what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
TheGingerBeardMan

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

agentpineapple wrote:if your still interested in getting some, I will take some pictures of the can,
Awww that's a bugger. Dull black n not graphite then? Hmmm. I shall take a pass on de can photo then :wink:

And when you wrote ''if I'm still interestwed in getting some''....I though wooo, me lucks in, and he's found a nice Spanish lass for me....

But nope, it was relating to paint. :( :lol: Keep up the good work!
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
geeman22

Post by geeman22 »

Today I have stripped more parts of the completely knackered storm
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Today on Bloo...full strip & check of swingarm linkage, two new bearings, seals & thrust spacer in the main bit of the triangle...All the others were servicable so were treated to a splurge of Kluba...Swingarm itself was minging so that got a good scrubbing, triangle de rusted & painted as well.

Whilst it was all off, fitted new chain & sprokets & put a braided clutch hose on & bled up...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

Spent 3 hours making a start on de-salting all that crap off the bike. Degreased stuff. Scraped other bits. Wiped and rubbed. Thought I was gonna wear me fingertips down to the bone. Gave up after making a decent start, and was too sore from laying on me back, head completely under the bike (nose almost on the sump)), and getting in to all the nooks n' crannies.

It's amazing how much crud I had to DIG OUT from under the sump - those fins were level with road salt, and the deep recess / dent under the sump was almost filled flush with baked on stuff - I had to go at it with a screwdriver to get it loose. :(

But, it's looking half presentable again. If I don't use it for a while so I can get properly on top of it again, I'll be a happy bunny. But, sods law, I'll have to go somewhere, or will need something that's not within the town, and it'll have to come back out of the lock up, and the whole shitty de-crudding process starts again. Even riding the bike (not even a mile) is sooo disheartening when you get off, and see all yer hard work gone in literally a few hundred yards.

The fun n' games will hopefully continue tomorrow, as the sun's meant to be forecast for an appearance till the end of the week.... :thumbup:

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

spent 3 hours buffing and cleaning two sets of storm down pipes :o . i need to get out more..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
TheGingerBeardMan

fabiostar wrote:spent 3 hours buffing and cleaning two sets of storm down pipes
How did you do them? By hand with a wrapped cloth and Autosol (using the push-pull method), or didja do them by power tool thingy and a mop?

Here's the push pull method....

[youtube][/youtube]

Post up some piccies so I can drool over them.... :thumbup:

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

il get sum pics. i used both methods. both sets had just got grubby. they aint super shiny ,more a kinda matt type shine on them..
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

this evening I did a bit more on my mates bike, sprayed two coats of gloss black on the rear wheel, just got to add a couple of coats of clear to the front and rear. I then set about cleaning the sprocket carrier and sprocket, what a mess, dam the chain lube device, whilst I was at it, I removed and cleaned behind the front sprocket cover, you guessed it, loads more muck, even using petrol to clean it, it took some time, I then cleaned the chain, again using petrol.
finished by cleaning the rear spindle, nut and washer.
there's two more jobs I want to tackle, first will be removing and cleaning the rear caliper, and lastly will be to clean the headers the best I can without removing them, as I really don't believe they can be removed without the studs snapping.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

agentpineapple wrote:...lastly will be to clean the headers the best I can without removing them, as I really don't believe they can be removed without the studs snapping.
That's my thoughts as well. Polish by hand for now. I'd love to take the headers off and get the polishing mops on to get a proper shiny job, and then keep up after with the odd hand polish. But, like you suggest, I am terrifed at even attempting to remove the headers, in case the front studs snap - especially the front one. If it was blowing or needing an exhaust gasket, then fair dos, I'd have to remove them. But, all is good, tight, and gas-escape free, so they're getting left alone.

I do soak them with ACF50 almost everytime I am under the bike to clean it - with the thought that maybe...just maybe...it's been working into the threads and they may be ok should I put a spanner on 'em. But I'm not taking that chance!

:thumbup: :Beer1:

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:...lastly will be to clean the headers the best I can without removing them, as I really don't believe they can be removed without the studs snapping.
That's my thoughts as well. Polish by hand for now. I'd love to take the headers off and get the polishing mops on to get a proper shiny job, and then keep up after with the odd hand polish. But, like you suggest, I am terrifed at even attempting to remove the headers, in case the front studs snap - especially the front one. If it was blowing or needing an exhaust gasket, then fair dos, I'd have to remove them. But, all is good, tight, and gas-escape free, so they're getting left alone.

I do soak them with ACF50 almost everytime I am under the bike to clean it - with the thought that maybe...just maybe...it's been working into the threads and they may be ok should I put a spanner on 'em. But I'm not taking that chance!

:thumbup: :Beer1:
Get a nut splitter on them and replace the nuts and use a good quality high temp anti-sieze on cleaned up studs. I have a tube of lead based stuff that works well. Then every so often (6 months?) loosen the nuts and apply more anti-sieze.

Works for me.

I do the same with the starter nut but I use red rubber grease.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

seen as the studs in question are not on my bike, i'm leaving them well alone, tbh if it was my bike, i'd do as you suggested, but I know the nut's.studs on my bike are fine.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Today I took the manky forks off the bike to spruce them up. They'll be serviced on Monday.

The ABBA stand and headstock stand Mac LOANED me worked a treat. Although it does seem like a sensitive stand at the front. That being said it's been on it for 6 hours and counting so should be good until tomorrow

I basically used a wire attachment on the drill to take them down to bare metal.

They both looked like the one on the left so even this was an improvement

Next I used some wire wool and coca cola on the stanchions. To be honest the pitting didn't go away but it cleaned off the excess. I'm sure the forks have been dropped by some eejit in the past... Several times.

It took a couple of hours to get them to this point. I then used some 180 sandpaper to smooth them down a bit (that's all b and q had)

Then it was onto my trusty friend smooth black hammerite. I want the forks black. Gave them a coat then left them for an hour or so before applying 5 coats, one every 20 minutes or so as it was a bit moist outside.

They've turned out ok. I'm happy with them. There's a couple of bolts for them in the boltbase kit I got too.

Just hope the bike survives until this paint is fully dry!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
fabiostar wrote:spent 3 hours buffing and cleaning two sets of storm down pipes
How did you do them? By hand with a wrapped cloth and Autosol (using the push-pull method), or didja do them by power tool thingy and a mop?

Here's the push pull method....

[youtube][/youtube]

Post up some piccies so I can drool over them.... :thumbup:

heres them before the final autosol and cloth clean..

StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Good job young man
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
TheGingerBeardMan

fabiostar wrote:heres them before the final autosol and cloth clean...
Luverly. Yer patience has paid off. :thumbup: I'd again, love mine to get like that. If yer ever passing through this neck of the woods...remember to call round with yer mops n' pockets full of Autosol. I'll supply the beer n' biscuits...you supply the graft :lol: :lol:

-----------------------------------------
StormyRob wrote:my trusty friend smooth black hammerite.
Really? That's hammerite? I thought it had a ''hammered finish'', or didja mean smoothrite? I can't remember if you said or not, but is that sprayed or brushed? Either way, they look pretty darn good (and a nice contrast to the yellow). :clap: They almost have a satin finish to them. Good on yer, it's coming along nicely with the ABBA stand you were LOANED! :lol:

Love the fact that you are emphasizing the fact it was loaned everytime! It's ok, Mac will nae forget. :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

STERLING WORK both of you. :thumbup: