hot exhaust fumes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
okcoky

hot exhaust fumes

Post by okcoky »

hi,dont know if i have a problem or not but when my bike was on the side stand today i noticed more smoke comming out of one exhaust than the other.I also noticed that the air was hotter comming out of it.The bike is running fine and have only just had honda service it and they balanced the carbs at the same time.When i say smoke i dont mean thick i mean just the normal little bit.Both cylinders see to be fireing fine and the bike goes and sounds as good as usual.Could it just be that it was on its side stand.I had just completed a 40 mile journey on it so it was well warmed up.It had just got drenched in the rain though.Any help appreciated.
fishface

Post by fishface »

by smoke i hope you mean condensation (steam vapour) 8O
adfski

Post by adfski »

I think it's normal to get a different output from the two pipes. But as fishface says it had better just be moisture or you is burning oil!

I'm sure its fine though. :D
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
okcoky

Post by okcoky »

Yes i mean steam vapour,but why is one hotter?Any ideas?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Length of pipe from cylinder may affect heat properties (one is significantly longer) ,mine does the same in some weathers. No biggy as long as it is running well.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

My triumph was the same,it had a 4 into 2 fitted,not only was one side slightly smokier,it also got very slightly warmer to the touch ,more quickly than the other side,when started from cold. :!:
Very apparent in the winter when the exhaust gases were more visible,hardly noticeable in summer apart maybe from startin from cold :!:
Ran it nearly 4 years no probs,,,,so id say Dont worry aboot it :!:
okcoky

Post by okcoky »

Thanks for the peace of mind guys and gals.Jesus i sounded like jimmy saville then.lol.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I agree with what everyone else has said and mine has always done the same too.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Dean O

Post by Dean O »

I queried my SP1 running hotter on the rhs can with the guy who dyno'd it - its normal apparently :wink:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If yuo remove the right hand side can then look into the 1-2 link pipe you'll see that a part of the pipe protrudes into the tube at the join about 2" in. This (as you can see by looking at previous threads) is to do with balancing the can pressure at full chat.

Some people (me included) ground out the protruding bit, can't say I noticed a difference but the I'm running straight through carbon cans which don't restrict anything anyway.

But even with this ground out, the can pressures are different.
I assume that it's a result of one link pipe bending a lot more than the other.

Nuffink to worry about, anyway.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
okcoky

Post by okcoky »

Cheers again folks.