2003 exhaust

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
honda taff

2003 exhaust

Post by honda taff »

hi
can anyone help ,just bought 2003 firestorm which looked as if it is fitted with standard exhaust system ,on closer inspection the right hand exhaust silencer is slightly bigger diameter
part nos are
left hm mbb e1
right hm mbb e2

on the older models the right hand part no is the same as the left so does anyone now if they changed for this year,i cant see why the previous owner would have changed the exhaust as the rest of the bike is standard and what other bike the right hand would have come off as it is the right fit for the bike.
Thanks for any help
Wicky

Re: 2003 exhaust

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Standard VTR Left & Right exhausts are not interchangeable. Not much changed from early 97 to late 05.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

Post some pics of your storm beastie
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
honda taff

Post by honda taff »

thanks for reply
i cant figure out why the diameter of the pipes are different and which one if any is the right one ,the difference in diameter is nearly 20 mm
as you said the right and left are not interchangable but why the difference
cheers
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I've got mine apart at the mo - and I measured both exhausts exiting at the headers at approx 42mm diameter (ID), where l & t silencers and link pipes join / clamp on.

Again it could be handy to see some pics of your 'standard' exhaust system.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

There should not be an O.D. difference between the 2 mufflers, if that is what you are asking. :?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
honda taff

Post by honda taff »

thanks for replies
the exit diameters are the same its the main body of the silencers which are different cant work out why looked at picture and the only difference in the part nos are for left or right the other nos are the same my mate has lent me a pair of a 98 model and they are a matching pair apart from being left or right handed,and these are the same as the left hand pipe on mine the right one is exactly the same except being 20mm in dia different and having the no E2 on it , it must be meant for the bike as i cant think what other bike it would fit,so wondering if the 2003 model had the bigger diameter exhaust and he,s fitted the older one one the left at some stage due to damage?
cheers
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It might be a pipe off a different bike...

A serch with MBB e2 shows no results.

Gen part number should be something like...18300-MBB-003 (this is in fact p/n for R/H Storm muffler...)

See if you can find a compleat p/n on the can.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
honda taff

Post by honda taff »

Thanks for replies
im not going to worry about it to much as im going to change the cans it was puzzling me more than anything
any recommendations for a set of cans reasonably priced would be handy.
cheers
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

I appreciate it’s an old thread but as the Dude once said “I've got information man! New s**t has come to light!" :lol:

I’m having a clear up and was thinking about listing a NOS Firestorm RH exhaust tail pipe. I bought it from Lings Honda a couple of years ago as I thought it was the correct part for my 2003 Firestorm but the OD is too small as per the original thread. I have added some pictures /info below so that someone with a 2001 onwards bike doesn't make the same mistake as me.

Firestorm 2003 pipe stamped - HM MBB G2
Unknow year Firestorm pipe stamped - HM MBB E1

Measurement Differences:

HM MBB G2 - Length is 840mm and 128mm OD with an exit of 64mm
HM MBB E1 - Length is 810mm and 115mm OD with an exit of 64mm

Fowlers Parts – Firestorm RH Exhaust Model Year Variances:

Firestorm 1997 to 2000 = 18300 MBB 003
Firestorm 2001 to 2003 = 18300 MBB D41
Firestorm 2004 not listed but could be 18300 MBB G61 as this item was replaced in 2005
Firestorm 2005 to 2006 = 18300 MBB G62

My assumption is that HM MBB E1 is stamped on Firestorms 1997-2000, could someone who has original pipes fitted on one of those model years please check to see if my assumption is right?

Weird this is when I fitted the new pipe it didn't look short on the bike but the reduction in OD was very visible. Problem solved by fitting a moriwaki system :D

ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Adding the original Lings Order Slip added from the box the pipe came in...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's good to have the new information :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

My 1997 has the original pipes and both L and R have HM MBB E1 stamped on them. Apologies for upside down photo

VTR Silencer right way up.jpg
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

,,,,and just taken the airbox of the '05 bike to fix a cracked coolant reservoir and I see the same number that is stamped on the exhaust is also on the bottom part of the airbox:

Now I'm confused. :eh:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

RodneyT wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:52 am ,,,,and just taken the airbox of the '05 bike to fix a cracked coolant reservoir and I see the same number that is stamped on the exhaust is also on the bottom part of the airbox:

Now I'm confused. :eh:
Well spotted :clap:
I have never noticed that,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Those numbers are probably homologation numbers relating to that model's emissions or sound level certification.
If you look up the actual part number they will be different.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.