just over a couple of hundred pounds to achieve a massively improved front end.

*Rodger Ditchfield at Revolution Racing
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
adeyren

Post by adeyren »

R1 front end was a steal couldnt turn it down. Others have done it and R1 front is supposed to be even better. Not starting the project until the winter so plenty of time to change my mind if need be.
popkat

Post by popkat »

The obvious answer would be to use the R1 yokes and swap the stem from your VFR yokes, you will probably have to mess with the lock stops and ignition barrel but other than that it should fit ok. a good engineering shop can do the stem swap.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
adeyren

Post by adeyren »

popkat wrote:The obvious answer would be to use the R1 yokes and swap the stem from your VFR yokes, you will probably have to mess with the lock stops and ignition barrel but other than that it should fit ok. a good engineering shop can do the stem swap.

popkat

Thought of that, am sure someone has done that before. Easier to do as in they are more obtainable. Hows them stem fixed then, just pressed in?
popkat

Post by popkat »

adeyren wrote:
popkat wrote:The obvious answer would be to use the R1 yokes and swap the stem from your VFR yokes, you will probably have to mess with the lock stops and ignition barrel but other than that it should fit ok. a good engineering shop can do the stem swap.

popkat

Thought of that, am sure someone has done that before. Easier to do as in they are more obtainable. Hows them stem fixed then, just pressed in?
Some are pressed in and some pressed then welded, see what they're like on what you've got and replicate that. The R1 may have a thicker stem which means a sleeve will be needed. It's been done loads by Suzuki GSX owners who upgrade to Bandit front ends.
Make sure you pick an engineer who knows their stuff.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

As you can only use a SP1 lower (as the SP2 has a larger stem) it will be hard to find one.

Another option, if it lines up with the fork mounting points is a 954 lower. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

I have an SP-1 front end on my 'storm, and I made some fancy pants top yokes to fit, a couple of years back. Do you want one?
I never took the entire front end off so didn't get the bottom yoke measurements :(
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Are there any straight up swaps that fit the storm without having to modify anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adeyren

Post by adeyren »

spikenipple wrote:I have an SP-1 front end on my 'storm, and I made some fancy pants top yokes to fit, a couple of years back. Do you want one?
I never took the entire front end off so didn't get the bottom yoke measurements :(
Be interested spikenipple. Got a pic? Bought a SP 1 yoke off ebay but when it came it was obviously twisted so sent it back. Still looking.
Cheers
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

Yeah sorry mate I missed your reply. I found the two I made and I haven't put the slits in across the fork bores yet. Will get them finished when I can jump onto a CNC mill at work!

As they stand now:

Render of the parts, black anodised:
adeyren

Post by adeyren »

Cheers spike those are excellent. Dont mind if anodized or not. What do you want for them?
spikenipple

Post by spikenipple »

I'll take £100 + delivery for one once they're finished. I can't say when that will be though, as the shop is pretty loaded up at the moment :thumbdown:
Anodising will be a bit extra, I'll have to go out for quote first though to find out exactly how much.