RamAir Filtres

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Re: RamAir Filtres

Post by freeridenick »

Fabio is not wrong. Larger main jet in the rear carb. I'd suggest you download the workshop manual and check that out. Also look for the carb tuning guide in the welcome section of this forum. That will answer loads of your questions and give you a strategy for sorting your fueling.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree with Rob (Fabiostar) and Nick (Freeridenick) on the main jets, see below:

Taken from the Honda Shop manual
Fuel System VTR..jpg
Chris.
Azer

Post by Azer »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:23 pm I agree with Rob (Fabiostar) and Nick (Freeridenick) on the main jets, see below:

Fuel System VTR..jpg

Chris.
Invaluable stuff, thank you.
freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:51 pm Fabio is not wrong. Larger main jet in the rear carb. I'd suggest you download the workshop manual and check that out. Also look for the carb tuning guide in the welcome section of this forum. That will answer loads of your questions and give you a strategy for sorting your fueling.
Shall do, ta.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Also dont mix up parts from the front to rear carbs as some parts are slightly different :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Azer

Post by Azer »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:31 pm Also dont mix up parts from the front to rear carbs as some parts are slightly different :thumbup:
:thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Azer wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:53 am
sirch345 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:23 pm I agree with Rob (Fabiostar) and Nick (Freeridenick) on the main jets, see below:

Fuel System VTR..jpg

Chris.
Invaluable stuff, thank you.
You can download a Honda Manual from this link:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18025

Chris.
Azer

Post by Azer »

Right, so.
Not really having the time change the carb. jets over. Plus knowing that the bike fires up and idles nicly with the front and rear jets reversed.
I thought I'd go for a little run last night, just around the city and onto a minor A road.
Everything seemed really nice.
Smooth.
Pulled really well in all gears from all R.P.Ms.
No stuttering around 4K.
No trouble starting from cold. Smooth comfortable idle ~1500R.P.M. though with some fluctuation once up to temp.

Then, all of a sudden. Clonk. Engine stopped with clutch pulled in.
Coasted to the lights up ahead. Sorted through the gears. Fired up instantly.
Hmmm. Thats odd.

Will change the jets over either this weekend or during the week, then repeat the test.
Both cylinders appeared to be burning cleanly, noting at all to suggest a problem.
When I got back home, I gave it a quick blast of the throttle out of gear. Whilst I watched the exhausts.
A considerable plume of brown-black smoke gushed out before returning to the normal clean burn you'd expect at any given R.P.M. below redline.
Odd. But then I do have (apparently) the wrong jets in.
I'll have another read of the fuel mixture screw adjustment notes...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm not saying you don't want to reverse those jets, but could the clunk just have been a spit-back through the carb(s)?

Chris.
Azer

Post by Azer »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:01 pm I'm not saying you don't want to reverse those jets, but could the clunk just have been a spit-back through the carb(s)?

Chris.
Possibly, but how to remedy?
Can it really be as simple as reversing the jets to the correct positions?
Seems an odd thing to happen. Never had it before.
Ta.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

you could have just had a carb fart as this is common to VTRs. mine does it every so often and always has :thumbup: . try changing the jets over and see how it goes and a carefull carb balance and idle set at 1200 rom and see how it runs then... the devil is in the detail with these huge carbs.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Rob (Fabiostar) says, and set the TPS (throttle position sensor) around 570 Ohms. If it's still on the factory settings it will most likely be up around 800/900 Ohms,

Chris.