LED Position and Instrument bulbs

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
SmileyVTR

LED Position and Instrument bulbs

Post by SmileyVTR »

OK, I like to be seen on the road - so

I changed the headlight to a brighter Philips one with orange tint on lower section,
Then wanted to put LED on the position light - and Instrument panel also, just to help see and make it look cooler!

Bought a 10 bulb pack off e-bay for £10 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281561087018)
9 went into the intrument panel; 1 for front position light
Easy to fit (if not work, rotate), plenty of space, no vaseline etc added, just plug and play.

The improvement on the Speedo/Odometer was mild, but definitely better (sure I'd see improvement at night).
Temp Gauge was better as it turned out the original bulb had blown
Indicators & other ancillary lights are MUCH IMPROVED (who hates people riding/driving no realising their indicators are still going off!)

Smiley :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: LED Position and Instrument bulbs

Post by sirch345 »

A nice how-to with good photo's, good job :clap:

Chris.
chippy 55

Post by chippy 55 »

Yeah just put a set on mine they are much brighter than the bulbs also thanks for the heads up on fitting them as about half mine didn't work first time round
Cheers chippy :thumbup:
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

these are what I use and I have also put them in my sons bike. they are very small but mega bright :thumbup:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-LED-Side ... 337d35c332

ps: same as aboth if they don`t work first time turn them round and try again
led aren't the same as normal bulbs they have to go the right way round
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

moving from Photobucket to Flikr so reloading main photo in case it is of use to anyone

ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

Got any night pictures of the back lights? Im guessing 5, 6 and 8 are for the back light, do you reckon you could change the back light colour with different coloured bulbs or is there a lens that dictates the colour?
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

ConTRo13R wrote:Got any night pictures of the back lights? Im guessing 5, 6 and 8 are for the back light, do you reckon you could change the back light colour with different coloured bulbs or is there a lens that dictates the colour?
Changing the lamps colour (bulbs go in the ground) :D should change the dash colour.

With experience of this I would suggest not using red for couple of reasons, can see the red parts on the gauge that well as all looks red and they are sh1t. Had some on mine and coudnt make anything out at night. Best colours I found were yellow and obviously white.

You could always open up the clocks and run a few LED strips round the edge and that would brighten the dash up. Just plug up the original lamp holes.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

This is the original one I posted (now lost on Photobucket) - looking back it doesn't do it justice at all!

The dash is MUCH brighter, and the warning/turn etc lights MUCH MUCH brighter (which makes them really useful, no more forgotten turning signal!)

I went for white and have no regrets.
There are some examples of other colours around the web - yes personalises a bit but I didn't want usability to suffer.

It's a really cheap mod. I also changed the front pilot light at the same time, making a nice white light:

Don't forget - LED bulbs work straight in for dash & pilot lights - but if you go for LED indicators (I did) you will need to get some resistors.
I went for the individual resistors to go on each turn signal = ball ache - if you can get one that replaces the main resistor under the seat do that!!
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

That pilot light does look so much better. Mine currently isnt plugged in. I know its needed for an mot but i just dont like the look but with that led it does look nicer.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Nice mod, makes quite a difference :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I've done this on all my bikes , it makes a lot of difference
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Anyone selling the LEd replacement bulbs for the later year dash?
I had the LED bulbs in my 98, but of course they don't work in my 2001. All the ads Im seeing are for the #194 style bulb used in the earlier dash.

The smaller later model 2001 and on dash bulb...Type 74 Yes?
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

E.Marquez wrote:Anyone selling the LEd replacement bulbs for the later year dash?
I had the LED bulbs in my 98, but of course they don't work in my 2001. All the ads Im seeing are for the #194 style bulb used in the earlier dash.

http://www.superbrightleds, just search for type 74 in automotive.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

tony.mon wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:Anyone selling the LEd replacement bulbs for the later year dash?

http://www.superbrightleds, just search for type 74 in automotive.
:thumbup:

Thanks right after i typed that post I was on Superbright site and ordered what i needed. Not sure why it did not come up the first time I did a google search by bike model and bulb type..... But once I pinned down the bulb type it was an easy find.

Hoping it helps with speedo visibility at night.... I have to really focus on the 2001 dash to discern speed at night to any degree of accuracy. never had that issue with my 98, and even less so once i installed LED lights in the cluster...
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

E.Marquez wrote:
tony.mon wrote: http://www.superbrightleds, just search for type 74 in automotive.
:thumbup:

Thanks right after i typed that post I was on Superbright site and ordered what i needed. Not sure why it did not come up the first time I did a google search by bike model and bulb type..... ...
I sent them an email telling them they didn't need to hide from you any more, that it would all be alright in the end and that they could trust you; I could vouch for you. Then they ran a quick credit check, switched your account back to "trusted", and you can see them again.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.