Newly fitted front disc is warped??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
macca__macca

Re: Newly fitted front disc is warped??

Post by macca__macca »

Hey Watty,

I had the bike up on stands and just followed the service manual procedures for refitting the wheel, which does not include doing what you said. I am new to learning engines/mechanics and am teaching myself from scratch using the firestorm, forums and the service manual!

Should I loosen the wheel and fork pinch bolts, bounce it a bit then tighten?? The left disc seems perfectly true so I don't think the entire wheel is off centre...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i think you need to remove the discs and make sure the faces they bolt on to are ok. I also think you need to put the discs on a flat surface and check them (Kitchen work top!!!) etc. If all thats good. they tighten them up evenly across diagonals and a bit at a time etc. Bounce the forks etc then nip up and torque. Did you fit new pads! mistake if you didn't imho. Some people don't.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Yep, I removed the disc and double checked that the surface was perfectly flat and clean. I really struggled to detect any wobble when putting the disc on the kitchen bench top consistently but did discover as a result that my laminate bench top is not perfectly consistently flat across its surface.

I also fitted braided lines, cleaned the caliper pistons and pushed them back in to the caliper, flushed out the old brake fluid sludge and fitted new brembo pads.

Still waiting on delivery of some new hoses that go between the master cylinder and brake lever and then I'll be good to go and refill with fresh dot 4 and give it a go!

Watty

Post by Watty »

bigtwinthing wrote:i think you need to remove the discs and make sure the faces they bolt on to are ok. I also think you need to put the discs on a flat surface and check them (Kitchen work top!!!) etc. If all thats good. they tighten them up evenly across diagonals and a bit at a time etc. Bounce the forks etc then nip up and torque. Did you fit new pads! mistake if you didn't imho. Some people don't.
What he said^^. It doesn't sound like you have done anything particularly wrong though :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Thanks guys, I did take the disc off again and double check that the face was perfectly clean and unobstructed. I will loosen the wheel axle nut and fork pinch bolts and let the wheel align under its own weight as well and see if it's makes any difference.

Cheers!

macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

All seems good! The new brake setup is HUGELY better than stock - like chalk and cheese!! I have fantastic braking power now :-)

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

glad you got it sorted macca, check out delboys garage on youtube, he covers most things regarding motorbike maintenance, he offers very sound advice.
Last edited by agentpineapple on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
macca__macca

Post by macca__macca »

Will do, thanks for the tip!