dunlop or pirelli ??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mr-jeff

dunlop or pirelli ??

Post by mr-jeff »

Yes I know its been done many a time before and it's all about rider preference etc etc.......
But
What I'm after is opinions on the following 2 tyres if anyone has used them.
If you would recomend them and why or if you think they are cr4p also tell me why pleeeease.
Following the advisory on my rear tyre during saturdays mot I've decided to replace both.
I don't do track days or loon around like a nutter so I'm not after super duper sport tyres.
I found online a place that will sell me either a pair of pirelli diablo strada sport touring tyres for £125
or a pair of dunlop qualifiers for £128.
I've had pirellis in the past on previous bikes and they were good but I've heard similar about the dunlops.
So have any of you stormers personally used either of these and if so what did you think.
Ta :thumbup:
Sounds like thunder, goes like lightning!!
8541Hawk

Re: dunlop or pirelli ??

Post by 8541Hawk »

Which Qualifiers?
Just Qualifiers or Q2 or Q3?

All are great tires and give exceptional grip wet or dry but like all sticky tires they go off too quickly.

As for handling, the first gen Qualifiers have a blunter front tire profile so they "feel" more like a Pilot in that the turn in is a little slower than "normal" Dunlop with the pointy front tire profile (technical terms there....lol)
Also the first gen rear tire is slightly smaller diameter than the later gens, so again they turn in a little slower but are more stable...... standard trade off.

As for grip, again great tires and I highly doubt you will ever find the limits of the traction they provide.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
darkember

Post by darkember »

I find Pirelli always give me great feedback compared to many different makes. Angel ST'S are good value and worth a look.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Both options are older generation tyres, but the main thing here is they're very different types of tyre from each other, seems to me like your just looking for the cheapest tyre without much thought to what they do, how they perform and how well they last.
Dunlop qualifier is a sports tyre, designed to grip but not last
Pirelli Strada is a sport touring tyre with more of a bias toward the touring, less grip, more miles..
Both have been superseded several times buy newer and better tyres in the respective manufacturers ranges..

Why not pay a little extra (£25-30) and get some Michelin pilot road 2's, they're a good sport touring tyre, offer good life and good grip, not track day grip but good enough for fast road riding.. Also as mentioned Pirelli Angel ST are good and offer the same as the Michelins, they can be found at good prices too.

IMO tyres I've just mentioned are a much better option than the ones you originally asked about.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

AS mentioned above, the tyres you are looking at are old models, still good though.
The Dunlop Qualifiers are very good, I have them fitted to my old FireBlade and can't complain, but they don't last long, you'll be lucky to get 2,500 miles out of a rear on a Storm, .
Dunlop SportSmart are a much better tyre, they last a lot longer and are an excellent choice for normal road use plus more, I've heard of some of the lads I know getting as much 5,000 and 6,000 miles out of a rear and they have excellent grip in dry or wet too, I have them fitted to my FireStorm and to my SP2 and really like them, the only reason I don't have them on my old FireBlade is because they don't do a 16".
Yes they cost a bit more, but in my opinion you should never skimp on tyres, it's the only thing keeping you in contact with the tarmac.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

+ 1 :thumbup: On the Dunlop SportSmart...

Got Mich Road 2's on the Red one at the mo but only cos he didn't have dunlops when I went in... :(

Good tyre but not much grip on a sloping drive at a standstill... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I was a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier convert having had 2 sets on my Storm.

Alas went to buy another set and couldn't get them.

I now have Bridgestone T30 tyres and love them.

Never had Bridgestone before and will buy another set.

Great grip, no squaring off and really sticky on the sides with good feedback under all conditions.

Curious to see what mileage I get from them, however all indications are better than what I got from the Dunlops.

Time will tell.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
popkat

Post by popkat »

kenmoore wrote:
Curious to see what mileage I get from them, however all indications are better than what I got from the Dunlops.

Time will tell.

That's because the T30 is a sport touring tyre and the Qualifier is a Sports tyre.. And they will square off, give them time :lol:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I understand that.

Just thinking that maybe the T30 is the better tyre for the application that I use the Storm under.

I have other bikes that are more sport oriented and they have Michelin and Pirelli tyres on them.

I use the Storm for longer rides and that is why I chose the T 30 tyres. I liked the Sport orientation of the Dunlops, however they were wasted on the type of riding that I do on the Storm.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia