possible bike change

General Bike chat
Stephan

Re: possible bike change

Post by Stephan »

agentpineapple wrote:as far as money is concerned, between 4000 and 5000. I know I will miss the character of the vtr. but needs must.
here's my short list
k1200s
k1200gt
vfr1200
triumph sprint
zzr1400
blackbird
What about KTM990SMT? It is not really stronger, but far away better then vtr in all aspects. Character is there too.

redpig

Post by redpig »

I agree, whatever you end up with as long as you stick with honda you will be ok
ook
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Personally i would go for a Blackbird.You would get all you're looking for in a bike, plus Honda reliabity.
He could buy mine !!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

popkat wrote:if your not looking to spend too much then a Gen1 Fazer thousand, 200 mile tank range, all day comfy seat, upright position. fit a race can and get the carbs Ivanised (there's a guy who lives in Spain does it and comes to the UK for fittings too), Nitron shock and some K tech fork springs. you'll have over 140hp at the wheel and surprisingly good handling.. A good Sub 20k mile bike approx. £2500-3000, mods approx £1k. Only down sides are Exup valve can stick, regular simple maintenance stop this (buy one with the valve working) Silver engine paint flakes on bikes ridden in the salt, other than that it all fits the bill..

If your spending more then here's a few options

Kwak ZZR1400 (must check valves at correct intervals they Will need doing and fiddly job)
Kwak Z1000SX
Triumph Tiger 1050
BMW R1200RS (the latest one)
Virt machine
Latest VFR800

Yam FZ1 Fazer (tank range not as good as early Fazer but handles and goes better out of the box)
BMW S1000XR

I've had 3 Fazer 1000,s all with Ivans jet kits and there superb, my last one had 44,000 miles on when we changed it, they are very quick, comfy, and handle reasonably well apart from on track days my centre stand dug in showering others with sparks. Brakes are great too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Dendrob wrote:Problem in a situation like this is that if you were to buy a bike based on avoiding ones which are known to go wrong you'd probably never leave the house!
Hey i agree with you, 1st time for everything eh! :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Stephan wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:as far as money is concerned, between 4000 and 5000. I know I will miss the character of the vtr. but needs must.
here's my short list
k1200s
k1200gt
vfr1200
triumph sprint
zzr1400
blackbird
What about KTM990SMT? It is not really stronger, but far away better then vtr in all aspects. Character is there too.

Love the 990 SMT. I wish they had made the 1290 a carbon copy of it (prefer its look to new GT)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The French have GL1800 Goldwing motorcycle taxis that fit the bill...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

my other issue is my heft hahahaha, most modern bikes you sit on, I like a bike that I sit in, the storms great for that, and so is the blackbird for that matter, I rode ck's bird in spain, it was nice, but oh so bland, zero character. but I have no doubt it will do everything I ask of it.
i'm going to do some reading up on the bmw1200.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

bigtwinthing wrote:
Dendrob wrote:Problem in a situation like this is that if you were to buy a bike based on avoiding ones which are known to go wrong you'd probably never leave the house!
Yip. What's going on!

:lol: :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Dendrob wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:
Yip. What's going on!

:lol: :thumbup:

when i read most of your threads i have to hide my gun for fear of blowing my head off halfway through. :mrgreen:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the more I read up about the K1300s the more I like it, 175bhp, either white or orange with lots of carbon fibre....... :erection:
traction control
quick shifter
abs
electronic suspension
it's quite a list. of course that also means there's lots to go wrong. plus the cost of servicing, spares and so on.
but by next spring prices might well be around the 5k mark.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

agentpineapple wrote:the more I read up about the K1300s the more I like it, 175bhp, either white or orange with lots of carbon fibre....... :erection:
traction control
quick shifter
abs
electronic suspension
it's quite a list. of course that also means there's lots to go wrong. plus the cost of servicing, spares and so on.
but by next spring prices might well be around the 5k mark.... :thumbup:

i rode a K1300r today the naked one, wow they are bloody quick, they feel long and hold a turn a treat, bit harder to turn that the CB, but deceptively quick. I did hear a horror story of a Control unit going (3k) and the Brakes control unit being £1900. The pillion was a tad high on the pegs. SO dam keeping the CB and will get us a Pan next year at Bonus time.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you hear horror stories for most bikes, modern cars are far worse, I have a friend who owns the largest independent vw/audi/seat/skoda garage in southeast England, and he told me how bad modern cars are, great for his business tho.
I've got time to make my decision. I need to do my homework. I've got a mate whose massively into kwacka's, he said I should try a zx12r. poor fuel economy tho, but seen as unleaded is 70p a litre atm, fuel economy isn't that high on the list.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I'm getting over 50 mpg and have a little over 140 ponies to play with. Play your cards right and you might get offered a test ride ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Forgot to add. Pretty good handling( can be improved with a good shock). Very comfy and 190 to a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal