OEM Heated Grips - Fitting Help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ItsaKeeper

OEM Heated Grips - Fitting Help

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Hi - I have a set of OEM Honda heated grips for my 03 Firestorm and am looking for some advice to help me fit them. The Honda instructions that came are not fully clear and at some points refers you back to the read the Firestorm service manual. I can't find any reference in the main service manual or addendums about fitting Honda heated grips.

I understand how all the parts plug into the main harness but am not clear on the part where the sub-harness connects to a +/- power source.

The Honda instructions tell me to connect the sub-harness to the positive wire of the stop switch on the RH side and the negative wire of the LH side indicator. Do I have to cut wires / add new connectors to connect the sub-harnesses?

I have read a few threads on after market grips and where folks have connected them but have not found anything specifically on the Honda kit.

As ever I want to add that I am a bungling amateur but keen to learn how to correctly do stuff on my Firestorm :D

Cheers :beer:
tony.mon

Re: OEM Heated Grips - Fitting Help

Post by tony.mon »

Yep. That will work.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ItsaKeeper

Re: OEM Heated Grips - Fitting Help

Post by ItsaKeeper »

Thanks Tony, I am waiting for the right part number sub-harnesses for the 03 Firestorm to arrive as the ones that I had were for a different bike. Luckily they are still available and not too expensive (around a tenner for the pair).

I couldn't work out from the sub-harnesses I had if they were 'plug and play' into the existing sockets e.g. where the inicator connecter splits for fairing removal or whether the fit had to be 'splice/fudge and play' :)

They should be here in a couple of days and I'll check, my auto electric skills will be challenged!