what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by bigtwinthing »

Cadbury64 wrote:Antifreeze is usually ethylene glycol or in some case propylene glycol. The presence of the glycol does two important things, it reduces the freezing point of the coolant (at 50:50 to -36C), but it also increases the boiling point (at 50:50 to 107C). Antifreeze also includes corrosion inhibitors (phosphates, silicates or borates) and coloured dye.

The heat transfer effectiveness of a liquid is related to it's specific heat, the amount of energy required to raise one gram by one degree C. Water has a higher specific heat than glycol, so pure water is a better coolant, but for the prevention of corrosion antifreeze should be used, and that also means the cooling system can function over a much wider temperature range.

In the short term running water with a splash of antifreeze would be fine, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a proper 50:50 mix in there in the long term. The density of 50:50 water:ethylene glycol would be around 1.07 g/mL at 20C.

yes thats what i was gonna say :lol: + it looks nicer in the pot with a colour in it. Pressurising the system also raises the boiling point.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well whoopie I actually have something to post not related to glycol. :D
I tried to swap in my 1000rr rim and realized it would either take a drill and a prayer or some welding. I am opting for welding the chain ajusters from the RR in. It's a sweet swing arm but I have a whole spare engine now plus a swing arm. Maybe Ill keep collecting parts until I have a race bike. I probably wont race much as a lot of people get killed doing it. It just seems like I read about more bad bike crashes than auto sport.

I did however use my erm.... Bed and every screwdriver in the house to pry the tire off. I did scratch the paint just a little on the lip but I don't care as I plan on polishing the rim and anodizing it.
Yes I really used a bed as a bead breaker.

Chipped or noticed a chipped off tooth on my sprocket. I really want to change rims in the next month. I may even run the tire off the bike again tonight and change it in the morning but I dunno if my wife will knowingly let me use the bed for my er... hobby.

Chain is tight. I noticed an instant improvement in driveability. Bike was getting jerky now its about half of what it was.
carbs are still a mess as I was perocupied with my student. She did not get her school work at all. (Quite frankly neither did I. Why does a six year old need to know CD's cellphone video games computer...) She also had the tv on which we dont have in class so it didnt help my time any. That kid is one of very few things that come before the vtr. But we got all caught up and I went for a quick ride. Snow is falling just a tad.

I noticed the bike does not go off to one side or the other anymore when I nail it although I did have the handlebars try to shake loose when I nailed it from low rpm. Dunno if the tire is on straighter or the lack of chain slack but she felt better.
One last note on a long post. I may just make an axle spacer for the vtr axle and call it a day. It should all bolt up in that case.
EDIT: I just had to check out the new engine. Pictures in the morning. Its got compression says 01 on the sticker I can put oil in it and fire it up if I pull the harness off my bike. Checked the swinger on it. I am now in the market for a cbr1000rr rear shock. :D
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Received another delivery of parts for the renovation of the VTR.

Full set of 11 upgraded hoses:

Imagefree jpeg images

All stainless fixings for the above hoses

Image20mb image hosting
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Finally got the KTM sorted for the winter and clear now to start on the Storm. Bash plate refitted and el cheapo muffs. https://www.rydestore.com/ryde-fleece-l ... loves.html. They were cheap but after unpicking some stitches and burning a few holes, plus the stylish fitment of some cable ties they work really well.

Did a quick 40 mile test. Toasty warm hands, no white finger. Way to go!

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

good news, i love the heated grips and have them initially on full them just 20% after my hands are warm. great bits of kit.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well this isnt just about the storm but a peek into Rob's life. I fired her up and rode down to the bike shop. The head shop guy is always there. He was impressed to see I got the LED's back on, Tire on and the engine in a decent state of tune. He also put the clutch diaphragm rubber back the way its supposed to be. Stupid me had it sticking out like a horse D**k. He also gave me something. I forgot now Maybe a washer or a screw. Something. But I kind of forgot for a moment because he gave me something really nice. He just bought a 1 year old WR 250 I believe. Holy crow that thing could get me arrested. Shifts like an expensive scooter. Handles like its on a rail stops on a dime. Throttle isn't touchy and gabby like the storm. Just real smooth. I only took it round the block but I told him I appreciate my license so I wont be getting one of those.

Now on to REDSTORMJ She got quite a bit done today. Above mentioned that she got her brake cap fixed. Tire pressure up to the rated PSI. Have not rode on it yet but I bet it feels good. A bath. Dried out her papers bag got a hole in it. Font cct retightened. Rear cct manualized. I was embarrased to tell you guys that after loosing two valves I was stupid enough to drive it 200 kilos with the rear cct still factory. By the way the rear was in good shape.
Fired it up just before bed and sounds much better but I am going to re check the timing up front in the morning.

Now on to my spare engine. I documented well the position of the cams in relation to each other. Took a video of how tight the cam chain is.
CARL!! You had me set my chain too bloody loose. You aught to have told me that you gotta really pull on them hard to get them to move. Snug ain't the word. In reality carl you did darn good on the guide but I feel the chain should be rather snug.

I tore off the heads methodically putting everything back where it came from for storage until my die grinder gets here. I also eyeballed that vaccum nipple. Its going on the storm. I almost put that engine in the bike as I am sure its in better condition.
So today was a good day.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

fired my bike up for the first time in a while, then rode it to my local petrol station, with my mate on his vtr, washed both bikes, and then watched the motogp race in the bar of the petrol station. before heading back home, only did 10 miles but it still put a smile on my face... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

CARL!! You had me set my chain too bloody loose. You aught to have told me that you gotta really pull on them hard to get them to move. Snug ain't the word. In reality carl you did darn good on the guide but I feel the chain should be rather snug.
Snug as a rug...is that better :lol: Better to be on the loose side than tight. Too many folk have overtightened and end up with increased wear n tear. Anyway back to the snug... a picture says a thousand words and that's why there is video footage too. At the end of the day 7mm is 7mm, it's down to you to measure it.

Now get out, ride and enjoy. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well carl I may have ruined a set of heads. I dont know. Because I should have watched the video again. Bike runs amazing at cruising but cuts below 1000. I am going to try to back it off. Yet again in the rain in a parking lot... Every time this bike fails its in the rain. I dont want to risk burning it up riding it over tight so I will back off half a turn more. That's one turn out from snug. I couldn't measure and rushed the bike back to make a meeting. Too many variables as the pepcock wasn't on all the way and I kept adjusting the carbs..... Ill try to back it off a bit and pay. I had the engine stall at temp. Only happens clutch in but it started hard and wont idle at temp.

EDIT: I loosened them right after this message. But the bike has slowly developed a noise. Like no oil on a door hinge. Or like the water pump ran dry. I checked the rad. IT's full. I have a bad feeling that tomorrow morning when I open her up that the cam is going to be toast.
IF it wasnt on the bike it would sound like wind howling. IT is only truly audible on cranking. Me thinks something is rubbing.
I just would not think its the cam because the sliders would go first. Also the chain was not nuts tight but blindly tightened to apes recommendation. snug then off half a turn. I am now out 1.5 turns on each cam.
Worst part is it was running the best it ever had even after it quit on me and I had to keep the revs up all the way to my job. I dunno man. I dont like timing chains one bit. Ill be dead if I put that spare in the bike without doing the pistons ports valves and a full balance job. I dont know why honda didnt use a tensioner that used a forward moving spring...
Also if I did this wong and ruined my heads sorry carl. I was sure I had it all sorted. The bike was running bad with the looser chains...
EDIT: UPDATE
:oops: Wheew. I got lucky as hell. Somehow. and I bet I know how that somehow happened. The chain got wayyyyyyyyy tighter than intended. Miced it to 5mm of hard play. Engine is back to 100% normal. Carl I am sorry brother. But also Id appreciate if you detailed the play a bit more with how hard you have to pull that chain for it to get 5-7mm. I for sure was too loose at first. Not that it killed anything more than a tank of fuel. :biggrin
Last edited by RedStormJ on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I dont know. Because I should have watched the video again. Bike runs amazing at cruising but cuts below 1000. I am going to try to back it off. Yet again in the rain in a parking lot... Every time this bike fails its in the rain.
There's a clue here in the Rain. Do the timing according to the instructions and forget about it. Now as for the rain and cutting out goes...you do know that there is a drain hole on the front head right?

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... drain+hole
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not quite fair blaming Carl for your error of judgement when you decided to against advice and overtighten the tensioner.
RedStormJ wrote: I feel the chain should be rather snug.
Besides Carl prefaced the MCCT installation guide with:
Disclaimer
Every effort has been made to ensure that this guide is as accurate as possible, by following this guide you will doing so at your own risk. If you feel that you do not have the capabilities for the job then please seek the help of a professional mechanic. In no event will this forum or myself be held liable for any damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential damage that may possibly occur.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Oh I was more busting his chops not blaming him. When it was loose. Too tight is my own damn fault. too loose was too just an error in judgment.
By the way Carl I only have thank you. If you look at the above post his advice plus another member crux on another forum saved my bike.

Now on to a serious note. as said above Carl I ask you please make a video of you pulling the chain to check the play on the engine at some point. I am not confident enough to show other people how its done. your guide is the best out there. Someones you tube video is actually why I set my timing wayyyy too tight.

In all honesty I owe still having the storm to Carl because I have had multiple small failures on this bike and every time I have gotten it fixed because of his posts.

My bike is finally at 100% engine wise and I owe it not just to carl but he was the biggest help. But the whole forum.

By the way. It wasnt raining when it cut just when I was balls deep in some VTR poontang loosening the CCT's which saved the chain guides.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm thick skinned so can take some criticism and know that the thread has saved many storms from doom so all is good. If one has confidence in themselves then nothing can break past that. :wink: and there is the disclaimer to cover myself hence the reason for adding that. Surprisingly the thread has even been plagiarised. 8O
Now on to a serious note. as said above Carl I ask you please make a video of you pulling the chain to check the play on the engine at some point.
Errr, Already done. That was my point. Can you not see the video's in the thread. Youtube embedded vids as well as direct links. I can't do anymore than that and if there is an issue with you viewing them them that is down to you and your browser. It's out of my hands.

Thanks for the support @wicky but you know as well as I know that all is good with the thread so I have no issue with it. Let the flaming begin as I just rollover laughing through my thick skin. :beer:

If there are any genuine discrepancies or something that can make is easier for folk to follow then I will more than willingly alter things but for now it remains as it is. It's as simple and straight forward as it gets.
Last edited by VTRDark on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

Carl,
I wanted to say your MCCT guide is the best out there. I love it, because it has pictures and videos. I have used your guide on two of my engines and personally about six members Superhawks in the USA. I just wanted to say thank you for spending the time to make the guide. I have posted it more times than I can remember as a guide for new guys. Thank you.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well carl many thanks. Enjoy the beer. Wish I could buy you a pint.

I think its my browser because I actually have seen videos on your guide sometimes.... The first two times I read it there were only photos.... So its my own computer....
Also Just another note. She is singing her sweet song. Crux told me to set them and leave em thats what im doing. Gonna take a while to get used to the new note.

Also a disclamer to anyone rebuilding: The bike sounded amazing with the chains too tight until the oil film got pushed away from the guide. If I had JUST FOLLOWED THE GUIDE and left my cct's where they were Id never had my parking lot fiasco. Nothing like stalling out behind a cop....

my bike has done 50 miles since the fix and zero issues.