Touring on a storm....

General Bike chat
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

800 miles in 2 days to Mugello was fine.

Main thing that I noticed was you not road riding in 1.5 years.

If you used to go jogging then stopped for a year, when you go back to it you're gonna wonder how your aching body ever coped in the first place.

Riding bikes is a position you're not sat in doing any other daily activity so your riding fitness is gonna suffer. I noticed when I got mine after being off for a long time that I had the same issue. Especially right hand as the weight on a twisting wrist exacerbates the problem.

Went away though as I got used to it again. Just give it a few eeks and see how it goes before trying to fix a problem that might not be there.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I'm with Kitch on this one.
It takes a while to get back into the swing of things , that's all.
In the mean time try moving your hand around on the throttle. If you are cruising on the moterway, just use a couple of fingers for a few minutes and then maybe change your grip and use all four (you do have four fingers don't you?) fingers with your thumb ontop of the bar, then grip properly for a bit. Get the idea! I find this helps with keeping the circulation going and stops the numbness or pins & needles of long distance stuff. It also helps keep me little puddies warmer in the winter too :wink:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I have been riding constantly for those 2 years tho, just I'm usually doing this

ImageImageImage

:lol: :lol:

I guess I just need to get used to sitting down for so long. :lol:
99' Firestorm in the best colour!! :cool:
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Timbo wrote:Looks cool, but surely it requires strong wrists?

Gonna do that on your Storm? :roll:
That's my point, I'm sure my wrist is fine.. I do weight training 3 times a week as well as a physical job so I'm fairly active.. its just weird that it goes numb on this bike as I don't have the problem on the CBR.

And nope, the storm is for touring on... I have wheelied it once or twice but REALLY trying not to. I have the CBR for that sorta stuff, got the VTR for some euro touring holidays, bit of adventure :)
99' Firestorm in the best colour!! :cool:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Ive got a Kevin Carmichael dvd where he wheelies a triumph Rocket 3 :!: :twisted:
Hes a local lad,he used to wheelie down the main road in the village here,his girl lived in street behind me.
I think he married or is goin out with a foreign girly, :wink:
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Pete.L wrote:just use a couple of fingers for a few minutes and then maybe change your grip and use all four (you do have four fingers don't you?) fingers with your thumb ontop of the bar, then grip properly for a bit. Get the idea! I find this helps with keeping the circulation going and stops the numbness or pins & needles of long distance stuff. It also helps keep me little puddies warmer in the winter too :wink:
snigger :roll:
Rich.

clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Timbo wrote:as i am a bog lad and not so much weight was on my hands/wrists.
Not so sure what you're laughing about Timbo :lol:
pariah

Post by pariah »

Big lad=fat fingers=sh1t at typing on laptop :)[/quote]

But kind, considert, big hearted womaniser, who rides like the demon on his big green kwakasaki :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cupasoop wrote:
Pete.L wrote:just use a couple of fingers for a few minutes and then maybe change your grip and use all four (you do have four fingers don't you?) fingers with your thumb ontop of the bar, then grip properly for a bit. Get the idea! I find this helps with keeping the circulation going and stops the numbness or pins & needles of long distance stuff. It also helps keep me little puddies warmer in the winter too :wink:
snigger :roll:
8O 8O 8O
Okay, Okay!
When you read it out of context you'd think I'd posted this on the wrong site....My Bad :oops:
Mind you, with you lot I should have know better :lol:

Looking good Sparks (in a non-gay kind of way :wink: )

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bvghead

Post by bvghead »

LotusSevenMan wrote:+ some lowered pegs to cope with my 6' 2" tall frame.
Did you modify the existing ones or get new? I'd like to do this too.... hmm but ground clearance will be reduced...
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Touring? Yes Sir!
Every year, 3700-4000 km in 6-7 days without motorways, all canyons and backroads. Never sleeped twice in same area :)
Mods - CBR1000F clip-ons, 19 liter tank, seriously tricky Wilbers all-singing shock, Hyperpro fork springs with correct oil, Arrows cans, soft bag strapped to rear seat and CLEAN airfilter (that means 200 km till reserve on backroads). No single problem except crash last year. And? Filled hole in engine cover with that resin stuff, made imitation of right footpeg from tools and metal wire and did another 1500 losin less oil than my friends FZR used to eat "normally".
Best mods for touring: tank, CBR clipons and suspension. It's better to raise all bike and lower pegs than just to lower pegs IMO.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

BikerPiker

Advert for Triumph has a wheelying Rocket III!
Rather funny this lot IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEuzxC4eGc
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: