Carbs won't Balance

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

Carbs won't Balance

Post by tattoo »

Up until last night the bike has run fine but on my way home i went to overtake a car and it started to hesitate.I have just serviced it,new plugs,oil,cleaned the k&n and as it has been stood for a while i also changed the water..So this morning i thought i would Balance the carbs.
Got it nice and warm then took the tank off and spun it round,took the airbox off so i could get to the screw and fitted the balance gauges then started it...The gauges read miles out so i started to adjust...screw in...nothing happened,screw all the way back and nothing happened...no matter what i did with the adjuster screw the needles on the gauges didn't move...Must be my gauges i thought,so round the neighbours i go and borrow his gauges,connect them up,start the bike and started to adjust again...still no movement with the screw all the way in and all the way out...Now both gauges cannot be faulty and read the same so am i missing something?...what could stop the adjuster adjusting and the carbs from balancing?

i also replaced the vacuum pipes earlier and also the fuel lines too

any help is much appreciated
lloydie

Re: Carbs won't Balance

Post by lloydie »

Do the gauges move ?
Are the carbs seated correctly ?
I always balance the carbs with the air box fitted .
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

What are you adjusting, I balance my carbs without taking anything off I have a particular screwdriver that fits the small gap to the balancer screw.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Hi lloydie..yes the gauges move..set them up as I always have..used the damper valve to steady the needles.i'll try n post a pick of readings when I get 5mins
I checked that carbs are seated right and tight but I'm gunna pull them off tomorrow now as we between houses at the moment and the one we renting has the smallest garden,if you can call it a garden at 12ftx10ft...and cannot really work on the bike right, luckily the neighbour 2 doors down is letting use his garden tomorrow

Tbh if I remember right, the last time I balanced them I too did it with the airbox still fitted but thought I'd do it as per the writeup on here.I'm just abit baffled as to why nothing is happening when I adjust the sync screw either way
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

I got a little 5mm brass fitting which screes into the front cylinder and then you put a T piece on the rear one 2 pieces of vacuum pipe an you can so called do them without removing anything, I have a spare brass fitting as I had to buy 5 if you want one PM me your address
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

carmanbikes wrote:I got a little 5mm brass fitting which screes into the front cylinder and then you put a T piece on the rear one 2 pieces of vacuum pipe an you can so called do them without removing anything, I have a spare brass fitting as I had to buy 5 if you want one PM me your address
I did this when I had to pull the front head apart due to cct failure a couple of years back.

The only things that keeps coming to mind are either an air leak in carb rubbers or vac pipes or sticky valve or timing out some how...

Bazza...I'm using the sync screw pictured in the writeup.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Is the linkage corroded? I worked on a bike where the screw made no difference but then spotted that the two parts of the linkage that the screw should be able to move relative to each other were corroded together.
AMcQ
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Al everything looked good and clean at the time but that was only a quick once over..I'm pulling them off tomorrow so I can inspect them on the table...I'll also check the timing too as I remember reading about a chain fail that gave the same symtoms as unbalanced carbs before it snapped..belt n braces check never hurt.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMcQ is correct.
You can check easily by looking at the linkage, unscrew the adjuster, and see if the section that the adjuster end sits on moves- it won't on yours.

It will need to be freed off- wd40 won't do it.

You can push the "other tang" with a screwdriver to make it move, then you can see the balancer levels move. Ideally, you move it too far, then screw the adjuster in to get it to the right place.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Thankyou Oh knowledgable ones for the advice..the linkage will be the first thing I look at tomorrow...I want it to be right incase they stop me riding next week and I'm forced to let her go