What's opinions of the divy 9

General Biker Banter
Stu9

What's opinions of the divy 9

Post by Stu9 »

I got contacted from somebody offering me one for the vtr, they saw an old advert...

It's a 99 T all original and excellent cond, 17/8000mls, I always read they were boring/mundane but very reliable...I though about it as I'm in the throws if maybe getting a flat bar conversion for mine anyway. What I like about it is that it's a shaft, it's seemingly got more/less the same power but different in how it comes in.

I'm very tempted but I think I'd miss the low grunt of the vtr
agentpineapple

Re: What's opinions of the divy 9

Post by agentpineapple »

Stu9 wrote:I got contacted from somebody offering me one for the vtr, they saw an old advert...

It's a 99 T all original and excellent cond, 17/8000mls, I always read they were boring/mundane but very reliable...I though about it as I'm in the throws if maybe getting a flat bar conversion for mine anyway. What I like about it is that it's a shaft, it's seemingly got more/less the same power but different in how it comes in.

I'm very tempted but I think I'd miss the low grunt of the vtr
I rode an old 6 once, completely different bike of course, but I do remember it being extremely comfy compared to the storm and very easy to ride, ideal commuter bike.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I know, it'll be totally different to mine, probably be more like a bandit 12 but not as wild.....more a dayglo derek type bike.....who remembers him!

I've only had one shafty before and was the mid 80s....650 Kat but i do like the idea of them
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i have the 6 i use as a workhorse. the bigger ones are also bombproof, they go ok and are super comfy and as you say the shaft is great.

but.

they aint no sports bike even compared to a storm.. great bike overall that wont let you down but as a main bike. you will want something a bit more exciting in a few months..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Stu9 wrote:I know, it'll be totally different to mine, probably be more like a bandit 12 but not as wild.....more a dayglo derek type bike.....who remembers him!

I've only had one shafty before and was the mid 80s....650 Kat but i do like the idea of them
stu it won't be like a 1200 Bandit, it will be like a divvy, honestly you will regret it, at the worst sell storm and buy a Bandit or hornet.

Divvy's were dull and boring in the 90's they are dull and boring now.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I MOT'd one today.

I had one years ago it was a good bike, I used it for 6 months on a despatch contract that had about 30 miles of motorway every day, it was ideal for it, quite quick with plenty of torque, It was a heavy bike though and when that contract finished I traded it for something smaller as I was mainly in London then.

a good reliable bike that goes on and on. Original collector box rots away but stainless mid pipes are available, fuel gauges can pack up, after that not a lot else goes wrong.

If you want a cheap and very reliable tourer they're very good for it, mine had skidmarx fairing lower and a gen Yam touring screen.

There's no comparison to the 600 Divvie except the name

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

I had one a few years back...totaly reliable , heavy, and boring compared to my 1200 Bandit , it was more comfy though and gave better mpg , as has already been said ..a strong workhorse but no sports bike by any stretch !
+1 for the convenience of the shaft drive though especially when running it through the winter! :thumbup:
stuffedit

Post by stuffedit »

If you have to do it I would say sell the Firestorm and then buy a divvie, think you would be better off than swapping.
My bike wants a new home
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

Mmmmmmmm.....you're all really making me have second thoughts now, probably no wonder the guy's chapping at the bit wanting to swap after I said maybe but would need to see and ride his first. I'll probably be glad to get back on mine and bugger off if that's the case :lol:

Like you all say, they're probably very good at being boring no frills bike much the same as Honda's deuville or dullville as they're known :lol:
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

:p I wouldnt swap for one. They are really quite heavy however they feel very nimble once your moving. Plenty of low down grunt but nothing exciting. Super comfy, you can ride for hours and will happily do over 160,000 miles on a single oil change a year. Upgrade the calipers though. Oh and they are ugly as sin..
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Have a bit of class and keep the Storm.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

divvy to cover miles.

storm to have fun on..

:thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

I'd like both.....maybe I'll look for another bandit 12
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

To be fair what people say about them is spot on, bullet proof, reliable and cheap.

But to swop for a storm is tad one sided, if I had one in good condition with low miles I wouldn't want to look at your storm I would deliver the divvy gift wrapped with a big smile on my face and ride off on the storm with a bigger grin, knowing I got the deal of the century.

Your going to swap it ride it and think, yeah I know its not good but I have a cheap reliable bike, then later on your going to think " sh t I really regret this ", and your be kicking yourself.

I swapped my storm for a mint blade with low miles mate, so take that into account, you can get a lot better deal waiting for something else to come up.
Stu9

Post by Stu9 »

You're probably right....i'd have another blade without a doubt but it's as racy if not worse than this