VTR splutter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Jaceyboy,
i'll give it a go
Chris.
Neophyte

mine not bad at all

Post by Neophyte »

To be honest mine aonly does it on quite a cold day for the first two maybe three stops. After that she's fine, even when stopping from high speed. What I have found that helps is to blip the throttle once or twice after pulling the clutch when stopping. It's as if this help to stop the revs from falling too quickly. Don't know if it's just my imagination but it seems to work for me.
jstring

Post by jstring »

I have seen two theories for this problem and two solutions. One is that the carburetor throats on early firestorms are really too large for the intake manifolds meaning that the air/fuel mixture can't get enough velocity to reliably get pulled into the cylinders, especially at lower revs. According to the author of the following link, Honda fixed the problem by adding 5mm thick restrictor rings to the insides of the intake sometime in 1999. The following link describes the process of swapping the old rubber manifolds for some of the new ones: http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/how ... stem_mods/. The document does not go into detail about any mixture adjustment that I would have thought would be necessary after a modification like this.
The other theory is that this is caused by the float bowls overflowing into the intake and essentially flooding the engine under braking. I am less than convinced by this theory but the following modification which simply involves re-routing the carb breather was apparently an official Honda cure for the problem. Anyway, I cant see that it will do any harm and it is on this link: http://webpages.charter.net/gnemish/index.html. Be careful because the text on the drawing refers to the front carb breather needing re-routing but points to the rear carb. The modifacation should be performed on the rear carb (the one with the TPS attached).
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

1st Theory is wrong coz mine is a 2001 bike :D
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
jstring

Post by jstring »

It just shows you that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet!! :oops:

The 1999 swap-over date may only refer to the US (where the website author is based) but I wouldn't start dismantling your bike just to find out. Faults like this are infuriating. Strangely, I have an early firestorm with race pipes, niether of the above mods and it has not stalled like this once!! (Famous last words).

I would recommend starting with balancing the carbs (and maybe reroute the breather while your at it). Even if it doesn't cure the problem, the benefits are very noticable.
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

Yea thanks, I will do that :)
Jacey Boy
2000/W SP1
Jacey Boy

Post by Jacey Boy »

sirch345 wrote:Cheers Jaceyboy,
i'll give it a go
Chris.
Its part number 433-1459 :wink:
Jacey Boy