optiglanz anyone

Post by macdee »

found this stuff on the net anyone ever used it ,looks the dogs dangles

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/op ... l/10004155

told you not to but oh no you knew better
bald_pig

Re: optiglanz anyone

Post by bald_pig »

Looks impressive, but it looks like fairly corrosive stuff, its main ingredient is phosphoric acid, so it could potentially eat through your downpipes!
macdee

Post by macdee »

bald_pig wrote:Looks impressive, but it looks like fairly corrosive stuff, its main ingredient is phosphoric acid, so it could potentially eat through your downpipes!
I didn't know that it had phosphoric acid in it, i thought its was some sort of witchcraft
i have recently used phosphoric acid in a gel form and its not great as it leaves a residue which has to be cleaned off
I think its much better raw
To stop it drying out i place a cloth on the area poor on the acid and cover it with a plastic bag
I think it only eats rust so S/S and other metals should be ok
told you not to but oh no you knew better
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

this came on after watch the video you put up

looks good as well
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I used acid alloy wheel cleaner and scotchbrite pads. worked a treat with no issues.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

One of these kits and a mains powered drill worked a treat. Mirror finish on the whole of a 996 system in an hour or so

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... ishing-kit

I have to be honest, those chemicals look a tad strong!!
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

I've removed my exhaust system for a clean and looked at those products...but decided a wash and scrub then spray black would give the look I want (pics to follow once finished), adding some new shiney W2 s/s clamps to replace the awfully rusty ones that came with the bike.

The silencers have been "wet n dried" to removed deep scratches and I bought this polishing kit which is AMAZING (and fantastic value).
Used a power drill, has taken MANY HOURS per can but finish is brilliant...only one down, one to go...struggling with spare time now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291410456248? ... EBIDX%3AIT
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

SmileyVTR wrote:I've removed my exhaust system for a clean and looked at those products...but decided a wash and scrub then spray black would give the look I want (pics to follow once finished), adding some new shiney W2 s/s clamps to replace the awfully rusty ones that came with the bike.

The silencers have been "wet n dried" to removed deep scratches and I bought this polishing kit which is AMAZING (and fantastic value).
Used a power drill, has taken MANY HOURS per can but finish is brilliant...only one down, one to go...struggling with spare time now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291410456248? ... EBIDX%3AIT
i'd suggest you use W4 clamps as iirc they're a better quality and will last longer than the W2
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've got the same polishing kit and used it on the storm headers. What a ball-ache.

I started with wet and dry and then spent an hour or two with the polishing kit but eventually lost the will to live. They were fairly corroded to begin with so I suppose the attempt to get a mirror finish was unrealistic. They look OK though.

Agree about the W4 clamps. The W2 are SS strap with mild steel worm. The W4 are all SS and well worth the extra. Use plenty of copaslip or similar when tightening otherwise they grab.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)