slow turning over after winter layup

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

slow turning over after winter layup

Post by tattoo »

I've been away since October which means the bike has been layed up for a fair few months now without being started so when i got home the first thing i did was put the battery on the optimate and check that the fuel hadn't gone off...after the battery had charged i stuck it back on and turned it over..i noticed it was turning slower than i remember and the terminals on the battery are getting warm...recharged the battery just to make sure it was charging ok and it was so tried again and it's still the same....slow turning and warm terninals....could this be the starter bolt or am i missing something else???...ordered a new motobatt battery just incase though..
ConTRo13R

Re: slow turning over after winter layup

Post by ConTRo13R »

Put 12v directly into the starter motor via jump leads (red to starter terminal, black to ground) see how well the motor turns over then. If it turns over nicely then the battery and starter are fine and it is the wires or the relay.

My money is on the starter has killed itself in protest of lack of use.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Fit a new battery and remember to maintain it with regular charging - at least every fortnight when not in use. Leaving it to go flat will permanently damage it.

Motorcycle Battery Care Guide > http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/articles/ma ... care-guide

How to Maintain your Motorcycle Battery > http://www.atbatt.com/motorcycle-batter ... le-battery

Hopefully fuel hasn't gummed up in the carbs as well over time - if it has the carbs will need a good clean out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if you do need a new starter, let me know mate and i'll do you a good forum deal on a fully refurbed starter... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

agentpineapple wrote:if you do need a new starter, let me know mate and i'll do you a good forum deal on a fully refurbed starter... :thumbup:
Fek me your as bad as Ade Fartmarsh... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You're on form tonight Mac :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Watty

Post by Watty »

MacV2 wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:if you do need a new starter, let me know mate and i'll do you a good forum deal on a fully refurbed starter... :thumbup:
:lol: :clap: Now that gave me a chuckle!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Thanks for the advice...new battery sorted the starting problem out but now she has an air leak on one of the vac pipes so next job is to replace ALL of the vac pipes as i noticed that the end that goes on the brass adapter looks like it has melted...i know this will of been asked many many times but what is the correct inside diameter of the vac pipe..might as well do the fuel pipes too while shes in bits too
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

MacV2 wrote:
I've only just seen this, how very dare you, my reaction times are no where near as good as his..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

agentpineapple wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
I've only just seen this, how very dare you, my reaction times are no where near as good as his..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i bet they are in a "Fart" competition :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tattoo wrote:Thanks for the advice...new battery sorted the starting problem out but now she has an air leak on one of the vac pipes so next job is to replace ALL of the vac pipes as i noticed that the end that goes on the brass adapter looks like it has melted...i know this will of been asked many many times but what is the correct inside diameter of the vac pipe..might as well do the fuel pipes too while shes in bits too
Don't know the size, so just take a 5mm long slice off the end of the old pipe and take it to any hydraulic line place. It needs to be vacuum line as thin wall/soft wall tubing will just collapse when a vac is applied.
So no, you can't use aquarium tubing!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Don't know the size, so just take a 5mm long slice off the end of the old pipe and take it to any hydraulic line place. It needs to be vacuum line as thin wall/soft wall tubing will just collapse when a vac is applied.
So no, you can't use aquarium tubing![/quote]

Thanks tony..I know I'm daft but even I wouldn't use fish tank tube.not even as a quick fix..there's a victory dealer 2 mins walk from me, I'll nip in there on the way home as I need new tubes for my carb balancer too..
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

ok, so how much is a refurb starter then if i need one ? Still gotta rip plastics off and check a few things but reckon it could be done for :( know more tomorrow.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

tattoo wrote:Don't know the size, so just take a 5mm long slice off the end of the old pipe and take it to any hydraulic line place. It needs to be vacuum line as thin wall/soft wall tubing will just collapse when a vac is applied.
So no, you can't use aquarium tubing!
Thanks tony..I know I'm daft but even I wouldn't use fish tank tube.not even as a quick fix..there's a victory dealer 2 mins walk from me, I'll nip in there on the way home as I need new tubes for my carb balancer too..[/quote]

I gave it a go, that's how I know!
It's funny watching it suck into a flat ribbon, and still runs ok, but it doesn't work for carb balancing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

marlbororman wrote:
ok, so how much is a refurb starter then if i need one ? Still gotta rip plastics off and check a few things but reckon it could be done for :( know more tomorrow.
hi mate I can do a forum price of £55 delivered.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!