General Biker Banter
MacV2

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote:
Eh do I still call you Carl?
Call me whatever you want I have been called many names. :biggrin
Git Face...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

saint gaz wrote:Not been on here for a while, but today I had a nice new shinny set of cans fitted. max torque cans, sounds awesome :Gun4:
i like there cans, i had a pair of Tri Ovals and they were sweet.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Been getting friendly with riding on the back wheel. Not wheelies either but hammer down over uneven terrain. Me thinks some day Id like to do the Isle of mann. Not on the vtr or this one at least. :D

I really been liking this Michelin. cant wait to swap to the CBR rim. I honestly been staying out of the garage due to the wet damp air.
podman

Post by podman »

A bikes a bike, right?!

Rebuilt this, purchased a couple months , took some time to get the metal work up to near half decent standard and had the frame/seat professionally repainted and restored as they where in shocking condition.got a few jobs and parts to do/obtain.Same as my first one circa back in the late 70s.

[url]Image

[url]Image
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That brings back some memories seeing that Chopper bicycle 8)
Not something you see everyday now, good job, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I had the red one and used to ride it 2 up and off road :lol: Think it went to the scrap van after 12 yrs of being stored up in the roof of the cowshed on the farm 8O
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

me and my brother both had choppers, we used to play a game called cut ups, where you had to ride across the front of each other knocking the front wheel out of line and hence knnocking the other person off their bike, it was great fun, also 2nd gear would slip and you could bash your knee's and ankles.....pmsl
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That looks nice mate. Are the gears missing or is it just the shifter? Should that model have the T shift or the knob?
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Kev L wrote:That looks nice mate. Are the gears missing or is it just the shifter? Should that model have the T shift or the knob?

i bet yours always had a knob on Kev, :lol: they handled crap at speed. I grew up on Portland and we always tried to overtake the bus going from Tophill to Underhill, ( don't take the rip thats, what it was called :lol: ) they were crap and wobbled, however they were better than earlier stuff, that was a Book across a roller skate, Remember that Kev!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I never went for the Chopper, always had racing style bike. I always felt too tall for the chopper. Does anyone remember the Winfield (Woolworths) rip off of the chopper? Think it was called a Hawk.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Kev L wrote:I never went for the Chopper, always had racing style bike. I always felt too tall for the chopper. Does anyone remember the Winfield (Woolworths) rip off of the chopper? Think it was called a Hawk.

ha ha i remember special too, drop bars and something from there, i had an Eddy Merck special thing with 10 speeds on the down tube, gears weren't so easy to select then eh Kev.

They did a small chopper too. Who also cut the forks off an old bike and welding to the existing forks to make a long front set of forks like the chopper in that famous film with Dennis Hopper. and a card on the back wheel... ah happy days.
podman

Post by podman »

agentpineapple wrote:me and my brother both had choppers, we used to play a game called cut ups, where you had to ride across the front of each other knocking the front wheel out of line and hence knnocking the other person off their bike, it was great fun, also 2nd gear would slip and you could bash your knee's and ankles.....pmsl

Happy days!....and of course you could bash your bollox on the gearshifter, that and the fact you could easy carry a mate on the back(hence the warning on the seat...) and the fact the bike was generally unstable lead to Raleigh getting questioned over the bikes safety by Parliment!
podman

Post by podman »

Kev L wrote:That looks nice mate. Are the gears missing or is it just the shifter? Should that model have the T shift or the knob?
Thanks...No, not missing, whilst assembling it I noticed a problem with the wee orange gear indicator square you probably remember, just one of the little jobs I have to finish.
podman

Post by podman »

sirch345 wrote:That brings back some memories seeing that Chopper bicycle 8)
Not something you see everyday now, good job, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
Thanks Chris...The amazing thing is , since I bought it(after seeing it on display at a friends 1970s themed birthday party) ive discovered people are as passionate about these things as we are about our motorbikes.

I now know there are several Chopper events throughout the year, the biggest having thousands of people attending.

[url]Image

In 2015 some nutter even decided to follow the Tour De France route on one!

[url]Image

...this guy did part of it in 2014

Can you imagine how you'd feel if you was riding one of these roadbikes? :biggrin

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

was it a "Grifter" the smaller one! thats ringing some bells.