clean rads

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fishface

clean rads

Post by fishface »

im thinking on flushing out the cooling system
when i replace is it 50/50 of water and anti freeze
thanks paul....
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

50% distilled water and 50% corrosion inhibited ethylene glycol anti freeze.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

GO VERY CAREFULLY HERE !!!!!!!
Not a simple replace job in terms of fluid as ali heads can pick-up soluble contamination.

Sirch (Chris S) has done some research into this (or is that reSirch ?) and found that the genuine Honda stuff is a fair price for the best spec.
I personally won't take a chance as I have had trouble with a head going 'soft' on a car due to heat build up because of this contamination.
Fifty hours of hand porting work goes down the proverbial let alone the cost of the replacement head. :cry:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
fishface

Post by fishface »

8O soluble contamination what is that then
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

A bit pricey but ready mixed silkolene coolant is the way I went after a stone went through my left radiator.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Paul,

Chris (LSM) is right, I have been doing some research into replacement coolant for the Storm.

Apparently you should only use a silicate free coolant with (as SIATC said) distilled water not tap water. The reason being silicate is abrasive and can damage the seals on the water pump and that goes for all Honda's not just the Storm.

Also you shouldn't flush the rad's with tap water either, only distilled.

Honda supply their own coolant that is silicate free, it's an 50/50 mix (50% coolant and 50% water) which is what I will be using when I change mine.

IMO as Chris (LSM) has found out to his expense, it's not worth risking a non suitable coolant :!:

Chris.
solorider

Post by solorider »

go to your local vauxhall dealer,they sell the antfreeze you need,and it is a good price,and cilicate free
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I agree,
It's pretty cheep so just go out and buy a ready mix. Less hassle and no messing about :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal