Mirrors!!!! - can't see a thing

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bosh1471

Mirrors!!!! - can't see a thing

Post by bosh1471 »

Does anyone know if there are any replacement mirrors for the Firestorm as mine are next to useless (except for admiring me elbows!).

Read in some of the bike mags that this is a common problem but they did not offer a solution.
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

You can get (or have fabricated) mirror extenders, which basically fit underneath the mirror bases and add about 20mm of length.
Here's one example made by GenMar:
http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/h216.html

Hope this helps. :)
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Fit R1/R6 mirrors as they apparently fit with no probs :wink:
W@zzA

Mirrors

Post by W@zzA »

Use the later R1 long stem mirrors with the rubber boot from the VTR!
Got them on mine they're 10x better and they don't have a blue tint like the VTR ones so you dont think the rozzers are on your tail :!:

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
simon t

Post by simon t »

Seem to recall seeing a cheap fix elsewhere on this site, involving the foam soles from a pair of flip-flops :!: and extended mounting bolts. Presumably adds a few centimetres.
orange_vtr

Post by orange_vtr »

Think it was this one:

My Mirror Extender mod $7.95 CDN

Haven't tried it but seems a good and cheap idea.
Thomas :lol:

2000 VTR1000 Firestorm
bosh1471

Post by bosh1471 »

Thanx for the help everyone :lol:
Neophyte

Cool...

Post by Neophyte »

I definitely like the 'home made' extender mod. I'll be doing it ASAP! I might just have a problem finding someone over here that stocks screw extenders like shown on Genmar's site.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Warren, what year R1? I just got a 98 Firestorm, and the mirrors are truly shite. I don't like the look of the Genmar things, and I'm not much of a flip flop wearer (by the way, did you know that it was a french man that invented them - Phillippe Faloppe. Sorry.), and nor are any of my mates, so R1 mirrors sound like the most effective & cleanest option. .
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
W@zzA

Mirrors!

Post by W@zzA »

I think 2000 onwards :!: If I remember I had to drill out the rivit of the bottom knuckle joint and swop the base mounts over (use a bolt with a nylock nut to reasemble them) but try them on the bike first if they dont point in the right direction swap the mounts over :idea: I used pattern ones and have no problem with vibrations and where I used the VTR rubber boots it left a bit of bare ally of the R1 stem which you can paint and put an "O" ring in the groove to neaten it up (easier to do this before you put them back together or maybe this was why I took them to bits and the mounts dont need swaping over at all, I can't remember) 8)

Warren
If it aint got the throb it don't do the job! PB.
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Hmmm. I'm a lazy person (sure amn't I on a bike forum at work in the middle of a system upgrade . . .), and that sounds like a lot of work. But it would probably be worth the safer overtakes & better following-copometer factor. Wouldn't it be great if bikes came with interchangeable stalks - same base mount & mirror unit, but a choice of 2 or 3 stalk lengths (anyone listening? MPS? M&P? Manufacturers?). I like my mirror unit. I don't know if it's standard - it's sort of triangular rather than oval - but it looks cool and I'd like to keep it. A 2" longer stalk would do the trick. But I want to do something soon, and it looks like yours is the best solution. I reckon every rider would prefer mirrors that they can see behind with, rather than "good looking" short stalk mirrors that distract & interfere with, nay, hamper safe riding? (Help me down off this soapbox, will ye...)
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS