Cooling System.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
BIG STEVE

Cooling System.

Post by BIG STEVE »

Hi all,
Have had the engine out to do some bits n bobs, i was wondering when i put it all back in. Are there any common snags when re filling the cooling system?
I noticed last night there is a bolt on the front pot that looks like a bleeder ? (have yet to look it up in the manual)
Any of you rebuild guru`s got any tips etc for re filling the cooling system.
Seems with twin rads and all the link pipes air locks could be a problem ?

Cheers

Steve R
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Steve,

I've not done that job yet, although according to the Haynes manual there is a bolt on the front of the front cylinder jacket that's usually removed for draining down.

I have however been looking into getting some anti-freeze/coolant because mine is well over due a change. What I have found out though, is you need to use a silicate free AF/coolant, as apparently all Honda's can suffer with premature water pump failure if you don't. The reason is because silicate based AF/coolants are abrasive and will damage the water pump seals over time :!:

You may be well aware of that above, but just in case you didn't know you do now :wink:

When I do mine I'm going for Honda's own 50/50 mix, 50% coolant and 50% distilled water

Chris.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

glad you bought this up...
before buying my storm i did read on a few sites that water pump failure was a possible issue on all model storms..

so the reason behind it is they type of coolant used?
suppose i should change mine as well just so i know for sure whats in there.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Drain as Haynes suggest but after fill, run engine with right radiator cap off and squeeze coolant pipes on both rads to move the fluid about. You will find on running the engine the level drops, top up the right rad then after rad full top up the overflow tank. Use silicate free coolant as suggested. Silkolene is a common seller.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

Hi all,
Thnks for the tips, i had read about the coolant on here somewhere, but a reminder always helps (cheers chris :D )
I have a honda dealer up the road so what sort of ££ do they knock this stuff out at ?
Silkolene is also an option (tried and tested from my enduro days)
What seal normaly gets "eaten" then on the waterpump? the lil rubber band type one around the pump casing or one behind the impeller ?
So many questions sorry...
The thing is before i took the engine out it was blowing coolant out up my leg and right boot.not gallons but enough to see.
Only when moving along , when i was out on the road.
I could not duplicate in the garage, even when i ran it for ages and ages and idled it and reved it !!
I checked all the hoses etc
Which only left the rad....i have just bought a new pair from a breaker (the left was a bit bent from a prior "involantary dismount")
So i am hoping that this will cure it but now this "silly cat" problem :cry: ads a new dimension.

More input, oh mighty storm gurus

Cheers

Steve R
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
fishface

Post by fishface »

how much fluid does the system hold :?: :?:
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

fishface, after checking the service manual it says 2.9li rads & engine and 0.71li for the "reserve tank" which i guess is the expansion tank ?
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

BIG STEVE wrote: So i am hoping that this will cure it but now this "silly cat" problem :cry: ads a new dimension.
Steve, do what I did, do a google search on coolant/anti-freeze for motorbikes, you'll be surprised what's been written about it :!:

I'm not sure which seals exactly get damaged on the water pump, but my guess is any that are in contact with the coolant if you're using the wrong stuff.

Not sure which year your bike is, but the water pump is known for occassionally loosing a small amount of coolant, that's why on the later models they fitted a drain hose to the water pump housing, so it was taken down and out at the bottom of the engine :!:

Chris.
BIG STEVE

Post by BIG STEVE »

Hi chris,
I am running a "vintage" 1997 FV (in red - of course !)

I have checked the coolant i use Halfrauds - premixed coolant and it states it has silicate free corrosion inhibitors ?

I spose i will have to wait till its all back together and hope the new rads cure it.

Fingers crossed,as coolant on the right hand side of your back tyre makes for some interesting cornering 8O

Cheers All

Steve R
sh1t HAPPENS !!!
solorider

Post by solorider »

for antifreeze try a vauxhall dealer as they sell silicate free anti freeze and it has been designed to give maximum protection for alluminium engines and it is a lot cheaper than what honda dealers charge and even what halfords charge