Dropping Forks through a little ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

Yup...get the front wheel raised off the ground... then i just loosend the top and bottom clamps (left the clip ons fixed on top of fork to use as reference) then slid the forks up until i could get a 5mm allen key between bottom of clip ons and top yoke....re tightend all clamps...removed allen key and dropped the clip ons back down onto top yoke...easy stuff...15 minutes later...one quicker steering storm :D

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek
Vstormer

Dropping forks

Post by Vstormer »

thetyrant,
As good as done tonight as soon as I get home.
:twisted: Many thanks,

Dylan
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

God :!: :!: ,I cant wait untill the weekend then I can do mine :P :twisted: .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

Only one thing to say MAGIC!!! 8O :mrgreen:

15T sprock -5mm forks= completely new bike :D
Teamslug

15 Tooth cog

Post by Teamslug »

Vstormer if you have only just put the front cog on how much does it affect the speedo :?: does it send it way out :?: and how much do you reckon you have lost top speed wise, i know its not often you get flat out but i would still like to know.
Cheers :wink:
Fluffy

Its all baldrocks :-)

Post by Fluffy »

I just had my fork tune done by Roger at Revolution Racing, the best £200 that I have ever spent.....Period.....full stop.

Mine now steers, holds a perfect line, changes direction with a tiny nudge on the bars and floats over bumps. It really is THAT GOOD now.

Guys, before you spend money on cans etc that may give you an extra couple of ponies, think how your gonna use them if the suspension is poo :-)

Get the suspension sorted first and Roger Ditchfield is honestly the best man for the job. (Any man with the Direct Dial number for the president of HRC on his wall and kicks about with Wayne Gardner is ok with me LOL)

For my money I got the forks revalved to suit me, new springs, oil etc, set up to perfection, fitted back into the bike, sag set up front and rear and then my WP rear shock dialed in with the front end, free tea and access to a man who's knowledge of bikes, vtr's especially is beyond reproach.

If it seems like I am going on a bit, its because the transformation is that good, over the cat and fiddle on the way home I was riding corners 5 - 10mph + faster than normal.

Putting in spacers, dropping the forks through the yolks are all good idea's (after all I was running a 6mm Spacer and had the yolks dropped through 5mm) but ultmately, your polishing a turd :-)

Sermon over folks....sorry to go on..... give Roger a ring

Regards

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

All very well if you have the spons to burn :!: :!: ,and as I dont I will settle for the 5mm drop :P ,cheers :twisted: .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Tony, you is also polishing ya turd, guess that means you go round the corners at 15mph now, and that's the long sweepers. 8O

Got your mail too and it's probably do-able, have a few other jobs on the cards first to get done.

Del.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Bloody right! Get at the back of the queue Tony!! :lol: :lol:
Fluffy

Arf Arf Delboy

Post by Fluffy »

Corners are those things you go round m8, Seem to remember you being the mono king in germany but your well sorted storm having to play catch up to a 78bhp Buell on the Mountain twisties old boy.......

And whats all this baldrocks about putting your Storm in the tent at night at the isle of man...

Your a wench young man :-)

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
Fluffy

Dont need the jobs Delboy

Post by Fluffy »

Got my Father In Laws double garage over winter now m8, Will give me space if the kids give me the time to get the engine out and the frame and swinger up to Triple S for powder coating. Will get rid of the flakey old paint off the lump then and paint it up with some black VHT paint.

Its handy because its heated and has a compressor in there and a full on industrial degreasing vat which he borrowed when he left RAF Burtonwood.

Should be ok when its done, finished my radiator covers btw out of carbon sheet and some b&q gold mesh.

That said, if business is going well I have got my eye on an 04 Mille, so if I pay meself a big bonus at Christmas I might just flog the storm or break it and stick it on ebay :-)

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

That's nice, spend all night clearing room for your VTR in me garage, ummmmmm.

Del
Fluffy

It was not until Winter...

Post by Fluffy »

Anyway delboy, you need a bigger garage m8 anyway, with the VTX and Wayne :-)

Cheers m8

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
Teamslug

Touch down

Post by Teamslug »

Just been to the Manx Grand Prix and before i went i put on a Moriwaki belly pan, earlier in this thread there are warnings about pulling the forks through to much as things might start touching down, ive got 15mm showing at the top and i have never had a problem with anything touching town until now the belly pan has touched down on the right side, i know you ride harder/faster on the island as ya cant get nicked for speeding in the unrestricted bits and the plod are a lot more friendly to bikers so i was realy ringing its neck flat oot just about every time i got on it, has anyone else had problems with belly pans footpegs etc touching down :?: if ya have how much have you all pulled the fork legs through :?: was thinking of having 10mm of fork leg showing or leaving it to see if i have the same probs at home, its a bit worrying as the next thing to touch would be the exhaust header 8O
let me know what ya think lads :wink:
thetyrant

Post by thetyrant »

After a Revolution Fork tune ..of which part of it is dropping the forks 5mm through.... the front of my bike now steers superbly :), only thing i have touched down is the footpegs and that was more to do with the bumps mid corner 8O.

Somebody said on here that Roger@Revolution is against fork dropping....hmm part of the tune is the 5mm drop through and he reckons even if the forks arent being done, dropping the forks 5mm is a mod thats a must. Max drop he recommends for road use is 7mm and even thats extreme for the road!

Cheers

Ian
Cumbria - It may be quiet but it has some of the best roads in the world :-)

98 VTR1000 Firestorm in Yellow - Micron Race carbon cans, Ohlins shock, Revolution Fork upgrade.....
94 Mitsubishi Evo2 - 2.3stroker @ 1.8 bar, 400bhp & 420 Ft/lbs..eeek